Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Spied: 2014 Cadillac CTS with Twin-Turbocharged V6

2014 Cadillac CTS spied with twin-turbo V6!
Left Lane News
June 11, 2012
by Drew Johnson

It’s been a while since we’ve seen the 2014 Cadillac CTS testing in the wild, but the wait has apparently been worth it. Our spies have just sent us the latest shots of the next-generation CTS, including the car’s interior and twin-turbo powerplant.

Currently being developed under the codename A1LL, the next-generation CTS will ride on an extended version of the ATS’ Alpha platform. With the ATS set to take on the BMW 3-Series, the 2014 CTS will grow a bit larger to better compete with the BMW 5-Series.

Cadillac’s Art & Science design language will remain part of the 2014 CTS’ DNA, but the overall look will be refined. Prototypes of the CTS are still testing with heavy camouflage, but our photographers managed one lone shot showing off the car’s new front end styling.

The rear of the CTS will continue to feature Cadillac’s signature vertical taillights, but a new bumper will sport integrated exhaust outlets.

The next CTS will also, as our latest spy shots reveal, adopt an interior layout similar to that of the ATS and XTS. The overall shape of the car’s interior will be more organic and include Cadillac’s latest CUE infotainment system.

The big news, however, has to do with the 2014 CTS’ engine bay. Our photographers managed to snap a few shots with he car’s hood open, revealing a new twin-turbocharged V6.

Full article and images available at link.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Is it me, or does that car look huge from the side...of course the camoflauge adds girth to it I'm sure. Just seems like the wheels are smallish.

Anyways...doesn't matter. This is awesome. I'm betting this is pretty much the same TT V6 in the Jay Leno camaro that he finally test drove on his show "Jay Leno's Garage" a little while back. That thing was sweet.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Interesting, I wonder what other platforms will see this engine. Wasn't there some recent action with trademarking the grand national name or something?
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
KMPrenger

My guess...I'd look for it possibly in an Impala SS and also the next gen Camaro...and maybe even a truck if Chevy wants to capitalize (aka copy) Ford's successes.

I can see an ATS-V going with it as well, but I know many are hoping they can stuff a V8 in that thing.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
IBM

Drives: '11 2LT/RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Is it me, or does that car look huge from the side...of course the camoflauge adds girth to it I'm sure. Just seems like the wheels are smallish.

The interior also looks like it's all over the place to me..
Old 06-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
El-Diablo

Drives: CTS-V
Someone said it looks larger, that's correct, the new CTS will be bigger. Think 5 series BMW sized. The current CTS-V is sort of an in between car.
El-Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Vertical tail-lights on a sporty car look horrid - makes the rear look too boxy. Tail-lights need to look horizontal on a sporty car to give the impression of sleekness. Audi and Lambo do this well.

"I have a device in my pocket that can access the entirety of knowledge known to man.
I use it to look at pictures of cars and have arguments with strangers."
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
Vertical tail-lights on a sporty car look horrid - makes the rear look too boxy. Tail-lights need to look horizontal on a sporty car to give the impression of sleekness. Audi and Lambo do this well.
It's a Cadillac. Cadillac = Vertical tail lights reminiscent of fins.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Sweet news for the new CTS and TTV6 engine. Nothing beats the Caddy vertical lights.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

Anyways...doesn't matter. This is awesome. I'm betting this is pretty much the same TT V6 in the Jay Leno camaro that he finally test drove on his show "Jay Leno's Garage" a little while back. That thing was sweet.
I doubt it. First because I think the article said it was a 3.0L (not a 3.6). But beyond that, even if it were a 3.6 it would be based off of the LFX not the LLT. And even beyond that chances are the V6 in Leno's Camaro was done more or less the same way as everyone elses turbo 6: take a stock engine, add turbos & thats pretty much it.

When an OEM comes up with a forced induction engine, they'll almost certainly lower the compression ratio, use application specific cam profiles, possibly stronger internals, probably an intercooler, a higher capacity fueling (and cooling) system, and a whole host of other things that are required when a manufacturer properly engineers a forced induction engine.

So it would be 'the same' just like a supercharged LS3 is the same as an LS9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post

I wouldn't exactly call big fat, wide tail lights 'sleek' or 'sporty'. The essence of sportiness, to me, would be something conservative and minimalistic. They'd be there because they need to be there -not to make any sort of design statement. Afterall, on a sports car form is supposed to follow function. Anything extra just adds weight.

