Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
TPMS issue/error

ok i have a 2010 camaro LS on 24s. had rims on my car maybe a year now. My issue is. Lately, if not every few days. My front left TMPS sensor goes off while driving. at first im like damn got to replace a tire, got a nail or something. i checked tire pressure and its at 44psi(required pressure based on manual). took wheel off and ran water over it to see if any leaks or nails. and nothing. basically i ended up going to local gas station and putting maybe 4 seconds of air in it. and checked pressure. STILL 44psi. i get home turn the car on, came back to get groceries out. turned the car back on and no more TPMS error. In the past 2 weeks this has happend maybe 3 times. I went on a mini vacation 3 hour drive some where, hour into the drive. TPMS comes on again. By the time i reached my destination error went off.

My question is do i need to replace my front left sensor? or the tire?(i doubt its my tire due to my tire is showing proper pressure)
I am pretty sure my dealership will not assist me in anything dealing with warranty due to they wouldnt even do a simple tire rotation because of my rims! WTF lol. I definitly do not want to get stranded some where with a flat tire, or get a flat while driving which would be even worse. pay a tow truck etc etc etc

any help would be good. looking on ebay/amazon now for TPMS and tires lol

zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
zkdreads

o yea i have done the reset/relearn on my car too. Did it once. that solved the issue for maybe a week
Old 07-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Have you added air? Was that tire the first that was pumped up? Sounds like that sensor could have a problem. If you got any water in the tire from the compressor it can damage the sensor.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
zkdreads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Did it start right after you got the new rims? Or where did you add air at? Was that tire the first that was pumped up? Sounds like that sensor could have a problem. If you got any water in the tire from the compressor it can damage the sensor.
o i got the rims january of this year. so its not even a year yet. i got the air from a gas station down the street from my house. never had tire pressure error til about 2 weeks ago
Old 07-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdreads View Post
o i got the rims january of this year. so its not even a year yet. i got the air from a gas station down the street from my house. never had tire pressure error til about 2 weeks ago
Do you remember if that was the first tire you added air to? Gas station air supplies are bad for getting condensation built up. You should always blowsome air throug before adding it to your tires to make sure there is no water in the air tank or lines.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
zkdreads

that was the ONLY tire i added air too.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
that was the ONLY tire i added air too.
Before you had the problem? And was it actually low when you added the air or was the sensor already wrong?
Old 07-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
zkdreads

the sensor was saying low pressure basically(i dont know why it doesnt tell you what the pressure actually is, but i digress lol) but i have one of those tire pressure thingies from advance auto parts and it tells u the pressure, because it pushes the white thing out to the pressure its pushing out. and everytime i did that it told me 44-46. basically my tire has air
Old 07-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
the sensor was saying low pressure basically(i dont know why it doesnt tell you what the pressure actually is, but i digress lol) but i have one of those tire pressure thingies from advance auto parts and it tells u the pressure, because it pushes the white thing out to the pressure its pushing out. and everytime i did that it told me 44-46. basically my tire has air
You can check what the sensor says the pressure is on your DIC. Just press the menu button on the left stalk then use the ring till it shows the pressures. There will be a diagram of the car showing the pressures at each wheel. If they have been programed correctly they should show each position. Have you checked all 4 tires with the gauge to make sure it's the left front?
Old 07-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
zkdreads

thats the thing. when the error comes up it shows a BLANK picture of the front left wheel with no pressure on it. all the other tires show pressure. when you read the manual when this "error" comes up it just tells you to check your pressure. i get the tire pressure light(just had to bring out the manual). just went to car and cranked it up and no more tire pressure light. it shows pressure at 45psi. i think its my TPMS system. because after reading the manual. the tire pressure system blinks a certain to let you know EITHER you have low pressure OR check your TPMS system
Old 07-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
thats the thing. when the error comes up it shows a BLANK picture of the front left wheel with no pressure on it. all the other tires show pressure. when you read the manual when this "error" comes up it just tells you to check your pressure. i get the tire pressure light(just had to bring out the manual). just went to car and cranked it up and no more tire pressure light. it shows pressure at 45psi. i think its my TPMS system. because after reading the manual. the tire pressure system blinks a certain to let you know EITHER you have low pressure OR check your TPMS system
Rotate the tires and reset the positions and see if the error follows the tire. If it does it has to be the sensor...
Old 07-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
zkdreads

i just got a tire rotation about maybe month and half ago.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
i just got a tire rotation about maybe month and half ago.
That is the only way I know to check it without breaking down the tire off the rim. Just swap the two front tires and then do a relearn on them and see if the problem follows the tire.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #14
zkdreads

tru. thanks for ya help