Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-21-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
SSNIGHTMARE

Drives: 2002 SS Camaro
engine listings

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...ineQRC2008.pdf
SSNIGHTMARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
camaro&T/A

Drives: '82 Z28 400SB
the Z28 should come with a carbed LS3!!! 515 HP sweet!!!
camaro&T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
I like that it tells the weight of each engine. It's nice to know that LS motors are lighter than most other engines. Lighter than smaller displacement DOHC V8s so when people say "It doesn't put out a lot of power for being such a big engine." I always said displacement doesn't equal physical size. This'll be a good reference.

And the Carbed LS3 would be a step backwards in technology. Not to mention throttle response and lowend torque.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post

And the Carbed LS3 would be a step backwards in technology. Not to mention throttle response and lowend torque.
not necessarily.

you can get more power from a carbed motor and better mileage 9 times out of 10. however, it takes a crap ton of tuning and fine tuning and finer tuning and even finer tuning to get there. and all that tuning and whatnot costs money and isnt very efficient.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
not necessarily.

you can get more power from a carbed motor and better mileage 9 times out of 10. however, it takes a crap ton of tuning and fine tuning and finer tuning and even finer tuning to get there. and all that tuning and whatnot costs money and isnt very efficient.
You can get more power and better mileage from non-emisions controled motor, but all else being equal injection beats carbs hands down.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
You can get more power and better mileage from non-emisions controled motor, but all else being equal injection beats carbs hands down.
what about a throttle plate? best of both worlds...lol
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
EFI has been proven through the years to produce a more constant (from VERY low temps and altitude to VERY high temps and altitude) and wide power band than an equivalent STREET carb setup.

The fact that the EFI injectors are now placed close to the valve also helps with fuel economy. Computers have also allowed EFI to instantly change tune for max power or max economy.

Carbs, however have shown that for max effort application, they are still effective. They make the same if not slightly more peak HP while allowing the air-fuel mixture more time to mix as it makes its way to the cylinder. Not to mention changing carbs is about ten times cheaper than changing EFI systems.

For racing, I don't think the carb will ever die, but on the street, I will take my EFI any day of the week!
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
EFI has been proven through the years to produce a more constant (from VERY low temps and altitude to VERY high temps and altitude) and wide power band than an equivalent STREET carb setup.

The fact that the EFI injectors are now placed close to the valve also helps with fuel economy. Computers have also allowed EFI to instantly change tune for max power or max economy.

Carbs, however have shown that for max effort application, they are still effective. They make the same if not slightly more peak HP while allowing the air-fuel mixture more time to mix as it makes its way to the cylinder. Not to mention changing carbs is about ten times cheaper than changing EFI systems.

For racing, I don't think the carb will ever die, but on the street, I will take my EFI any day of the week!
i like both...

94Z-LT1=EFI
86RS-LS1=Carbd

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
In my experience two engines with the same displacement, one carbed and one fuel-injected, the carbed one gets worse economy simply because it's a less precise method of injection. Fuel is wasted on the way to the combustion chamber.

And throttle response on the street is important and it's 9 times out of 10 going to be better with a fuel injected engine. And with electronic throttle, it's going to be better anyway because throttle tip-in is more progressive and measured and controlled. Just my experience owning a GTO and driving a few muscle cars.

I wouldn't want a carbed car. If I built a muscle car, I'd put an LS motor in it.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #10
Captainbob

Drives: 69 Z28, 71 vette,01 ZO6,GT500
mono blade throttle bodies

Quote:
In my experience two engines with the same displacement, one carbed and one fuel-injected, the carbed one gets worse economy simply because it's a less precise method of injection. Fuel is wasted on the way to the combustion chamber.

And throttle response on the street is important and it's 9 times out of 10 going to be better with a fuel injected engine. And with electronic throttle, it's going to be better anyway because throttle tip-in is more progressive and measured and controlled. Just my experience owning a GTO and driving a few muscle cars.

I wouldn't want a carbed car. If I built a muscle car, I'd put an LS motor in it.
+1 I'm running about 800 hp/676 rwhp wiht a S/C of course but all due to A/F calibrations and a nice monoblade throttle body I'm able to get 20mpg+ on the hiway, and run 10 sec 1/4 miles.. Thats technology
Hoping GM will do the right thing. Super charge the new SS.. So it will compete with the big dogs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnevMoEut_E vs. ZO6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2l25Q5AHc4 10.97 run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vML-dKHCcLg dyno vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLtQEdfN-CA hole shot
Captainbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:

You're telling me that throttle response is better on an injected engine? I've never seen that. I don't understand how a physical throttle linkage (pedal down, throttle open) could be slower than computer controlled (pedal down, computer signal travel, throttle open). Sure, we're talking milliseconds here, but even then I don't see EFI being faster.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #12
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
You're telling me that throttle response is better on an injected engine? I've never seen that. I don't understand how a physical throttle linkage (pedal down, throttle open) could be slower than computer controlled (pedal down, computer signal travel, throttle open). Sure, we're talking milliseconds here, but even then I don't see EFI being faster.
i think he's meaning more towards the actual injection portion of fuel with carb'd vs efi

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-24-2008, 04:04 PM   #13
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
fuel injection is simpler, no floats, no chambers, no swearing as all the little pieces fall on the floor.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #14
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
The fuel injected motor’s advantage is that it can more closely track the amount (mass) of air entering the cylinders and increase the amount of fuel right away. Carbs suck at dealing with changes in load, the accelerator pump helps get it through tip in, but it is still kind of crude.

A drive by wire system might open the throttle a couple milliseconds late, but the more precise mixture control will more than compensate. Assuming of course that the ECM has a reasonably aggressive throttle map.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote