Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-15-2011, 06:13 AM   #1
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
V6 Brake advice

Hi guys,

I have the non rs camaro with full bolt on set up (Long headers+Catback), CAI, tune, and Vmax TB soon.

My brakes are getting softer with those extra ponies .

Many guys bought those SS brembos but I dont have the 20" wheels. Mine are 19" only so I guess that I cant swap them.

Any suggestions to improve the braking power? The upgraded brake kits are really expensive. I hope to find a cheaper option if available :(.

Thanx.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Bump!
Cyber Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
Hi guys,

I have the non rs camaro with full bolt on set up (Long headers+Catback), CAI, tune, and Vmax TB soon.

My brakes are getting softer with those extra ponies .

Many guys bought those SS brembos but I dont have the 20" wheels. Mine are 19" only so I guess that I cant swap them.

Any suggestions to improve the braking power? The upgraded brake kits are really expensive. I hope to find a cheaper option if available :(.

Thanx.
You may want to get a set of performance brake pads first, it would be much cheaper than a complete swap.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
You may want to get a set of performance brake pads first, it would be much cheaper than a complete swap.
I need to know where is the main weakness of the V6 stock brake first. Is it in the pads, or rotors, or lines, or calipers ?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
I need to know where is the main weakness of the V6 stock brake first. Is it in the pads, or rotors, or lines, or calipers ?
Ok, I haven't found any weaknesses myself yet, of course my car is completely stock, I do like to drive it in the mountain roads it seems to perform great. Is your brakes soft? If so you could have Overheated them and the fluid got too hot and even crystalized the pads.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Darkone

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT/RS SIM
I've read a thread where people got the steel brake lines from Pedders (at the moment they are the only ones that fit the V6 apparently), and it seems they made a considerable difference. Maybe JusticePete could help you out?
Darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Skyman 08, once you start puting more hp you put more load on the brakes. Most of the modded members with RS package upgraded their brakes to Brembo by swapping their Kits with the stock SS.

Darkone nice to hear from you doctor !! I hope that JusticePete has a solution.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Skyman 08, once you start puting more hp you put more load on the brakes. Most of the modded members with RS package upgraded their brakes to Brembo by swapping their Kits with the stock SS.

Darkone nice to hear from you doctor !! I hope that JusticePete has a solution.
I just meant unless you are going to be driving your car on a racetrack or something you can upgrade the pads and maybe slotted and drilled rotors and probably get just as much out of them as you would spending a bunch more on Brembo upgrades. I think many just want to have the Brembo brakes because the SS has them, not because they really need them. Your brakes really don't care if you have 312HP or 400HP a stop form 70MPH is going to be the same no matter what.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Im sure you can put SS Brembos in there, just get rig of the roller skates by cutting them or replacing the pads.

I thing ive seen SS people fit 19" wheels with the Brembo brakes.

Here are some 19's with the Brembos with out the roller skates.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
christianmotox

Quote:
I just meant unless you are going to be driving your car on a racetrack or something you can upgrade the pads and maybe slotted and drilled rotors and probably get just as much out of them as you would spending a bunch more on Brembo upgrades. I think many just want to have the Brembo brakes because the SS has them, not because they really need them. Your brakes really don't care if you have 312HP or 400HP a stop form 70MPH is going to be the same no matter what.
I remember seeing reviews about the SS and the V6 and the V6 stooped shorter by about 1 or 2 feet., the advantage of the Brembos is that they don't fade as quick as the V6 brakes., but both have tremendous stopping power.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
I remember seeing reviews about the SS and the V6 and the V6 stooped shorter by about 1 or 2 feet., the advantage of the Brembos is that they don't fade as quick as the V6 brakes., but both have tremendous stopping power.
Thats what I read also, that is why I said about putting performance pads on, they don't fade as badly and with slotted and drilled rotors you would probably be even better off. remember you are paying a lot just for the name Brembo when you have them.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Im sure you can put SS Brembos in there, just get rig of the roller skates by cutting them or replacing the pads.

I thing ive seen SS people fit 19" wheels with the Brembo brakes.

Here are some 19's with the Brembos with out the roller skates.

Hi Chris,

Nice to hear from you man. It will be good to hear that those SS brembos fit on the 19" but do they really work better than the V6 stock brakes?
Old 08-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Thats what I read also, that is why I said about putting performance pads on, they don't fade as badly and with slotted and drilled rotors you would probably be even better off. remember you are paying a lot just for the name Brembo when you have them.
Thanx for the advice Skyman 08, but my complain is not on brake fading. I just need a brake with a better grip.

For god sake my Jeep wrangler brakes stop better than my Camaro brakes!!
Old 08-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #14
christianmotox

Hey men...
To be honest with you i did feel a little difference in braking power, but nothing dramatic.

If you can but the brembos go ahead and buy them, im pretty happy with them., or just buy some good pads and slotted rotors.