Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #15
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I can tell you: no.

If you ever watch a car drive through the rain, you can see where the water releases from the tire and sprays up at an angle...debris does the same thing.

SS 1LE is pretty bad because the tires stick out past the finders just a hair. The ZL1 covers those up better. If anything, the ZL1 1LE is the worst of the bunch because the tires are the widest, poke out the most, and are the stickiest...
Makes sense lol. It’s the only thing holding me back from buying 1le wheels. My paint gets chewed up enough as it is with stock SS wheels and ZL1 addons rock guards haha.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
Apart from rock guards in the wheel wells, is there some sort of system for the front? I've seen some type of guard up front on some cars, but I think thats more for bugs, than rock chips on the hood.

I dont like the clear bra stuff.
The clear 3M stuff is a really good, cost effective solution for the rear panels. Had it on my 2014 without a problem.

ZL1 add ons and other companies sell a "mud flap" sort of piece you can install behind the front tires. That helped, too.

As far as chips on the hood? That's probably debris from other vehicles in front of you...or when you're turning very hard(?). I make it a habit not to follow very close to other vehicles. On track you can't avoid it. I could show you many many rubber chunk scuff marks all over my ZL1 thanks to Mid-Ohio.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:36 PM   #17
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
1000 miles, 3 highway trips and two rock chips already on the rear quarters. I installed ZL1 Addons rock guards with 10 miles on the odo.

Its parked until I can get Xpel installed. Stuff is like $2500 for quarters front hood edge, and front fenders.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:37 PM   #18
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Thanks guys. Yeah, I figured. Maybe if I wrapped it or applied a 100 coats of plastidip , it would help ? I'm more worried about the front. For the rear panels, rock guards usually are good enough for south FL. I cannot find a decent dealer here but at least we don't get that snow and salt like up north

My friend has about 7 coats of plastidip, and he does get rock dings on the dip but says its not damaging his paint underneath . He has been using this stuff for years, but he does redo it every year or two to get a different color. Maybe if he gets a rock in the same spot, it would damage the paint !? He's been pretty happy so far, but I may be more OCD about it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
1000 miles, 3 highway trips and two rock chips already on the rear quarters. I installed ZL1 Addons rock guards with 10 miles on the odo.

Its parked until I can get Xpel installed. Stuff is like $2500 for quarters front hood edge, and front fenders.

Wow. Maybe those rock guards are too tiny. I know the ones on my sonata are HUGE compared to the ones I see on Camaros (in pics). You think its more to do with roads and rock salt? I have never had an issue with rock guards installed here in south FL. But my rock guards are big. They protrude a fair bit out of the wheel well.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #19
Hitman84

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:

I would say look at more quotes. I was Quoted by a local spot thats certified on xpel site and another member went to at around $1400 for front bumper, full hood, partial fender, side mirrors and front of the rear wheels.
Hitman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #20
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
Thanks guys. Yeah, I figured. Maybe if I wrapped it or applied a 100 coats of plastidip , it would help ? I'm more worried about the front. For the rear panels, rock guards usually are good enough for south FL. I cannot find a decent dealer here but at least we don't get that snow and salt like up north

My friend has about 7 coats of plastidip, and he does get rock dings on the dip but says its not damaging his paint underneath . He has been using this stuff for years, but he does redo it every year or two to get a different color. Maybe if he gets a rock in the same spot, it would damage the paint !? He's been pretty happy so far, but I may be more OCD about it too.