Now ... that said, its a fricken' full size Cadillac sedan. You'll be sadly disapointed if you expect it to be a sports car. And since it is a Cadillac and not a sports car, the tail lights should be a big, bold, ostentatious design statement. And since the vertical tail lights are vestiges of the tail fins from the 50's ... I'd say they accomplish that goal rather well
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
This is getting good. ATS, CTS, TT V6 Silverado, SS sedan?? I don't know what to choose for my next DD.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I doubt it. First because I think the article said it was a 3.0L (not a 3.6). But beyond that, even if it were a 3.6 it would be based off of the LFX not the LLT. And even beyond that chances are the V6 in Leno's Camaro was done more or less the same way as everyone elses turbo 6: take a stock engine, add turbos & thats pretty much it.

When an OEM comes up with a forced induction engine, they'll almost certainly lower the compression ratio, use application specific cam profiles, possibly stronger internals, probably an intercooler, a higher capacity fueling (and cooling) system, and a whole host of other things that are required when a manufacturer properly engineers a forced induction engine.

So it would be 'the same' just like a supercharged LS3 is the same as an LS9
Your 2nd comment about what a manufacturer would do when designing a forced induction engine for production...thats obvious. I would never think GM would just slap on turbos and call it a day. But you can bet they will be doing it on the LFX and not some new design.

Anyways, did you watch the Jay Leno garage video?

How do we even know that engine was the LLT engine? (maybe the video has a clue...I need to re-watch it!) When the Leno concept was introduced the LLT was being used for production but then we didn't hear SQUAT about that car for a year or longer until earlier this year when they finally let Leno test the car on his show

The car was definitely used for testing purposes, not something they just slapped together for show. Leno talked with a GM designer about the car and there were gauges and monitoring devices used as well, which leads me to believe the car had a greater purpose.

The article states "Cadillac is reportedly developing two new twin-turbocharged V6s, a 3.0L and a 3.6L, with the unit spotted in this prototype believed the be the former." I have read elsewhere that GM scrapped the turbo 3.0 engine in favor of the 3.6 but who knows whether or not that was accurate at all. Makes sense though, since GM is dropping the 3.0 from its small SUV's in favor of the 3.6 since it has more power and retains or improves on MPGs.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
Mr. Unassailable

Drives: 2010 2SS MT, 2010 SHO, 2004 S60R
Hmmm, wonder if it will be competing with the SHO for space in my driveway?

Sent from my iPhone
Old 06-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Your 2nd comment about what a manufacturer would do when designing a forced induction engine for production...thats obvious. I would never think GM would just slap on turbos and call it a day. But you can bet they will be doing it on the LFX and not some new design.

Anyways, did you watch the Jay Leno garage video?

How do we even know that engine was the LLT engine? (maybe the video has a clue...I need to re-watch it!) When the Leno concept was introduced the LLT was being used for production but then we didn't hear SQUAT about that car for a year or longer until earlier this year when they finally let Leno test the car on his show

The car was definitely used for testing purposes, not something they just slapped together for show. Leno talked with a GM designer about the car and there were gauges and monitoring devices used as well, which leads me to believe the car had a greater purpose.

The article states "Cadillac is reportedly developing two new twin-turbocharged V6s, a 3.0L and a 3.6L, with the unit spotted in this prototype believed the be the former." I have read elsewhere that GM scrapped the turbo 3.0 engine in favor of the 3.6 but who knows whether or not that was accurate at all. Makes sense though, since GM is dropping the 3.0 from its small SUV's in favor of the 3.6 since it has more power and retains or improves on MPGs.
How do we know that its the LLT, or at least 'LLT based'? Well for one thing, the 2009 press release regarding the Leno Camaro says that it uses a twin turbo version of the standard V6 from the LS and LT Camaro -which would have been the LLT.

As for GM creating that car as any sort of real prototype ... chances of that are somewhere between near 0 and 0 itself. Concept cars are scrutinized to the nth degree by engineers from other companies while they're on display. No manufacturer will ever let one of their prototypes be subjected to that, not when it would be years until it could go into production. In all likelihood it probably toured the autoshow circuit for a while, then was forgotten about by Leno and GM until recently.

Could what you are saying be true about the Leno car? Sure. It could also be true that Jay Leno himself is a replicant from another dimension where time only moves backward. We can't prove it, and there isn't much to support such a claim, but it is at least possible. Maybe. But since that scenario is somewhat unlikely its best to just focus on whats probable, rather than whats remotely possible.

Anywho ... how about that turbocharged CTS prototype?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote