Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 05-06-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
RamAir02's "Tastefully Modded" 2010 SS Plan

I ordered:

2010 Camaro 2SS
LS3/M6
Black/Black
RS Package

My plan is to build a street/strip daily driver with tasteful, straight-to-the-point
POWER mods.

First of all is to get rid of the stock shifter. I've always been a fan of extremely short throws combined with a short stick. In addition to having a better feel with more positive shifts, it should also increase my ability to shift quicker. Hopefully Pro 5.0 comes out with something nice.

Next up is intake/exhaust. Long tube headers, test pipes in place of cats and a catback exhaust are a must. I've always used Kooks headers and assume their offering for the Camaro will be top notch. As far as exhaust, I may consider a custom setup with resonators (resembling a GMMG system), but if not I'll be sure to pick up a top notch aftermarket piece (Corsa, Borla, Magnaflow, SLP, etc.) To accomodate all of this exiting air, I need to allow more air to come into the engine This will be solved with a CAI, ported throttle body and the new FAST manifold for the LS3.

Now its time to dig into that motor! A combo consisting of ported LS3 or LS7 heads and a nice 230ish duration and low-to-mid .600 lift should do the trick. Ofcourse this would be accomodated by the new PRC spring kit, pushrods, oil pump, timing chain, etc.

As far as wheels/tires/rear gears I need to find a good combination. I'm not sure what wheels will fit over those Brembos, but I'm thinking a 19" rim with some meaty drag radials would work. Regardless of what wheel/tire setup I end up with, aftermarket rear gears will most likely be necessary to put this power to the ground. I believe the stock wheel/tire setup is about 28" tall, so a nice tall 4.11 or 4.30 gear will definitely give me some nice whiplash off the line.

To give her a great stance (and probably try to hide all that fenderwell space if I run smaller rims) the next step would be suspension. I suspect about a 1-1.25" drop would be suitable. Probably aftermarket springs paired with some QA1s.

I'm not one for appearance mods, but there is one thing I've been toying around with. Once the beast is built, I think a white stripe around the nose (resembling that of the 1st gen) would be tasteful. I'm not too sure if it would work with the lines of the 5th gen, but its definitely something to consider.

Please, any feedback or criticism is much appreciated. I'd love to hear your guys thoughts and opinions on my 2010 Camaro plans.

EDIT: Summary of Mod List
1. short throw shifter
2. long tube headers
3. custom or aftermarket exhaust (catless)
4. cold air induction
5. ported throttle body
6. aftermarket intake manifold
7. ported LS3 or LS7 heads
8. cam
9. ported oil pump
10. double roller timing chain
11. wheels/tires
12. rear gears
13. shocks/springs
14. 20% tint on rear window and side rear windows
15. tinted side markers and reverse lights

Last edited by RamAir02; 05-11-2009 at 02:05 PM.
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 AM   #2
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
wow, you just blew my mind..lol. It all sounds great and will definately have your camaro roided up with it all.
Can't wait for HP results with it all...will be respectable for sure!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:45 AM   #3
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

A few more little things (all in tribute to the 1st gen) that I've been thinking about adding to the car:

The "Camaro" script emblem on the driver's side front of the car (in front of the hood, but above the grill). I guess you'd call it the nose of the car.

The "flags" emblem under the stock "CAMARO" emblems on the fenders.

The "SS" emblem replacing the stock "bowtie" emblem on the front grill. If I don't do this, then definitely paint the stock emblem black.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
nice!!! where can i get the ss emblem? and will it fit>??

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

The pic I posted is from Rick's First Gen and is a restoration part. They sell a couple of types: one for the RS grill and one for the non-RS grill. I'm not sure if either of them would fit on the 5th gen, but I'm sure there will be offerings in the aftermarket. I think a RED "SS" emblem would compliment my black SS/RS nicely.

EDIT: Here's the link to Rick's First Gen if you wanna snoop around yourself. http://www.rickscamaros.com/
There are also many other places that sell camaro restoration parts, such as Classic Industries, Year One, D&R Classic, The Paddock, National Parts Depot, etc.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
you're going to have to get another grille.

There's going to be an indentation where the bowtie is.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:09 AM   #7
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
oooo i guess well have to wait and see what comes out huh

all in time

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
you're going to have to get another grille.

There's going to be an indentation where the bowtie is.
Thank you. I did not know that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the aftermarket has to offer. If there are no grill options that I really love, I'll probably settle for a black painted "bowtie" emblem.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
Old 05-06-2009, 02:15 AM   #9
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
oooo i guess well have to wait and see what comes out huh

all in time
Exactly!
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
Old 05-06-2009, 03:15 AM   #10
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
Very nice man. :respect:
Old 05-06-2009, 03:19 AM   #11
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
I'm wondering if the chevelle SS emblems are the same size as the camaro's, because I have an extra for my 70 chevelle....would look good.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #12
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

My local dealer got ina Black 2SS Auto w/ no sunroof and a Rally Yellow 2LT Auto w/ sunroof. After seeing both cars, I nixed the sunroof on my order. I'm not a fan of how it looks when opened, and I prefer the lines of the non-sunroof car.

On another note, I set up a local place to come to the dealership when the car arrives to tint the windows. 20% on rear and side rear windows. 35% on driver and passenger windows.

YouTube
Old 05-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #13
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

After seeing the pics of the blacked out silver v6 'maro in the Photos section, I've decided on a couple of more small things to accent my Black SS.

1. Tint sidemarkers
2. Tint reverse lights

The tails I'll leave alone. I love the look of the RS taillights and I'd get pulled over on a daily basis in Jersey with black tails!

YouTube
Old 05-19-2009, 12:16 AM   #14
Bewenched

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Bewenched Send a message via MSN to Bewenched
No reason to tint the backups and side markers, GT Styling is coming out with some in a few weeks.
Bewenched is offline   Reply With Quote