Wow. Maybe those rock guards are too tiny. I know the ones on my sonata are HUGE compared to the ones I see on Camaros (in pics). You think its more to do with roads and rock salt? I have never had an issue with rock guards installed here in south FL. But my rock guards are big. They protrude a fair bit out of the wheel well.
They dont use rock salt too much out here. They use slurry. Regardless, I only drive mine in the nice weather months and only after all the salt is washed away. Lots of construction. = lots of big rigs and dump trucks = lots of rocks and pebbles. When I do drive mine, i try to stay 4 car lengths behind the nearest car whenever possible.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:51 PM   #21
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman84 View Post
I would say look at more quotes. I was Quoted by a local spot thats certified on xpel site and another member went to at around $1400 for front bumper, full hood, partial fender, side mirrors and front of the rear wheels.
Unfortunately, there's only one place in my area I found so far that applies Xpel. I'm still looking.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:55 PM   #22
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
Has anyone ever driven a car that didn't get rock chips? if you drive often on the highway, or spiritedly, I don't see how it's avoidable.
My 2017 Mazda mazda3 is at 13k and dont see a single chip on it. I've driven it on the highway, through construction zones, and in the DC area where they throw mass amounts of salt and sand on the roads. It's a pretty uninspired commute though. There are a lot of days I'd rather be in the Camaro.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:59 PM   #23
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
They dont use rock salt too much out here. They use slurry. Regardless, I only drive mine in the nice weather months and only after all the salt is washed away. Lots of construction. = lots of big rigs and dump trucks = lots of rocks and pebbles. When I do drive mine, i try to stay 4 car lengths behind the nearest car whenever possible.

I do the same thing. Follow distance discipline is the only way to keep your front end from getting peppered with chips. Aside from a clear bra of course.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:59 PM   #24
CruzinQueen

Drives: 2017 1LT RS Convertible V6 A8
One my previous car (13 1LS Coupe) due to some cosmetic damage I had to have both rear quarters repainted on my car (Torch Red) in the three years I had it. Within months the area behind the doors / before the wheel opening was peppered with chips just from normal wear and tear. I even had the GM molded splash guards. Aftermarket paint won't solve the issue. You should definitely consider adding clear protectant film as everyone is suggesting.

2019 GMC Terrain SLE 1.5T - Blue Steel Metallic/Black Cloth "Soccer Mom Spec"
CruzinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #25
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
On my 2016 SS I had, after 18,000 miles, the lower, passenger front got a bunch of little chips. The driver side only got a couple little ones. Other than that, I had a small one or two on the hood. That’s it. From what I could tell, the weakest bonded areas are the plastic ones.

On my SS 1LE, I put rock guards on as soon as I picked it up. So far, they seem to help. I’ll be installing clear film to the front bumper soon.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:16 PM   #26
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_J89 View Post
My 2017 Mazda mazda3 is at 13k and dont see a single chip on it. I've driven it on the highway, through construction zones, and in the DC area where they throw mass amounts of salt and sand on the roads. It's a pretty uninspired commute though. There are a lot of days I'd rather be in the Camaro.
Well I can't say the same for my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (165k on the clock). It's not that bad for its age, but there are certainly rock chips to be found all over. I drove to hell and back with that car.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #27
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
I have a 17 1LT in Red Hot. It just turned 10,000 miles and probably 90% was highway driven on good roads. I have Expel wrap on the nose, half the hood, front quarter panels, A pillars, mirror backs, and door cups. As I was washing it yesterday I noticed a chip on the roof. As I looked closer the roof had 15 small chips! I’ve never had a car that got chips on the roof! I then looked at my 2009 BMW Z4 with 72,000 miles. The Z shows wear on the paint, but not a single chip on the roof. I then checked my 2016 2SS in Hyper Blue Metalic. The SS also has 10,000 miles, probably 75% highway miles, and didn’t see a single roof chip on it! Makes me wonder if the Red Hot color is more fragile than the HBM!

Chips like that on a car with 10,000 miles of asphalt/concrete highway mileage is unbelievable! No way the paint should be that fragile! Sure glad I put the Expel on it!
What would the front end look like if I hadn’t!

Update: just took the red 1LT to the dealership and much to my surprise they offered to have to roof repainted by a local body shop! Said it’s not really a warrentee issue but they have a Customer Loyalty Program option they can use to cover things like this! Wow! Sure didn’t expect that!! The service manager said he’s not seen that issue on Camaros, but says it happens with the new Silverados! Said it’s not that the paint is thin, but that it’s hard and unforgiving! Who really knows, I’m just glad they offered to get it fixed! Maybe that’s what you get when you buy several cars from the same dealership!

Last edited by Blazin383; 04-24-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:38 AM   #28
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
You're going to get protectant to cover the paint that costs more than the cost to repaint itself?
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote