Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
electric_monk

Drives: 2014 LS1
Angry Reverse light wiring

For some background: I have a 2014 LS, and last weekend I installed one of those Chinese Android head units in combination with the RadioPro5 "stock HVAC" dash kit, and I added a backup camera while I was at it.

Everything's working fine (after some minor repeair of manufacturing defects of the dash kit!) except for the reverse camera, but the wiring is fine, and it turned out to be a problem I've had ever since I bought the car - the reverse lights aren't working.

While I was under warranty I took it in repeatedly for this issue but they always just changed the bulbs and said it was fine. And it's true, intermittently, they (and the backup camera) do work. They'll often flicker and flash briefly while reversing. I hadn't noticed any of this until I got the dashcam.

The head unit uses the dash kit's reverse signal, which is the same as drives the giant "R" that appears on the instrument panel, and this always works, so the switch on the gearbox is fine.

So in brief:
- Gearbox switch as fine, as car's computers (instrument display, dash kit) know the car has been put in reverse
- The "car lock/unlock" all-lights-on also intermittenly illuminate them
- Happened before reverse cam was installed, so not a wiring fault
- Happens to both sides at the same time, so fault is somewhere central
- Intermittent, occassionally they work fine, so not a fuse

Has anyone else had similar experiences? It's especially irritating that they never really fixed it while it was under warranty, but I suspect I'll need to fix it myself if I don't want to pay a lot of money now, so does anyone have any clues as to where in the car to check the wiring harness/connectors? Thanks!
electric_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Manual or automatic?
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:43 AM   #3
electric_monk

Sorry, it's a V6 manual
Old 02-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #4
CamiLFX

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
I'd start testing by unplugging individual lights to see if you can locate a short. Either that, or go at it with a DMM.
CamiLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:18 AM   #5
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
On a manual there is a reverse light switch on the transmission. I would start from there with a meter.
The reason I asked is because on an auto they are controlled by the can-bus.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #6
electric_monk

Thanks for the replies. The main reason I don't suspect the switch on the transmission is that I assume there's only one, and the car (instrument panel, car stereo) does know the car's in reverse, so the reverse signal is at least making it to whatever processes that signal (I assume the BCM). It's somewhere between there and the rear lights that's intermittently disconnecting.

The main issue is I'm not sure where the reverse lighting wiring goes through the wiring harness (so as to allow me to jiggle/check connectors)