Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Magna-Ride? No thanks!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nits-wear.html

check out the comments and experiences of Cadillac owners who have had Magnetic Ride Suspension systems fail in their cars.

I think on a high-end sports car like a Ferrari it makes sense because you want professional level performance without regard for cost, but on a Camaro? Give me a friggin break. A Camaro is a budget performance car - one of the best bangs for the buck. Paying premium prices to fix this kind of suspension, I would argue, isn't appropriate for a Camaro.

If it's just an option: great. Me: I'd opt out.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Once had a Caddie customer who wanted all new shocks at 50k. When he found out that his were $400 apiece, he decided to wait untill we told him they were bad. Magna-Ride is great but I wonder if the expense is justified at the price. It sort of reminds me of electronic sway bars and electric thermostats. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
The stock electric adjust shocks on my Silverado were 1600 over the counter.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nits-wear.html

check out the comments and experiences of Cadillac owners who have had Magnetic Ride Suspension systems fail in their cars.

I think on a high-end sports car like a Ferrari it makes sense because you want professional level performance without regard for cost, but on a Camaro? Give me a friggin break. A Camaro is a budget performance car - one of the best bangs for the buck. Paying premium prices to fix this kind of suspension, I would argue, isn't appropriate for a Camaro.

If it's just an option: great. Me: I'd opt out.
I didn't see all that many complaints. And from what I understand, the MSRC shocks are designed for the lifetime of the vehicle so replacement shouldn't be too much of a concern, unless you plan on driving your Z28 for a very long time. Of course, there is also the potential for incurring damage for whatever reason but odds are, you'd have more expensive problems at that point.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
CamaroMiami

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3, 92 Camaro RS
I wish it was an option instead of a standard for ordering a HP/Z28.

But if a person can afford a car with MRC, then they can afford the repair.
CamaroMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:41 AM   #6
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroMiami View Post
But if a person can afford a car with MRC, then they can afford the repair.
That's the correct answer.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:01 AM   #7
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
It's an option on the 'vette. Why would you think that it wouldn't be an option on the Camaro? If I'm not mistaken, the only 'vette that comes standard with magnetic select ride control is the ZR-1 at over $100K.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #8
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Best priced camaro corvette GTO Firebird GM Truck in Tampa Florida

www.TampaTuning.com

On my 2000 corvette I have the F-45 shocks with three modes.

Tour
Sport
Performance

Tour is a nice soft ride for cruising on the highway. Almost makes my C5 feel like a caddy.

Sport I never use because I dont feel much of a differance betweem tour and sport, or sport and performance.

Performance is a stiffer ride and better handling which I love to use when im playing on curving roads. But for me, performance would beat up my back on a 3 hour highway cruise.

The F-45 shocks are about $350 each. Ill hate to replace them, but I really do love them.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I didn't see all that many complaints. And from what I understand, the MSRC shocks are designed for the lifetime of the vehicle so replacement shouldn't be too much of a concern, unless you plan on driving your Z28 for a very long time. Of course, there is also the potential for incurring damage for whatever reason but odds are, you'd have more expensive problems at that point.
Yup. I didn't read much in the way of failures, either...and bad shocks won't necessarily dump your car on the ground either like the Lincoln they mentioned, it'll get really bouncy...but there's some exaggeration going on in there....

Components break or wear out on cars. There's no reason to expect the Magnetic Selection Ride Control system was some superman suspension getup...Every GM suspension getup undegoes abuse testing equivilant to 300,000 miles on Detroit's worst roads. It sounds like they've gone a little further to make sure this advanced system won't need replacing as soon as your typical shock absorber. After all, it's not like the auto parts store is going to have magnetorheological dampers sitting on the shelf.......

And they're expensive...I encourage people to go research how the system works and find out why...but like somebody said in that Cadillac thread, a couple thousand dollars IF they fail on you outside of warranty is peanuts compared to the repair charges on some foriegn makes (with a shorter warranty) for less vital parts.....

And think about this...if they DO fail, which is unlikely, replace them with coilovers...

One last thought...the system going into the Z28 (assuming everything we've been told so far holds true), will be a next-gen version...the earlier CTS-Vs and STSs and base-model Corvettes used the 2nd generation(?) MagneRide system. This one should be much improved.

I'm not worried...and I'm stoked the car might get such an advanced active suspention system!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #10
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
www.TampaTuning.com

On my 2000 corvette I have the F-45 shocks with three modes.

Tour
Sport
Performance

Tour is a nice soft ride for cruising on the highway. Almost makes my C5 feel like a caddy.

Sport I never use because I dont feel much of a differance betweem tour and sport, or sport and performance.

Performance is a stiffer ride and better handling which I love to use when im playing on curving roads. But for me, performance would beat up my back on a 3 hour highway cruise.

The F-45 shocks are about $350 each. Ill hate to replace them, but I really do love them.

I had it on my vette and could never tell the difference one bit. It seemed like a complete was of money. If its anything like that forget it.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
J Webb

Drives: 2010 2ss iom
Just like abs, traction control, and fuel injection, there will always be haters. Given enough time and improvements in technology I'm sure it will be far superior in the long run. As far as how well it is developed at this point is open to interpretation. I'm sure in a mass produced market it will be well worth the cost.
J Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm conflicted, because I know these shocks just work on ZR1 and CTS-V, and I think they'd be great on Z28, but I kinda' worry about the long-term, too. However - everything will wear out with time, and so long as they perform and have a reasonable life expectancy, I think I'd be happy. Besides - there are plenty of aftermarket companies out there to choose from for upgrades. I think I'd like this to be an option, so I can make a choice to go aftermarket if I want, but more importantly, if it works, I won't complain at all. I believe Dragoneye is right - we're at least on the second or third generation, and I'm sure it's only going to get better and even more reliable.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
DLB

Drives: 74 Camaro Type LT with a BB454
I think a lot of guys mis understand these...... Magna is the best FACTORY setup ever. nothing else evern comes close to how fast this suspention works and change to help keep your d*mb a** on the road. mercbenz is trying to beat it by using camaras to read the road so the suspen can know what about to happen.... go drive any car with magna susp. before you say its crap. alot of other auto companys will copy this and the would will be a safer place to drive in. btw they did design this to last the lifetime of the car. just take good care of your car and she/he will treat you right! i know i cnat sepll vrey good!
DLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
SHWA

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS L99 A6
I wish my Camaro had Magna ride on my camaro! My parents have it on their escalade and it is awesome. Actually it is the main reason that they chose an escalade over a tahoe. I kept telling them that the extra 100hp should have been the reason but for them it was the better ride quality of the magna set-up.