Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #15
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
This is a good thread. I am hoping for a toggle switch in future Camaros and for the older vehicles, the dealer can turn it off with full waranty if asked.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbui View Post
This is a good thread. I am hoping for a toggle switch in future Camaros and for the older vehicles, the dealer can turn it off with full waranty if asked.
That would be a dream! Here's one for you...put it into Sport mode...and AFM doesn't kick in at all. EDIT: I meant this as an idea...not that it already works.

Last edited by 572HP; 07-27-2011 at 05:34 AM.
572HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #17
kbui

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
That would be a dream! Here's one for you...put it into Sport mode...and AFM doesn't kick in at all.
You meant M mode? I am already doing that with paddles (M mode) but would like to have it switch off for the S and/or D modes as well. If I was worry about MPG, I would have bought a V6. I do understand if GM have to put in AFM to keep the auto version from being a guzzler, just give us or our dealers an option to turn it off without the warranty voiding....

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
Old 07-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #18
mpyle007

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS L99
I admit, the AFM is stupid feature regardless of the reason it was put on the car. The fact that it messes with the way the car drives and sounds is the issue. In GM trucks when they kick down to 4 cylinders you dont feel any hesitation or get a funny drone. I think the one thing GM really missed on the Camaro is a great factory tune! Maybe this is something they can take back to the drawing board and attempt to perfect it? (Or just leave it out)

I dont want to void my warranty either so I will have to wait. When it is up I will be getting it tuned right away!

My luck I would get a tune and then everything in the world would start going wrong. That is why I dont drive a ford anymore.
GMPP axle back exhaust system
Custom Dyno tune by ARD (Advanced Racing Dynamics)
BMR 1.4" Springs all four corners

"There is no replacement for displacement"
mpyle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #19
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
I would vote for the option to have the dealer shut afm off for S and M modes, preferred as a courtesy but heck I'd pay a small fee to have it turned off by an authorized service representative.

I don't know how to start a poll. How about a poll? Someone want to start one?
leave it alone, authorized service rep turn off for S and M mode and not void warranty, auhorized rep turn off for S, M and D mode without voiding warranty.

Personally, I'd still want it for D mode.

Jeff, what do you think would be the best way to work with GM to address this? I assume this technology is available for other vehicles and so I don't know if the same sort of complaints are out there for them. I drive a vert and it is definately noticeable. More so with the top down.

Thanks for doing your best to answer everyones' questions.

Last edited by cam62; 07-26-2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: grammar
cam62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:56 AM   #20
godeepdown
Jeremy Frye

Drives: 2016 Hyper blue 1SS
hate it, want it gone, but want to keep my warranty.

as for it turning off in manual mode, it still kicks in on mine. sux
godeepdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #21
kbui

Quote:
Originally Posted by godeepdown View Post
hate it, want it gone, but want to keep my warranty.

as for it turning off in manual mode, it still kicks in on mine. sux
Manual mode means using the paddles. Put your shifter in M and then tap shift to 2nd and the 3rd and back to 2nd before you start driving. AFM will be OFF as long as you are in Manual mode (tapshift) the whole time. It's not the most convenience way to drive these L99s, but it is an option without a tune. If you just simply put the shifter in M and let the trans do all the shifting, it's SPORT mode as you can see it indicated in the DIC.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #22
godeepdown
Jeremy Frye

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbui View Post
Manual mode means using the paddles. Put your shifter in M and then tap shift to 2nd and the 3rd and back to 2nd before you start driving. AFM will be OFF as long as you are in Manual mode (tapshift) the whole time. It's not the most convenience way to drive these L99s, but it is an option without a tune. If you just simply put the shifter in M and let the trans do all the shifting, it's SPORT mode as you can see it indicated in the DIC.

I'll try it. I know the difference between manual and sport. I know if I just use the paddles it kicks in. Never tried the 2-3-2 thing. I did buy an auto tho and don't want to have to mess with the paddles. Hard to shift in a corner the way they are set up too. I really would love a factory tune that would turn it off.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #23
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Sure you can disable AFM while in tap shift mode, but its a pain to drive that way all the time. Also, you will probably get considerably worse MPG that way.

It really needs to come from the factory with AFM disabled in Tap or "sport" mode and leave it on in D.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #24
kbui

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
Sure you can disable AFM while in tap shift mode, but its a pain to drive that way all the time. Also, you will probably get considerably worse MPG that way.

It really needs to come from the factory with AFM disabled in Tap or "sport" mode and leave it on in D.

Ideally I think it would be great if GM can make this happen. I think it would be a difficult position for GM to sanction this if the auto was EPA certified to be off the gas guzzler list. I think if GM can give an unwritten OK for the dealers to turn AFM off and still honor the full warranty, there would be a lot of happy customers.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:24 AM   #25
godeepdown
Jeremy Frye

I really think it would be perfect if it was on normaly and disabled in sport mode. That should keep GM's butt covered. Now how do we get GM to allow this? GM reps.???
Old 07-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #26
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The problem with turning it off in the tuning is the junk AFM lifters are still there.

The real solution is an LS3 auto, just like the Corvette. Maybe someone will see the light for the Gen 6.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #27
kbui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
The problem with turning it off in the tuning is the junk AFM lifters are still there.

The real solution is an LS3 auto, just like the Corvette. Maybe someone will see the light for the Gen 6.
The lifters are the same with or without AFM turned off. Because we can use paddles to have AFM off already. If GM keeps AFM in D mode, everything is just like normal. Just allow us to have it off in S mode.

Don't think this is going to be a Gen 6's problem with a lighter body and smaller and more efficient engine = better MPG.

Hoping to hear from Jeff and the FBOBY man himself.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #28
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Thanks Jeff,
I would like to know from your technical department if there is any technical reason why I should not turn this off. I mean, is it going to break anything if this is disabled? I would also like to know if GM is not allowed to turn this off because of some political factor such as MPG ratings. We just need a little help here. These are awesome cars, but we are seeing people trade their cars and probably not buying camaros due to this one feature alone. I'd appreciate if you looked into some type of solution.
Unfortunately I don't have any information whether from my technical department or my other resources on whether or not tuning this system out would negatively affect the rest of the vehicle. I am also not sure why this feature is inculded with the vehicle. Also to answer another question that you have, AFM should deactivate if you put the vehicle into manual mode (either Sports mode or Tap-shift). Once you put the vehicle back into D mode the AFM system would then re-activate and act upon your vehicle normally. I hope that helps to answer some of your questions.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote