Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #15
angryBits
aka: Aaron

Drives: Nimbus 2000
They're different and bound to have different success stories. Use the one that works best for you.

As for using an octane booster vs not -- that's up to the owner's level of paranoia. Personally my paranoia level is high when it comes to things I love. I've never had a car longer than 3 years but I've loved every one of them like I was going to be buried in it.

This car is no different. Orange tint is scary enough for me I vote for the tune.

If you're argument against a tune is "voids the warranty", well that orange tint might have done that already... Healthy paranoia -- it's an evolutionary advantage

EDIT: "Healthy paranoia -- it's an evolutionary advantage" ... Damn, wish I could get that on a T-Shirt

Dr.Z: 2015 Douchey Red ZL1 6MT. Mods: ARH LTs&HF, CAI, SAFE 91 Tune = 530rwhp
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:15 PM   #16
Six.Two SC

Drives: 2018 Summit White Camaro 1SS
BOOSTane vs Torco, quick thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
I don't think Torco has the same issue with discoloration.
If you look at the pics above, it says Torco spark plug.

Regardless, I've finally got my KR under control with boostane. I'm happy. Curious to see if I can keep the KR in check when I add a rotofab CIA on Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Added: Diode Dynamics Black LED Sidemarkers, GM Dark Finish Tailights, GM ZL1 Black 3rd Brake Light, Black Plastidipped Bowties(front/rear), AFE Dry Drop In Filter, 12mm Spacers(front/rear)
Six.Two SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:05 PM   #17
shinzon
Night Fury

Drives: 2014 ZL1
This car is no different. Orange tint is scary enough for me I vote for the tune._

All depends on who does the tune, right. Get a bad tune and knock gets worse, then you get internal issues, then you get VOID> Then you get a rebuild out of your own wallet.

Sometimes... inaction is the best action

especially given your track record of flipping cars, why put yourself at risk here when in 2.75 years you will be driving something else ?

2014 Black ZL1 - Toothless -
Previous Lovers :2014 1LE , 2010 2SS RS,2004 GTO, 2000 Camaro SS x 2
shinzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:48 AM   #18
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinzon View Post
This car is no different. Orange tint is scary enough for me I vote for the tune._

All depends on who does the tune, right. Get a bad tune and knock gets worse, then you get internal issues, then you get VOID> Then you get a rebuild out of your own wallet.

Sometimes... inaction is the best action

especially given your track record of flipping cars, why put yourself at risk here when in 2.75 years you will be driving something else ?
It's true -- I ask myself the same question. I guess I just enjoy getting the most out of a car and then turn it over for the next one. But every time I'm in the process, I honestly believe "this one is the last one."

Old 05-04-2015, 07:06 AM   #19
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six.Two SC View Post
If you look at the pics above, it says Torco spark plug.

Regardless, I've finally got my KR under control with boostane. I'm happy. Curious to see if I can keep the KR in check when I add a rotofab CIA on Tuesday.

I've looked at those pics four times and can't find the word Torco anywhere on them, sorry if I missed it. My point was it states on boostane's site about the orange tint. I use Torco and have had two cases setting in my garage all winter. I carefully opened one up not to disturb it, shinned a light down the can to CLEARLY see the bottom. If you look at boostane test between the two, after 12 hrs Torco has all these deposits at the bottom. I don't see that in my tests. Its called marketing. I would love to try boostane though, maybe when I've used up the Torco. I'm not
worried about them, because I only use it about five times a year at the strip.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:55 AM   #20
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
I've looked at those pics four times and can't find the word Torco anywhere on them, sorry if I missed it. My point was it states on boostane's site about the orange tint. I use Torco and have had two cases setting in my garage all winter. I carefully opened one up not to disturb it, shinned a light down the can to CLEARLY see the bottom. If you look at boostane test between the two, after 12 hrs Torco has all these deposits at the bottom. I don't see that in my tests. Its called marketing. I would love to try boostane though, maybe when I've used up the Torco. I'm not
worried about them, because I only use it about five times a year at the strip.
I found some info that indicated that it starts to precipitate after it is opened and exposed to ambient light, specifically UV light.

And they say the carrier liquid can keep the octane boosting ingredients(MMT) in suspension better, therefore they can make it stronger and more effective than Torco.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #21
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Bullshit. It won't hurt anything. And I've never seen any plugs of mine look like that when I use it. They have a red tint to them. But never get all cruded up like that.
+1 Ive been using Torco for 2yrs now and yes there is a tint to them as well but from what ive experienced first time you get on the pedal it all clears out. You can actually see a small red cloud of smoke as soon as you hit it then it clears out. Kinda like clearing your throat. LOL
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #22
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyZL-1 View Post
+1 Ive been using Torco for 2yrs now and yes there is a tint to them as well but from what ive experienced first time you get on the pedal it all clears out. You can actually see a small red cloud of smoke as soon as you hit it then it clears out. Kinda like clearing your throat. LOL
Feeding my paranoia...

Old 05-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #23
Six.Two SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
I found some info that indicated that it starts to precipitate after it is opened and exposed to ambient light, specifically UV light.

And they say the carrier liquid can keep the octane boosting ingredients(MMT) in suspension better, therefore they can make it stronger and more effective than Torco.
You're exactly right.

Plus, I've had first hand experience with both and Boostane works WAY better than Torco for me. It's an obvious choice.

Added: Diode Dynamics Black LED Sidemarkers, GM Dark Finish Tailights, GM ZL1 Black 3rd Brake Light, Black Plastidipped Bowties(front/rear), AFE Dry Drop In Filter, 12mm Spacers(front/rear)
Old 05-05-2015, 12:29 PM   #24
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six.Two SC View Post
You're exactly right.

Plus, I've had first hand experience with both and Boostane works WAY better than Torco for me. It's an obvious choice.
Ok I ordered a six-pack of it. I'm gonna try it and will definitely let you know my take on it. It's the same loadings as Torco to get 104octane and hopefully I'll get it before this weekend. I plan on dropping top and hitting the Hill Country so I'll be able to run at least two tankfuls of the stuff.
Stay tuned!!
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #25
Six.Two SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyZL-1 View Post
Ok I ordered a six-pack of it. I'm gonna try it and will definitely let you know my take on it. It's the same loadings as Torco to get 104octane and hopefully I'll get it before this weekend. I plan on dropping top and hitting the Hill Country so I'll be able to run at least two tankfuls of the stuff.
Stay tuned!!
SWEET!!!!

Keep us posted!!

Old 05-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #26
Six.Two SC

BOOSTane vs Torco, quick thoughts...

FWIW, no added KR with Rotofab CAI. Boostane is great!! YES!!

Old 05-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #27
SCHUSS
657 RWHP + 585 Torque

Drives: 13' HPE 700 ZL1, IOM vert, M6
Old 05-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #28
Johnny Mac

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I picked up two 5 gal. Cans of 100 octane $ 8.99, $90.00. Try 4gal to a tank of 91.

How much is the boostane?

What's going to happen in the long run to a stock car running california 91 octane?
Johnny Mac is offline   Reply With Quote