Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 08-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #57
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Unhappy Just off the phone.

Service manager: "water is making its way into the car without hitting the bag at all." I have no idea what this means.
So the service manager and the lead tech both with Zero Camaro Convertible Top Experience with fumble around with my car "all day" tomorrow till they figure something out. The man with decades of trim experience who installed the top (looks and fits perfect) is not getting sucked into the water management issue.

So this is the plan? :(

And why hasn't Brandon made his way back into this thread?

Last edited by tramtwo; 08-17-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Top
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #58
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Service manager: "water is making its way into the car without hitting the bag at all." I have no idea what this means.
So the service manager and the lead tech both with Zero Camaro Convertible Experience with fumble around with my car "all day" tomorrow till they figure something out.

So this is the plan? :(

And why hasn't Brandon made his way back into this thread?
I wonder why dealers won't send someone to be trained on these tops. I would rather have a GM certified trained Convertible expert work on them than Joe Blow from XXX Top Shop...Seems like it would also end up being more cost effective in the long run.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #59
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Seems like us Joe Blows are educating GM and the Chevy dealerships one dumbass at a time. If it makes sense, don't do it. Corporate America at its finest. And before I get slammed for this, I have worked in a Fortune 250 company from 89-08 and in a Fortune 10 company 08-present.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #60
tramtwo

Guys thanks... but answers... does anyone have experience that can help me get this fixed. This thread was started to share top replacement experience. We all know that GM can do a better job from the top down... but that discussion is best left for a different thread. Which I am working on.

I am grateful to all the members here who have shared their experience gained with resolving these issues.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #61
95birdible

Serious now. If it isn't the bag, have them pull the back seat and all the trim out then soak it with water. I would have someone inside to see where it enters. One of the seams in the side of the car probably wasn't sealed right at the factory and hence the leak. I have seen a few cases here and in the Facebook group for this very reason.
"Green Flash"
Old 08-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #62
tramtwo

Thanks. They say they have tried that... and the leak corresponds with the new top. I have been told that the water drains out the tubes and somehow seems to wick into the car. They say it looks like it is coming from the rear seat area behind the driver's side.

I am going to go there tomorrow... maybe a new set of eyes.

Can the seams that leak be sealed with the bag in place?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #63
95birdible

I think Brenda had it on her first car. The seams are below the bag but I think the bag may have to come out to be fixed correctly. I would see if you can get in and take a look as you are right. Another set of eyes may just be the key
"Green Flash"
Old 08-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #64
tramtwo

Good news. The service manager has discovered that the drain tub has a split. Explains how they would see water draining out the tube as designed but water wicking into the car. New bag ordered , they are also going to replace the carpet. Stay tuned for the next adventure. The new bag install.

Owning one of these verts has taken much more than just a capital investment. I think us vert owners ought to stop listing our mods in our signatures and list our repairs instead.

Last edited by tramtwo; 08-18-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #65
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
GM really should have about 3 expert Convertible Technicians trained and certified by GM to roam the country, going to dealerships where and when needed. It is not uncommon for specialty machine makers to have such technicians available for travel and they do it all the time to cover both warranty and out of warranty service. Sometimes you have to wait a week as their schedules can be booked, but it beats the present system.

I really get worried about the top failing after warranty.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #66
Fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Starting next week my car will have been in the shop 3 times and for 5 weeks to address the convertible roof.
Fnfalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #67
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Good news. The service manager has discovered that the drain tub has a split. Explains how they would see water draining out the tube as designed but water wicking into the car. New bag ordered , they are also going to replace the carpet. Stay tuned for the next adventure. The new bag install.

Owning one of these verts has taken much more than just a capital investment. I think us vert owners ought to stop listing our mods in our signatures and list our repairs instead.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #68
cactuseater

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnfalguy View Post
Starting next week my car will have been in the shop 3 times and for 5 weeks to address the convertible roof.
Lawyer up man. You're at the limit for FL lemon law.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #69
tramtwo

Day 21 on a repair of a new top install, that took three days. Waiting for new water management system install and new carpeting. Parts should be in this week.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #70
tramtwo

Day 24. Waiting on new carpet.. so I am being told. Looks like this will be the fourth weekend without the car. Remember it took three days to replace the top and now in week four of dealing with the consequences of the top replacement.

Tags
fraying, marks, replacement, top, wrinkles