Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
FastEddie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IOM LS3 2SS/RS Camaro
New low for Law Enforcement Harassment: Ticketed while pumping gas.

This afternoon I was getting gas and coffee at my neighborhood gas station. While I am drinking coffee and the gas pumped An officer drives behind my car rolls down his window & begins to run the tag while it is at the pump I am nowhere near the car and haven't been for minutes at this point. I walk over and close the pump. The officer turns on his lights calls me over and asks if this was my car. My answer was "Yessir"- he then asks for my license. I tell him "Here you go but why do you need to see it, I wasnt driving" "-Sorry about the plate-I continued "forgot to switch it- it's right here in the trunk" (New tag was for when I redid my registration to take EddieSr. off of it, so- same name anyway) Long story short. The officer wrote me a ticket for Driving w/ a susp. License. He had me dead to rights on the tag even switched it to comply right there in front of him- but the driving?! *A friend drove me to the pump and didn't return when he saw the officer (then K9 backup)*... I am so glad that if my car is ever stolen the police will discover it before you can call "Onstar". Or say the word "profiling" even. Watch your back Camaro brethren! There are cops out here who have a hard-on for these cars (And maybe certain drivers of said cars). I am convinced of this now. Needles to say I am going to fight this in court. Wish me luck!

*My story and I'm sticking to it.*
Old 06-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
Did you have a suspended license?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Wow. FastEddie, the technicality of "driving" is interesting. If he observed you driving the car, then I guess you're toast. But if he did not, or you did not actually drive the car to the pump, then it would be interesting to see how it plays out in court. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
FastEddie
Account Suspended

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
wise

Drives: 1SS/1LE
Not to flame, but why are you driving with a suspended license? Still an odd scenario to have your tags ran. What got your license suspended in the first place?

Still interested to see what becomes of this in court.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
FastEddie
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS 2011 View Post
Did you have a suspended license?
Yes. It was also suspended yesterday. I have suspicions It will be suspended tomorrow too.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
I must be drunk or something....this thread is incoherent.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
ontheaccount

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wise View Post
Not to flame, but why are you driving with a suspended license? Still an odd scenario to have your tags ran. What got your license suspended in the first place?

He said his friend was driving him and took off when he saw the police.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
HELLO FRIENDS!!!! I was on vacation out of country for a few weeks, but dammit I am back!!....

Sorry, can't side with either party in this story because there isn't enough information..that is right, I cannot even side with the cop because there are far too many holes. So fill me in, fellow Camaro owner...

1) Did you know your license was suspended? If so, disregard the rest of my questions...

2) How do you KNOW he didn't see you driving before you pulled into the pump further down the road?...better yet...see the vehicle in motion PERIOD! If so... there is your probable cause. You had to get there at one point...right? Can you swear in a court of law no cops saw you driving... no red light cameras observed your vehicle tag and registration? With all due respect, The answer to that is no.... unless your friend was driving this camaro?...and then he bailed on you?! Get new friends...

3) The biggest question is (and there is a lot of information lacking from the tag deal...) was it the old tag, just expired or did you knowingly put a separate tag on the vehicle? If it was the old tag just expired by a few days, I would say ok..be on your way. If not, the violation is criminal.

Lastly.... From what I gather from this story... is he already STOPPED behind your vehicle and began initiating a stop and running your plate before he ever saw you come out of the store...based on this statement.

"I am no where near the vehicle and haven't been for minutes at this point." and then "the word "profiling" even.........There are cops out here who have a hard-on for these cars (And maybe certain drivers of said cars)."

So with that statement... what does race, sex, or vehicle have to do with anything if YOU were no where near it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo40oz View Post
I must be drunk or something....this thread is incoherent.
No sir, you are completely sober...
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
FastEddie
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise View Post

Note: At NO TIME did I state that I was driving. And my license is suspended for not paying court fees from closed traffic cases. Having your tag run arbitrarily is evidently how the police "fish" for cases down here.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
lil_red_v6
one wheelin

Drives: 2004 yamaha r6
Send a message via Yahoo to lil_red_v6
Old 06-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
Note: At NO TIME did I state that I was driving. And my license is suspended for not paying court fees from closed traffic cases. Having your tag run arbitrarily is evidently how the police "fish" for cases down here.
Ok... that clears up a bit....

But can you still clarify that no cops would have seen YOUR vehicle driving at any point. PC still exists for the tags...

I expect if you fight it, you should win the case of DWLS unless Casper was never there. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say that case will be won...

Still don't get why your friend bails...

Cops can run any tag, at any time, for any reason.... federal case law. It sorda ties into the "driving isn't your legal right, only a privilege" CRRRAAAZZZINEES!
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
And why did your friend run when he saw the cops?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #14
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
And why did your friend run when he saw the cops?
He was late for a youth group meeting at the Church just around the corner where he is the group leader.. it was within walking distance.

....jerk
Closed Thread