Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-19-2018, 08:50 AM   #1
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Texas Speed's L99 Stage 1 VVT Camshaft?

Thinking of doing a mild cam upgrade for my 2013 SS. It's a L99 with long tube headers and AFM tuned out (SCT tune). I asked a friend of mine who regularly drag races a very high HP Nova, who he would recommend to do such a job. He contacted his tuner and engine work guy, who recommended I get the TSP L99 Stage 1 VVT camshaft. He says he could do the work to include lifter swap and other basic associated upgrades, as well as a dyno tune, for $3,200.

Naturally, I have two questions for anyone who has done a similar upgrade:

1. Would the Texas Speed Stage 1 L99 VVT cam a reliable upgrade? * I just want a little more umph for occasional trips to the strip, but still want a "streetable" daily driver.

2. Does the price sound reasonable?

Any and all input/recommendations welcome and thanks very much.

Jim Palmer
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #2
JLGO

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS convertible L99
That's a decent starting price. You are going to need new trunions, valley cover, gaskets and while you are at it a oil pump. It will cost you almost 4500 to 5000 for everything.
JLGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Just keep in mind when price hunting, that the L99 will always cost more to cam than the LS3 will. Problem is, many websites, ads, and shops will advertise for the LS or non AFM/VVT engines when they show their prices.

Having to pull the heads, as well as replace lifters, lifter valley, cam phaser...etc will raise the price over a standard LS cam install.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
For a little more you can supercharge it. It drives like stock until you command more. Mine will break the tires loose at 50mph. Just an option.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
JLGO

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS convertible L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
For a little more you can supercharge it. It drives like stock until you command more. Mine will break the tires loose at 50mph. Just an option.
Boost is not good for stock pistons.
JLGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
But what about the stock top end? Would the AFM lifters be able to handle it?
havelegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
TheWood

Drives: 2013 SS
Really? Says what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGO View Post
Boost is not good for stock pistons.

2013 L99
3.91 gears, OBX LT, CAI, NO 100 shot, BMR Toe Rods, trailing arms. SOLD
TheWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #8
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
"Boost is not good for stock pistons."

I spoke to Dyno Steve just last week by PM about a SC and asked about using AFM lifters. Assuming I would keep those, we didn't even get into pistons but when I asked about using the AFM lifters with a Whipple, he said in effect, "Yes, we do it EVERY DAY." Pretty trusted name here. Just sayin...
Old 03-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Just giving Palmer a option. I used the heartbeat from magnuson...it comes with a free 3 year drivetrain warranty. I also did the research on afm liters under boost. It'll be fine,has been for a year and 12k miles. And a million smiles
Old 03-19-2018, 10:05 PM   #10
Cerberos

Drives: 1976 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Thinking of doing a mild cam upgrade for my 2013 SS. It's a L99 with long tube headers and AFM tuned out (SCT tune). I asked a friend of mine who regularly drag races a very high HP Nova, who he would recommend to do such a job. He contacted his tuner and engine work guy, who recommended I get the TSP L99 Stage 1 VVT camshaft. He says he could do the work to include lifter swap and other basic associated upgrades, as well as a dyno tune, for $3,200.

Naturally, I have two questions for anyone who has done a similar upgrade:

1. Would the Texas Speed Stage 1 L99 VVT cam a reliable upgrade? * I just want a little more umph for occasional trips to the strip, but still want a "streetable" daily driver.

2. Does the price sound reasonable?

Any and all input/recommendations welcome and thanks very much.

Jim Palmer
Great upgrade, got 440whp on e40 and 615 whp on a 150 shot, drives great with the stock converter but a aftermarket converter makes it even better.
Cerberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:15 AM   #11
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Just keep in mind when price hunting, that the L99 will always cost more to cam than the LS3 will. Problem is, many websites, ads, and shops will advertise for the LS or non AFM/VVT engines when they show their prices.

Having to pull the heads, as well as replace lifters, lifter valley, cam phaser...etc will raise the price over a standard LS cam install.
Yup, thanks for the tip. A local performance shop would be doing the work. Haven't spoken directly with them but a very good friend of mine (whom I trust completely - retired USMC MGYSGT) got the info for me. He drags a 2,000+ HP car weekly and the guy he spoke with about my car does ALL his engine work.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 03-20-2018, 04:17 AM   #12
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberos View Post
Great upgrade, got 440whp on e40 and 615 whp on a 150 shot, drives great with the stock converter but a aftermarket converter makes it even better.
He told my friend, who inquired for me, he could get me around 420 at the wheels with just the Stage 1 cam, lifters, and dynotune.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:19 AM   #13
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post

Got ya! The $3,200 price came straight from the guy who owns the shop. That's an end price and it will be in writing before any work is done. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:47 AM   #14
HorsePowerAddicts

Drives: LSx Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Got ya! The $3,200 price came straight from the guy who owns the shop. That's an end price and it will be in writing before any work is done. Thanks.
To give you a comparison wise we charge $3,300 for a complete L99 to Ls3 cam swap conversion. Including all parts, Labor and tuning.
HorsePowerAddicts is offline   Reply With Quote