Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-15-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
Speeding Ticket

Yup i knew it was coming but kinda weird how they caught me. Going the usual speed after work (1-2am) and out of nowhere i just see lights flashing like at least 30 car links behind me (real far away). I know i was doing 95-98. On the ticket he wrote 80+ but didnt write any radar equipment used even though he said "i clocked you going 90". He messed up on writing the time he stopped me, he put 1:05PM instead of 1:05AM idk if that makes a difference lol.

And yes speeding is not a good thing but when the I-10's 6 lanes are open with no cars in sight then you kinda just don't feel that speed.
So yeah this happened in Upland, Ca. Whats your thoughts on this? He let me off the hook by putting me at 80+ and not the 90 he said. Then again I'm skeptical on how he gauged me going that fast if he was like 1/4 of a mile away from me?

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
RipperFox
Grrr!!!

Drives: BLK/IOM '11 2SS/RS
1. Visual estimation.
2. Paced you
3. Stop watch of know distance. Thats how they VASCAR you.

Radar is for verification only. and yes, they can write you a ticket on visual estimation of speed.
3. See rule #1
RipperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:00 AM   #3
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
just consider yourself lucky he didn't take your lisence on the spot and pay the fine.
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Sounds like he paced you. Thats the way I write it when I do it. He most likely pegged his speed @ 80 and watched you keep pulling away from him thus you are over 80 but exactly how far is unknown . Sounds like you got lucky to me. and thanks for not cop bashin'.

Last edited by SILVERHAWK; 12-15-2010 at 09:35 AM.
SILVERHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
You at risk if you go 10 over the limit. Stay within that and your OK.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
the upcoming

Drives: 10'2SS/RS,94'toyoda,02'vette
Shoulda grabed the ticket then turn to the cop and say well would you just look at this!!!! Just look at it look at this look at that just LOOK at it!!!!!!!!!!!
the upcoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
actually the 10 MPH does not work anymore. The best course of action is if you are goiing to speed then go 10% over and not any faster.
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
SSdude

Drives: Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by the upcoming View Post
Shoulda grabed the ticket then turn to the cop and say well would you just look at this!!!! Just look at it look at this look at that just LOOK at it!!!!!!!!!!!
lol
SSdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
alab32

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Yup... Sounds like you are pretty lucky; could have been much worse. There are many ways the officer could have pegged your speed. And I am with SILVERHAWK, thanks for not cop bashing.

alab32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
9 your fine 10 your mine thats what I was taught good luck. Lawyer is usually your out but a lot of times you dont need them shop around good luck.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbheat View Post
Yup i knew it was coming but kinda weird how they caught me. Going the usual speed after work (1-2am) and out of nowhere i just see lights flashing like at least 30 car links behind me (real far away).
Should of cut the lights and nailed it
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
Skyblu

Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
I don't know what your laws are out there but here in florida cop car speedometers have to be tested every six months for accuracy for "pacing purposes" if they will be issuing tickets same for radar guns. This is what my husband does for a living testing the cars for accuracy he gives them a certificate showing speeds from 15-90 mph and noting the difference if any, I believe it can be no more than 3 mph off to pass + or -. So here in florida if you get a ticket and you think you were not going as fast as they say you were you go to court and ask to see their updated certificate for radar and or speedometer and if they can't produce and up to date form you win they lose.
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:54 AM   #13
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERHAWK View Post
Sounds like he paced you. Thats the way I write it when I do it. He most likely pegged his speed @ 80 and watched you keep pulling away from him thus you are over 80 but exactly how far is unknown . Sounds like you got lucky to me. and thanks for not cop bashin'.

Yeah makes sense. I've had a clean record for the past 6yrs, so how do you think it might go for me. How are they going to give me a fine since it states 80+ and not a specific speed. Or its up to the discretion of the judge? Hopefully the fine isn't over $500.

No point in cop bashing since I was in the wrong. They have a job and clearly they executed on catching someone. I do consider myself lucky. Working 12hr shifts Mon-Fri can put you in a different state of mind when you drive.

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #14
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
As far as a penalty that will depend on your statute in CA. Example: In my jurisdiction I can use a generalized "UNSAFE speed" not quite reckless but too fast either for traffic or weather conditions that way I don't have to testify about locking you in to a specific number. Or I can pin the specific number for Speeding ie., 80 in 65 or 55 zone. Then the fines and costs are usually set to some certain scale-- a base fine and some added cost for each mph over the limit. I am assuming that you have to appear for this since you asked what the judge could or will do to you. I surely hope judges there can't make up there own fines for each case. Someone else on here may be able to better help you with CA traffic law. (We can't get much farther from each other in the lower 48 East Coast/West Coast) I think the 80 + is just so the officer can articulate his citation that you were in excess of that certain speed. I can't see the judge being able to use it to increase the penalty for a number above that because its not known (only by you). Here in DE we don't have mandatory appearances for speeding unless the officer sets it that way. The only reason you go to court here for speeding is if you want a trial or you want to attempt to get it reduced by talking to the officer or prosecutor. Here a 6 yr clean driving record could get you a chance at having the ticket discharged on probation you just end up paying the fine-- no points and no record to DMV, (but you have to ask the judge for this).
If the judge gives you a chance to speak for yourself just tell him that you are sorry for you actions and that now you've learned to set the speed limit warning system on your new car so you'll never end up in front of him/her again. Thats pretty scary when you said I hope the fine isn't over $500.00 holy f@#%! my usual 5 over ticket is $65.60 thats what I reduce everything to on the road if its less than 30 over (i usually don't issue tickets until you are 19-20 over 10-15 in residential).

Last edited by SILVERHAWK; 12-17-2010 at 08:59 AM.
SILVERHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote