Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-04-2022, 04:35 PM   #15
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Well guys, after a nice educating/informative chat with Andrew yesterday, I decided what I'm going to do. Going to take the Camaro up to the shop here real soon and we are going to pull the rockers and inspect them for wear in the pushrod cups and the tip that rides on the valve top, if they look alright were going to press out the Smith Brothers bushings and inspect them for wear and replace them with the CHE trunnions this time around, and see how they run and react in the valve train.Not sure if I will notice anything or not, but just the same going to use them anyway to see how they are. If the rockers show too much wear, going to replace them with the GPI set that comes with the CHE's installed, and go from there. After we inspect the Smith Brothers bushings for wear, I will take some pics and post them up. As Andrew said about the CHE's, they just look like they would maybe last longer. We'll see. More to come. Thanks Andrew!! I appreciate you and your help. We all do!!

Last edited by 1JEWLDSSRS; 05-05-2022 at 02:28 PM.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:48 PM   #16
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
To be honest, I didn’t know the CHE were a different design
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:54 PM   #17
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
To be honest, I didn’t know the CHE were a different design
Yea,they just look like they would be nice and smooth, with better oiling and allow better recipricating function of the rocker travel. And easier to install, they just slip in and held with the spring clip, no pressing like the Smith's..

Last edited by 1JEWLDSSRS; 05-05-2022 at 02:26 PM.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:37 PM   #18
Falfan

Drives: 14 SS
Keeping my eyes peeled on this post , as this che bushings were going to be my next purchase so I could avoid needle bearings throughout me engine ...now I'm unsure how wise it is.
Falfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:01 PM   #19
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falfan View Post
Keeping my eyes peeled on this post , as this che bushings were going to be my next purchase so I could avoid needle bearings throughout me engine ...now I'm unsure how wise it is.
Keep in mind BTR uses upgraded needle bearings for their trunnion kits and shaft mount kit. Katech, LPE, LGM, GM all use needle bearings on their race engines…

Somewhere about 10 years ago an incessant paranoia sprang up about the bearings. No one ever worried about rockers back in the late 90’s/early 00’s, not even when the donkey dick cams we’re hitting the market - it just wasn’t something we worried about.
Old 05-05-2022, 06:03 AM   #20
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falfan View Post
You have nothing to worry about with any of the bushed trunnion options. This isn't a dig at Smith Bros. in any way - I'm completely satisfied with their part and how it performed. It did exactly what it was supposed to do. A bronze bushing, in any application, should be considered a wear item. For this application, replacing a roller bearing on a rocker arm that's also now seeing more lift, more rpm, and more spring pressure, it's very reasonable to expect that part to wear over time. I see no reason why it should last the life of an aftermarket dual valve spring - and probably the safest plan there is to inspect and replace as needed when doing valve spring maintenance.

Like 1JEWLDSSRS and I discussed on the phone the other day, the CHE is a full floating design, and has a different oiling strategy than the Smith Bros. Mostly, the only real benefit there is probably that it's easier to install without having to press in and out trunnions. However, there may be some benefit to the full floating design having the ability to migrate around and let high load wear surface (bottom of the bushing) see the entire bushing, rather than being fixed to the rocker. They may not do that once they have spring pressure on them anyways, so that might be moot. It'll be interesting to see how 1JEWLDSSRS's parts look with close to 30k on them. If they are are clean, then I think we can say the CHE is a decisive advantage, but I would guess they'll be showing some wear, just like the Smith Bros.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:54 AM   #21
Falfan

Quote:
Keep in mind BTR uses upgraded needle bearings for their trunnion kits and shaft mount kit. Katech, LPE, LGM, GM all use needle bearings on their race engines…

Somewhere about 10 years ago an incessant paranoia sprang up about the bearings. No one ever worried about rockers back in the late 90’s/early 00’s, not even when the donkey dick cams we’re hitting the market - it just wasn’t something we worried about.
Yeah , I know you're right , I was wrenching on 70s engines in the 90s though lop, and I remember a thread about a couple Aftermarket rockers used a different design to capture _hold in place their needle bearings, and they were said to be ok ...can't remember what brand though , maybe that's the way to go ifk, don't track my car , but "spirited" driving is normal.
Thanks for the input.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:59 AM   #22
Falfan

ACAMMER, also good point about being a wear part , guess it'not a big deal to check/replace while replacing valve springs at their recommended milage , decisions, decisions ...lol
Old 05-05-2022, 10:30 AM   #23
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Hey Andrew, sorry for the off topic question but when do you recommend changing the valve springs on a SS1 vvt cam? I currently have the pac .660 springs. Thanks

Joseph
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:55 PM   #24
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Hey Andrew, sorry for the off topic question but when do you recommend changing the valve springs on a SS1 vvt cam? I currently have the pac .660 springs. Thanks

Joseph
I would check a couple springs (at least 1 intake and 1 exhuast) at 20k miles of use, and then every 5k or so there-after. Get them in a spring pressure checker, and make sure you're getting the open and closed pressures you should be, and replace when they are no longer producing the pressure they should. You should be able to look up the open and closed pressures with the part number.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:30 PM   #25
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
You have nothing to worry about with any of the bushed trunnion options. This isn't a dig at Smith Bros. in any way - I'm completely satisfied with their part and how it performed. It did exactly what it was supposed to do. A bronze bushing, in any application, should be considered a wear item. For this application, replacing a roller bearing on a rocker arm that's also now seeing more lift, more rpm, and more spring pressure, it's very reasonable to expect that part to wear over time. I see no reason why it should last the life of an aftermarket dual valve spring - and probably the safest plan there is to inspect and replace as needed when doing valve spring maintenance.

Like 1JEWLDSSRS and I discussed on the phone the other day, the CHE is a full floating design, and has a different oiling strategy than the Smith Bros. Mostly, the only real benefit there is probably that it's easier to install without having to press in and out trunnions. However, there may be some benefit to the full floating design having the ability to migrate around and let high load wear surface (bottom of the bushing) see the entire bushing, rather than being fixed to the rocker. They may not do that once they have spring pressure on them anyways, so that might be moot. It'll be interesting to see how 1JEWLDSSRS's parts look with close to 30k on them. If they are are clean, then I think we can say the CHE is a decisive advantage, but I would guess they'll be showing some wear, just like the Smith Bros.
Hey Andrew, don't forget I have the Smith Brothers coming out, and the CHE's going in...
Old 05-05-2022, 03:14 PM   #26
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Hey Andrew, don't forget I have the Smith Brothers coming out, and the CHE's going in...
Excellent point - I think I assumed (mistakenly) that you had CHE before we ended up chatting directly. It will be a good data point with your mileage being right in between my own and demonspeeds to see how your wear looked. All have seen the same sort of spring pressure and similar life. Demonspeed's probably lived the hardest life doing road course stuff.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:34 PM   #27
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Demonspeed's probably lived the hardest life doing road course stuff.
I’d like to think [hope?] mine is an anomaly in the grand scheme of things.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:26 AM   #28
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
I’d like to think [hope?] mine is an anomaly in the grand scheme of things.
Yea - I don't think your wear is that much of an anomaly, just a magnification of what can happen if you really let these things go unchecked for probably close to double what their expected service life should be.

Your engine failure as a result, I think absolutely an anomaly. I don't think there is any really good evidence that you had any piston to valve contact outside of the hole that spate out the ringland - you have a genuine mystery that will probably go on unsolved indefinitely. I have some rear end parts that I'd like to hear the full story on, but will never hear it!

Regardless, I think we all can agree, the simple, easy, and prudent thing to do is actually just pull a couple apart whenever you do valve springs - and just like springs, if they are ready for retirement, get 'em replaced.