Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 11-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #1051
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFan View Post
My dealership says it required a special windshield..

Keep us posted on your progress. Thankx.
From the pictures posted of the install on a few cars here your dealer was correct.. Windshield is a must, looks very blurry
Old 11-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #1052
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
From the pictures posted of the install on a few cars here your dealer was correct.. Windshield is a must, looks very blurry
NO. A new windshield is not required! It will look better in person then in the picture. It is the camera that is making it look so fusy. Yes, it will look even better if you replace the glass with one made for the HUD but,
IT IS NOT REQUIRED!

Last edited by Top Thrill; 11-29-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Top Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #1053
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
The camera dos not focus on the image good it looks threw the HUD image on the windshield.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #1054
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Thrill View Post
NO. A new windshield is not requered! It will look better in person then in the picture. It is the camera that is making it look so fusy. Yes, it will look even better if you replace the glass with one made for the HUD but,
IT IS NOT REQUIRED!
It may not be required but the pictures taken of the installs don't look near as good as the factory version. It would have to be a lot better in person for me to live with it. Below I've posted the pictures taken by members here of factory vs. owner install. Just me but I think a Windshield is REQUIRED to look right. JMHO..

I don't want to take away from the guys that have put in all the hard work to figure this out and provided it to the forum members but I think it is only fair to say part of the upgrade needs to include the windshield to really make it look right. Thanks for sharing your information and hard work!!

PS: From what I have read the windshield cost is not bad. Unlike the Corvette I think it is about the same as the non-HUD version

STOCK Factory Installed Pictures

INSTALLED by Owner HUD PICTURES

Last edited by Memphis SS; 11-29-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #1055
DWALEX

Drives: Currently 2016-2SS, Future ZL1/Z28
definitely I'm going to change the windshield for a real upgrade is too much work to be left unfinished, it's just my point of view
Old 11-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #1056
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWALEX View Post
definitely I'm going to change the windshield for a real upgrade is too much work to be left unfinished, it's just my point of view
Same here, but my windshield needs to be replaced anyway, so I lucked out.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #1057
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

[QUOTE=Memphis SS;2590660]It may not be required but the pictures taken of the installs don't look near as good as the factory version. It would have to be a lot better in person for me to live with it. Below I've posted the pictures taken by members here of factory vs. owner install. Just me but I think a Windshield is REQUIRED to look right. JMHO..

I don't want to take away from the guys that have put in all the hard work to figure this out and provided it to the forum members but I think it is only fair to say part of the upgrade needs to include the windshield to really make it look right. Thanks for sharing your information and hard work!!

PS: From what I have read the windshield cost is not bad. Unlike the Corvette I think it is about the same as the non-HUD version

I am only saying that a windshied is not required. If you want to replace it that is up to you. As I said it will look better with the HUD windshield. I am going to stay with the stock windshield untill there is a reason to replace it.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #1058
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Thrill View Post
I am only saying that a windshied is not required. If you want to replace it that is up to you. As I said it will look better with the HUD windshield. I am going to stay with the stock windshield untill there is a reason to replace it.
Understand your point but I think it needs to be clear (pardon the pun) that the unit does not have the factory clarity without putting in the correct windshield. I would hate to come to a forum and read the info and install the HUD only to find out the unit is ghosting and I still need to replace the windshield. I know several people may think it looks fine but I think it needs to be noted Windshield completes the install.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #1059
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Understand your point but I think it needs to be clear (pardon the pun) that the unit does not have the factory clarity without putting in the correct windshield. I would hate to come to a forum and read the info and install the HUD only to find out the unit is ghosting and I still need to replace the windshield. I know several people may think it looks fine but I think it needs to be noted Windshield completes the install.
No one is saying that to get the best look a new windshield is not needed, but its fine till you need a new windshield, I posted all the Windshield part numbers some time back, and i added the tools you need to do this on the OP, To any one that want's to see it in person there are going to be more and more ppl that have it in there car soon, Lets let all the forum members see for them self.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #1060
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
I'm guessing that the owner pics were all taken with the cameras autofocusing on the windshield, which is not the correct distance for the HUD image. Need a manual focus adjustment for a proper image.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #1061
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
No one is saying that to get the best look a new windshield is not needed, but its fine till you need a new windshield, I posted all the Windshield part numbers some time back, and i added the tools you need to do this on the OP, To any one that want's to see it in person there are going to be more and more ppl that have it in there car soon, Lets let all the forum members see for them self.
I've seen several comments stating WINDSHIELD NOT REQUIRED. After view the pictures you posted and others with Camaros and seeing several C5 Corvettes without using the proper windshield in person I posted my comments.. I think people looking at adding this option needs to know yes you can do this without adding a windshield but it will be blurry. JMHO

Again I'm not trying to take away from your hard work of putting together a install package and Thanks for posting your projects to help others who would like to add this option to their car as well
Old 11-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #1062
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
all i know is i got my hud today!!! thank you patrick! thank ofer for a new coy of the template i lost!! im trying to figure out how many hours im gonna need for this humm, any guess for an experienced installer
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #1063
WCoolBreeze
2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Garnet Tint
For Me, I am VERY SATISFIED with the results of all the work that verious people have done. Also digital cameras do not have a Manuel Mode to take pictures so the have a hard time focusing on another picture. Is it perfect No, except I can live with it and whan I do need to replace my windshiel I will replace it with a HUD windshield. I already have one chip in the present windshield and if I get another I will replace it. For Now I can live with the results I have and for those of you complaining or should I SAY WHINING. READ ONE OF MY PRIOR POSTS WHERE I SAID "IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY, DO NOT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL." Also, those of us who have done this MOD, have done what some have said COULD NOT BE DONE. ALSO THERE WAS NO SOFTWARE UPDATE NEEDED OR REQUIRED, THE CAR WAS ALREADY SET UP FOR THE HUD. PLUS THE STRUCTURE WAS ALREADY SET FOR IT. The only things that had to be added was the nuts for the screws and the screws. So five thiongs to do this, HUD Unit, Bezel, Nuts, Screws, and a Wiring Harness. That is all that was/is needed to make it work, and if you want to make it PERFECT change your Windshield, which at some point I will do, I just do not need to do it today.

Walt B.

Gen6, 2016 Camaro 2SS, Red Garnet Tint (with Silver Rally Stripes)

Ordered: 2-12-2016
TPW: 3-7-2016
Built: 3-7-2016
VIN 1G1FH78G0157626
Delivered: 4-26-2016
WCoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #1064
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCoolBreeze View Post
For Me, I am VERY SATISFIED with the results of all the work that verious people have done. Also digital cameras do not have a Manuel Mode to take pictures so the have a hard time focusing on another picture. Is it perfect No, except I can live with it and whan I do need to replace my windshiel I will replace it with a HUD windshield. I already have one chip in the present windshield and if I get another I will replace it. For Now I can live with the results I have and for those of you complaining or should I SAY WHINING. READ ONE OF MY PRIOR POSTS WHERE I SAID "IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY, DO NOT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL." Also, those of us who have done this MOD, have done what some have said COULD NOT BE DONE. ALSO THERE WAS NO SOFTWARE UPDATE NEEDED OR REQUIRED, THE CAR WAS ALREADY SET UP FOR THE HUD. PLUS THE STRUCTURE WAS ALREADY SET FOR IT. The only things that had to be added was the nuts for the screws and the screws. So five thiongs to do this, HUD Unit, Bezel, Nuts, Screws, and a Wiring Harness. That is all that was/is needed to make it work, and if you want to make it PERFECT change your Windshield, which at some point I will do, I just do not need to do it today.

Walt B.

I don't think it can be said any better.