Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-13-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
ONSTAR: Big Brother is watching you!

Found this:

Would it surprise you to find out that the FBI might be able to monitor private conversations in your car? A recent court case revealed that the FBI used the popular OnStar system to do just that.

GM cars equipped with OnStar are supposed to be the leading edge of safety and technology. OnStar has run a recent blitz of commercials citing helpless motorists calling in with every type of emergency, from a heart attack to locking the keys inside the car. In the advertising world, OnStar reacts quickly by sending help or even unlocking the car.

Read the full story at http://www.tonyrogers.com/news/onstar.htm
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
Lovestanda
Large Member

Drives: Yugo SS
Honestly I'm really considering discontecting the system. I know I won't use it anyway and would rather not deal with this issue. I know guys who won't use Easy-pass because of the potential of being monitored by big brother. In theory you can be caught speeding by clocking the times between tolls. Paranoid thinking?? Probably, but some people are worried about it. I wish the whole ON-Star system could be deselected from the car. Too me it's a waste to have it at all.
Lovestanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:15 AM   #3
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
i was all ready to come in here and make a joke about you wearing a tinfoil hat, but that is actually pretty scary.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:19 AM   #4
avt12882

Drives: 2010 camaro ss1 inferno orange
MAYBE I CAN HAVE IT TURNED ON SO I COULD FIND OUT WERE VIN#4583 BECAUSE MY DEALER HAS NO CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
avt12882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:35 AM   #5
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
First! What's the chances of the FBI listening in on you! If they can, the only reason they would is if you set off their radar for crime, so out of the billions of people in the world... what would be the chances they would listen in on you. Now if the FBI doesn't have anything better to do than waste their time listening to me cuss at stupid drivers, then they won't learn much! Also, even if your deactivated you ONstar and you set off the FBI crime radar... they could still listen.

Another thing, which I concider nice, is if your car gets stolen, like lojack, onstar can track it and has the capability to shut the car down. Now I like this because the car won't end up as a pile of junk when those thiefs try to run from the cops... and if you think that this car won't be a target for joy riders,,, your fooling yourself.

Now with all that in mind and I know I've missed some things, the FBI did have a system called CARIVORE which monitors emails, phone conversations... etc. for certain words that will flag it for review. So if you are paranoid.... I guess you'll just have to move to the mountains and disconnect yourself from the world..... but then again... that might be a red flag also!

I wonder how many people after reading this thread will go........ hhhmmm!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:47 AM   #6
Vole182

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT KonaB,GlsRf,TP
1 of 5 calls... tonight show nsa
Vole182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:47 AM   #7
Lovestanda
Large Member

Drives: Yugo SS
I think it's not the idea that the "MAN" would listen in or intrude in your privacy. I really do believe the goverment has better things to do. I think the possibility of intrusion however small the chance will turn some people off. Most of us won't mind but some certainly will. When you think about it almost nothing we do is private anymore. Whatever the goverment dosen't know about me my wife will surely tell them. .
Lovestanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:09 AM   #8
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
I will NOT be disconnectig onstar in mine. The FBI are gonna be subjected to thumping bass from my music. I hope their freakin ears bleed. Damn you Big Brother!
Old 05-13-2009, 03:16 AM   #9
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovestanda View Post
I think it's not the idea that the "MAN" would listen in or intrude in your privacy. I really do believe the goverment has better things to do. I think the possibility of intrusion however small the chance will turn some people off. Most of us won't mind but some certainly will. When you think about it almost nothing we do is private anymore. Whatever the goverment dosen't know about me my wife will surely tell them. .

Good one!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:29 AM   #10
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovestanda View Post
Honestly I'm really considering discontecting the system. I know I won't use it anyway and would rather not deal with this issue. I know guys who won't use Easy-pass because of the potential of being monitored by big brother. In theory you can be caught speeding by clocking the times between tolls. Paranoid thinking?? Probably, but some people are worried about it. I wish the whole ON-Star system could be deselected from the car. Too me it's a waste to have it at all.
+1
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:45 AM   #11
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I remember several years ago when the military issued warnings not to discuss classified information in a car equipped with Onstar. You never know who might be listening. There was also another similar warning about cell phones equipped with bluetooth technology.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:57 AM   #12
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
I agree, I hate big brother. But they can invade your privacy without court orders through the patriot act way easier.

They can point crap at your house and listen for years. If out of the millions of people in the country you are on their radar you are screwed anyway.

Be more concerned about "The History of your driving" through the computer on board the car. If you hit someone at they believe you were driving too fast they can use it against you.

Hey maybe American Idol will be listening through Onstar for next years contestant, I can rip out a pretty good Stairway to Heaven. Do they take 39 year olds?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #13
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Like someone has already mentioned, if big brother has you on their hit list, then OnStar is the least of your worries.

If some OnStar schmuck wants to just be nosey and turn on my microphone... Well, I guess he can listen to my blaring music or rumbling exhaust too.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:30 AM   #14
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by avt12882 View Post
MAYBE I CAN HAVE IT TURNED ON SO I COULD FIND OUT WERE VIN#4583 BECAUSE MY DEALER HAS NO CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This man is using his brains

that is kind of scary, would suck for all the wrecked camaro insurance claims like when that other dude tried drifting and bent his axle.

"sir you were going 86 in a 25mph zone when you had that accident" lol
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote