Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
The Blue Angel

Drives: 2014 BRM 1SS/RS
The sound you hear the the sudden stop of the rushing air going into the engine. I freaked out the first time I heard this sound. But now I love hearing that sound when i go WOT!!
Old 09-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Ive got the CAI on mine and ive never heard a clunking noise
Me either... but I love the swoosh!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
After I put headers on any noise from the CAI, (sucking air or swoosh noises) went away. Not that I did not like the CAI noises. It's just that the headers changed everything. I never heard a thud, but I never had my CAI on without a tune.
Try going out and driving in manual mode using paddle shifters so AFM won't kick in and see if you hear the thud.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #18
bigssc
Account Suspended

Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
you guys are mistaking the swoosh or rush or air of WOT to what im talking about. im talking about at low speeds like 10 mph and then i accelerate very slowly to lets say 20mph i hear a little weird noise. but we have already established its from my new metal intake and having AFM still on.

i love the sound of the air moving harder because of the intake, but thats not the noise i am speaking of.
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #19
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigssc View Post
you guys are mistaking the swoosh or rush or air of WOT to what im talking about. im talking about at low speeds like 10 mph and then i accelerate very slowly to lets say 20mph i hear a little weird noise. but we have already established its from my new metal intake and having AFM still on.

i love the sound of the air moving harder because of the intake, but thats not the noise i am speaking of.
Go for a ride and see if it makes the thud using tap shift. AFM will not kick in when in that mode. Unless you are 100% certain that the noise you hear is AFM, which it no doubt is.
Anyways, after you get headers, exhaust and a tune, you are going to think you have a different car. Get ready to fall in love with your Camaro all over again. It will be the beast you thought you bought.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #20
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
I've never heard anything other than the roar of the engine.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #21
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
After my longtubes i went about 3 weeks without a tune, the damn AFM was unbearable, headers magnify AFM like X10. After the tune my wife is scared to ride in it now, she said that it went from fast to HOLY S@!# fast. The other day I turned onto a vacant highway and as soon as i straightened up i punched it, burnt rubber through 1st, 2nd, and part of 3rd "tapshifting"

The car goes straight up beastmode now
Old 09-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #22
MrPace

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:

Are you sure that what you're hearing isn't the AFM kicking in? It kicks in even at those low speeds...for me, (SS L99) I would hear that "weird sound" of the AFM right after it went to 3rd gear...accelerating slowly...

I am running the stock air intake, so take this for what it's worth...but the AFM kicking in could be described (incorrectly as you acknowledge) as a bit thudish.

Last edited by MrPace; 09-24-2013 at 10:53 PM.
MrPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #23
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Quote:

Interesting thread for you....
http://chevroletforum.com/forum/taho...nt-woes-57022/
3rd para...
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #24
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmass View Post
Interesting thread for you....
http://chevroletforum.com/forum/taho...nt-woes-57022/
3rd para...
yes! but since i posted this thread i have figured out what the sound is... its the damn car going from 4cyl mode to 8cyl mode.. I CANNOT WAIT TO GET THE AFM SHIT TURNED OFF FOREVER im sorry but anything that turns off half the motor CONSTANTLY cannot be good for it. i understand why they did it but its STUPID. this tune can not come soon enough.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #25
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
idk man...i dont think your AFM is active at that low of a speed. i mean it really only comes on when you're at a cruising speed right? try driving with the paddle shifters, this will keep the AFM from activating and see if that sound still happens.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #26
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Yup -- that AFM was a pain from day one..Final straw was the Cat-backs. Had it tuned it rapido. That was 3 1/2 years ago!!
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #27
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
That is a proof that your L99 is smoking Shisha

Old 10-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #28
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
idk man...i dont think your AFM is active at that low of a speed. i mean it really only comes on when you're at a cruising speed right? try driving with the paddle shifters, this will keep the AFM from activating and see if that sound still happens.
the AFM comes on at about 25-30mph. so yes it comes on at a very low speed.