Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Lightbulb Zeta Platform -- Handling and balance?

Folks, while we've been antagonizing over the styling/powertrain/interior aspects of the zeta-based 5th-gen, how many have discussed the overall handling/braking/balance aspects of the platform????

I don't want to open a "wish list" here, I just want "theorization" (my favorite internet pursuit) of how well this thing will HANDLE on a road-course????

My particular passion (as if you couldn't tell) is road-racing (not on the streets) on classic courses such as Laguna Seca, etc.

Not that I would, but if I COULD.....how well would the 5th-gen (with track-appropriate upgrades) perform on the track?

Most notable would be overall lap times, durability, etc.....

Anyone have any thoughts on this???

EDIT: PS- one of the main reasons I ask is, I know "The Aussies" and their Holden cars have competed QUITE WELL, for years, with their Ford (ACK!) counterparts in the "V8 Supercars" series Down Under. If you like thrilling racing, you owe it to yourself to watch some V8 SC racing action on the Speed channel!

THANKS.

Last edited by 2KZ28_For_Now; 03-05-2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: typos, and add'l thoughts
2KZ28_For_Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:08 AM   #2
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
I personaly Believe the Zeta Platform, Will Handel Amazingly well on the track. With it's independent weight distribution it should handle well with tight turns and those bouncy roads.
I'm really waiting to see the press conference on the pre-production car or see spy footage of it driving. I can't really judge the car by stills and even though I've seen all the footage out there of the car, I'd really have to see the car open up to see how it handles.
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:24 AM   #3
2KZ28_For_Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianwhiplash View Post
I personaly Believe the Zeta Platform, Will Handel Amazingly well on the track. With it's independent weight distribution it should handle well with tight turns and those bouncy roads.
I'm really waiting to see the press conference on the pre-production car or see spy footage of it driving. I can't really judge the car by stills and even though I've seen all the footage out there of the car, I'd really have to see the car open up to see how it handles.
Thanks! This is one of the main things in question....but I'd bet a Dollar for a Donut that GM/Holden spent ALL THIS TIME refining the PLATFORM. That's what will sell more cars, regardless of the body shell.

I for one, am very glad they spent the time to "get it right."
Old 03-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm not a turn-and-burn kinda' driver however, I think I could easily get into that. I am very interested too

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
While I don't think it will be on the same level as most exotics, I do think it will be able to easily dominate the live-axle Mustangs and the Dodge muscle car offerings. In an ideal world? I'd say hope for muscle car HP with import handling.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 View Post
While I don't think it will be on the same level as most exotics, I do think it will be able to easily dominate the live-axle Mustangs and the Dodge muscle car offerings. In an ideal world? I'd say hope for muscle car HP with import handling.
+1

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Here's what I've found from the other Zeta cars
  • G8 can do the slalom at 66 mph, thats better than the BMW 535i
  • Skidpad numbers are in the 0.85 - 0.89 range
  • The G8 has 50-50 weight distribution with driver and passenger, i think its around 52-48 with only the driver.
  • Topgear tested the VXR8 against European sports sedans, it beat them in a straight line as well as in the corner
  • Someone did a comparision between and Audi (R8?) and the VXR8 where the Zeta was given a head start. The audi could not pass it in the turns and lost ground in the straights.
So I don't think that there will be much in the way of handling issues when the Camaro comes out
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Ooo; good info.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
So far the G8 GT reviews have been good in regards to handling so I have a good feeling that the Camaro will be similar or better. If it's only good in a straight line I have no use for it.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
  • The G8 has 50-50 weight distribution with driver and passenger, i think its around 52-48 with only the driver.
  • Topgear tested the VXR8 against European sports sedans, it beat them in a straight line as well as in the corner
  • Someone did a comparision between and Audi (R8?) and the VXR8 where the Zeta was given a head start. The audi could not pass it in the turns and lost ground in the straights.
So I don't think that there will be much in the way of handling issues when the Camaro comes out
Wow That is truly, amazing info
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #11
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
That's the good stuff.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
Gatecrasher
User

Drives: 1994 Stealth R/T Turbo
I'm excited to see reviews of the rumored G8 GXP. That ought to give us some really good indications of what the Camaro will be capable of.

Hopefully it'll show up at the New York auto show in a couple weeks. The GM Source is saying the Solstice Targa will be there, so maybe they'll drop the G8 GXP as well and make Pontiac the stars of that show.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

That would be cool. The more I learn about the car, the better contender that would be if, for some odd reason, I don't get a Camaro.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-06-2008, 02:28 AM   #14
2KZ28_For_Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

Thanks - exactly what I was looking for. Good Stuff.