Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-17-2009, 12:00 AM   #15
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiz198 View Post
apparently no one knows if they will fit. they would rather criticize you and argue.

....pretty much got me there, i really have no retort....

as for is they will fit....i have no idea....lol

you could try finding some manufacturer spec sheets to see if the dimensions are similar.

If i had to guess...i would say you would defiantly need an adapter bracket. I dont think they would fit stock
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:23 AM   #16
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
i have to apologize, i misread the post (was thinking z51 which has 13inch disks) and have to say its kind of a wash

specs for zo6 brakes
Front disc brakes 6 pistons antilock
Rotor diameter and thickness 14.0 X 1.26 in
Rear disc brakes 4 pistons antilock
Rotor diameter and thickness 13.4 X 1.02 in

the extra pistons on the front would be a bonus, but smaller thinner disk is a negative. i would say not worth the trouble.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #17
blackedout010

Drives: on order black 2010 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
i have to apologize, i misread the post (was thinking z51 which has 13inch disks) and have to say its kind of a wash

specs for zo6 brakes
Front disc brakes 6 pistons antilock
Rotor diameter and thickness 14.0 X 1.26 in
Rear disc brakes 4 pistons antilock
Rotor diameter and thickness 13.4 X 1.02 in

the extra pistons on the front would be a bonus, but smaller thinner disk is a negative. i would say not worth the trouble.
yea im begining to feel the same. however i still bought them at $600 with less than 700 miles on them. ima wait and see but either way at that price i know i can sell and make a decent profit if i dont use them
blackedout010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #18
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
well, it would make your camaro unique at least!

And, if you had the time, you could do the testing yourself....

Measure how far for the brembo's to stop ya, then change em, and try the Z06's
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #19
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Hell it might be worth it just for the rear brakes. This way you could fit an 18", and possibly even a 17" rear wheel on there, slap on some sticky drag radials and boogy!
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #20
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
You will void your warranty and they are probably not calibrated for your Stabilitrak.

I would caution against it now. Good experiment down the road when warranties start running out.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #21
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
How would you void your warranty putting on brakes?
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #22
Super Sport

Drives: Mazda 3 GS 2008.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
You will void your warranty and they are probably not calibrated for your Stabilitrak.
That's how.

You know you can void your warranty by putting on heavier rims? A lot of things people don't know will void it.
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #23
bballr4567

So if you turn off Stabilitrak itll void your warranty as well??

Go read the Magnusson-Moss warranty act if you think that changing your brakes will void your whole warranty.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #24
Super Sport

Drives: Mazda 3 GS 2008.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post

Go read the Magnusson-Moss warranty act if you think that changing your brakes will void your whole warranty.
You should probably read it yourself if you tthink that it won't. If a GM warranty inspector drops by and can readily proove that the brakes cause false ESC sensor readings and in turn internal components to fail, any repairs linked to this will not be covered by warranty. You guys really need to stop using Magnusson-Ross as a cure all... Cuz it aint.
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #25
bballr4567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post

I would caution against it now. Good experiment down the road when warranties start running out.
I figured he meant the whole warranty. A brake upgrade will NOT void your powertrain warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post

Important part in bold. If you upgrade from the crappy GM discs will it void your caliper warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sport View Post
You should probably read it yourself if you tthink that it won't. If a GM warranty inspector drops by and can readily proove that the brakes cause false ESC sensor readings and in turn internal components to fail, any repairs linked to this will not be covered by warranty. You guys really need to stop using Magnusson-Ross as a cure all... Cuz it aint.
Exactly. If it caused other parts of the brakes to fail, then maybe they might not warranty it. The rest of the car? No.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #26
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Changing calipers does not void any warranty, although you may have an issue with parts associated with the braking system being covered.

Some have mentioned Stabilitrak -- quit bringing this up. The brakes themselves have nothing to do with the system. The logic behind it is looking for certain criteria to be met - steering angle, speed, and feedback from the abs system - to intervene. The modulation of the brakes themselves have nothing to do with the input that *starts* the stability system kicking in. You'd be hard pressed to prove that once the system intervenes, that changing out the calipers (ie: level of grip) for a given speed and scenario would somehow cause a failure. It's not like we're going from dump-truck level drums to 16" rotors guys... a BBK is going to help those who road race rather than adding significant levels of stopping level in street trim. You have a greater change of tires affecting the stability system than the brakes LOL.

Changing to aftermarket wheels will also NOT void warranty. Again, if you put a set of monster truck wheels on a car, then start destroying ball joints -- you are most likely not going to get coverage.

Common sense goes a long way folks. A warranty inspectors job is to look for obvious signs of tampering or changes that would *directly* result in a failure outside the normal type of wear and tear scenarios. Making assumptions or outlandish claims from their standpoint doesn't usually end well (hint: lawsuits cost a hellova lot more to fight than replacing parts).

Have fun
MadMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote