Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 02-28-2022, 09:09 PM   #15
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
That's a darn good "Drag racing w/manual transmission 101" class Mr Acammer. Plenty of good info. It shows that in order to be REAL good with a stick you've got to be a student of the game. Plenty of seat time and dedication. With proper upgrades the trans and IRS can take a bit of abuse. Nice to know.
You nailed it - always be learning!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:54 PM   #16
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
More RPM, more slip, and less throttle pedal will get that to roll those first few feet under better control and keep the tire hooked up. My quick read on watching the videos is your initial bite on the release is way too hard, shocks the tires, and then you're playing recovery from there with the throttle and it's actually lazy for a tick and then comes right back on. Using the e-brake and preloading will definitely help you be right on that engagement point with the clutch, rather than it surprising you as you make your release. We've talked, it's a lot of car to hook up, and some seat time will help a bunch.

For other guys checking this out that are interested in the "preload" method for stick cars, I have a long boring youtube video about it. It has some good info on how to use that technique to gain consistency and most importantly reduce breaking - those shock loads on the initial clutch release (and any accompanying wheel hop) is what kills driveline parts.

Yea, that's pretty much what happened. I will admit, I was a bit nervous, and everything I had planned to do, went out the window. I can see how sticking to a process can help you be more consistent and also ease nerves. Although after 4 passes I was more excited than nervous. The car didn't skip a beat. In fact I'm pretty sure I made more passes than anyone at our private rental, ahaha. T's and P's stayed happy and nothing broke. Very happy with the day's outcome overall.

It figures, as soon as I build a capable car, my track is closing down.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 03:45 PM   #17
Dbunch9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your trap speed is 30mph higher than my Camaro trapped and now I drive a cobalt ss after pressing reset in life, so by no means is my next comment shit talk or hate, but I feel like even tho these cars are pretty heavy it should trap higher than 147 for 1100whp no?
Dbunch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:43 AM   #18
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbunch9 View Post
Your trap speed is 30mph higher than my Camaro trapped and now I drive a cobalt ss after pressing reset in life, so by no means is my next comment shit talk or hate, but I feel like even tho these cars are pretty heavy it should trap higher than 147 for 1100whp no?
The car made 1140whp without the air filter and piping in place. 1158whp with the bellmouth. With the air filter on, it made 1080whp with E77 and 20.5 degrees of timing. My intake temps were 108 degrees on the dyno.

At the track, I ran the air filter, and it was hot. Intake temps were creeping up to 140. The tune was only allowing for 18 degrees of timing that day. I have no idea what the actual power was, but this is gonna vary every time you go to the track. It is what it is.

Consider this... Go take a look at the camaro5 fast list Section 15, which is Anything goes M6. The fastest Manual transmission car we have on record trapped 145mph. If I were to cut a 1.6 60' instead of a 2.0, my 10.4 would have been a 9.6. I'm not trying to bench race here, but I think the power is displayed pretty accurately by the MPH and the cars weight.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:19 AM   #19
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Sup DBunch - been a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
The car made 1140whp without the air filter and piping in place. 1158whp with the bellmouth. With the air filter on, it made 1080whp with E77 and 20.5 degrees of timing. My intake temps were 108 degrees on the dyno.

At the track, I ran the air filter, and it was hot. Intake temps were creeping up to 140. The tune was only allowing for 18 degrees of timing that day. I have no idea what the actual power was, but this is gonna vary every time you go to the track. It is what it is.

Consider this... Go take a look at the camaro5 fast list Section 15, which is Anything goes M6. The fastest Manual transmission car we have on record trapped 145mph. If I were to cut a 1.6 60' instead of a 2.0, my 10.4 would have been a 9.6. I'm not trying to bench race here, but I think the power is displayed pretty accurately by the MPH and the cars weight.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013
100% the 60' will have a significant influence on the trap speed. The faster you accelerate that car in those first few feet, the better it'll trap. This car will absolutely trap in the 150's as the launch comes around. That power and weight in a manual car is a tremendous handful. It would be extremely easy to break anything and everything between the crankshaft and the lug nuts without a careful application of that kind of power. It's definitely something you sneak up on rather than go out and crush a big number the first couple passes. A little more practice and that car will run well into the 9s - just takes time.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 04:27 PM   #20
Dbunch9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Sup DBunch - been a while!

100% the 60' will have a significant influence on the trap speed. The faster you accelerate that car in those first few feet, the better it'll trap. This car will absolutely trap in the 150's as the launch comes around. That power and weight in a manual car is a tremendous handful. It would be extremely easy to break anything and everything between the crankshaft and the lug nuts without a careful application of that kind of power. It's definitely something you sneak up on rather than go out and crush a big number the first couple passes. A little more practice and that car will run well into the 9s - just takes time.
Sup dude! Definitely been awhile haha

Makes sense though. Like I said, wasn’t hating on the OP but I’m sure there’s more trap speed in it. Idk what my obsession with trap speed is lol regardless.. 147 is flyin! Whether that’s a hero pass or walking it out the hole.
Dbunch9 is offline   Reply With Quote