Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #1
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
My girlfriend is freaking out. Is she wrong?

So, my girlfriend drives a 2006 Saturn Ion Redline. It has the same 2.0L supercharged LSJ engine as the Cobalt SS from that year.

She needed to get an alignment done, so yesterday (Sunday) she took it down to Brake Check to get it done. I guess they were pretty busy because she waited a decent amount of time, but when they pulled the vehicle in, the tech working on her car popped her hood and started taking pictures of her engine bay.

He didn't bother asking her if it was okay first. She asked the manager behind the desk to tell him if he wants to talk to her about her car, that's fine, but to please delete the photos because he did not bother to ask permission beforehand and she had no idea whether his photos were going to show her license plate or not. The tech was told, and smirked about it, but the manager brushed it off like it's not a big deal and told her that the tech claimed he was just going to send the photo to a friend.

So, she got rather upset, told them to pull her car out of the bay and she would take her car somewhere else because they obviously don't care about their customers' wishes. So they did, and she left...very pissed off.

When she got back home, she looked around on facebook, and sure enough, the tech not only kept the photos, but posted them to a local facebook group with the comment/caption, "When did Saturn ions get superchargers" (see attached screenshot below)

Fortunately the photos do not show her license plate, and do not have any part of the VIN visible or any significant identifying features visible, but we both consider this to be incredibly rude and unprofessional.

Granted, I (we) fully understand that out in public, but your VIN and your license plate are in full view of anyone who wishes to look, but in this particular case, the photos taken are in plain view of the owner without consent and were still disseminated without permission specifically after they were asked to be deleted.

For all this tech knows, my girlfriend might have a psycho ex or a crazy stalker trolling online social media to figure out where she's been and/or lives to make her life hell. And in some certain professions, any kind of personal info that gets out can have a negative impact on their job and/or business.

So, what do y'all think? Has my girlfriend overreacted or do you think she's justified in being upset about this person's behavior?

(P.S. - I added another screenshot where some prick, probably a friend of the tech, made a wise-crack about how it's just a Saturn and she should be flattered. These are the kinds of elitist "car guys" I find the most annoying in the group. Maybe it is "just" a Saturn, but it still has his friend intrigued, doesn't it?)
Attached Images

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:53 PM   #2
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I would take it up with the area/regional manager.

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #3
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
She already contacted Brake Check corporate and it sounds like the most that's going to happen is the tech is going to get talked to. Slap on the wrist.

Not surprised, really, but I just cant believe it wouldn't be common sense to go ask the owner beforehand if it would be okay to take a photo. I mean, I would be more than somewhat upset if someone did that with my Blazer too, let alone my Camaro.

Just an odd experience...

And I wonder if it kind of adds to the whole "girls don't know anything about cars" stereotype. Maybe this tech thought she wouldn't be knowledgeable about why her car is supercharged just because she's female? Who knows...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #4
Redrocker1958
Obsessive camaro disorder

Drives: **2010 2ss/rs**
To much Facebook imo
Old 03-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #5
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
Well now you've added her pic to more social media.
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #6
camaro-dreamer

Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
In my opinion, your girlfriend has overreacted. There are no identifying features on the picture you posted. If your girlfriend had concerns over someone finding out it was her car, then she would not have identified it as her car on Facebook.
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #7
huggercamaro21
Sales Manager for Chevy

Drives: Tahoe RST
Overreacting.
2016 Red Hot 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC, Nav, and Sunroof. VIN #115750
huggercamaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #8
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
IMO she is way overreacting, in fact she should be more embarrassed by the condition of her engine bay.

People need to lighten up !!! There are much more important things in life to be concerned about.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #9
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggercamaro21 View Post
Overreacting.
+100

like really.. whats the big deal if he had a picture of your license plate. anyone can do that at any time without you knowing. the car is always out in public. And who cares if he has a picture of your cars engine? people take pictures of my car all the time and i don't spaz out. i can understand why the employee smirked
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #10
Gary24

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
She already contacted Brake Check corporate and it sounds like the most that's going to happen is the tech is going to get talked to. Slap on the wrist.

Not surprised, really, but I just cant believe it wouldn't be common sense to go ask the owner beforehand if it would be okay to take a photo. I mean, I would be more than somewhat upset if someone did that with my Blazer too, let alone my Camaro.

Just an odd experience...

And I wonder if it kind of adds to the whole "girls don't know anything about cars" stereotype. Maybe this tech thought she wouldn't be knowledgeable about why her car is supercharged just because she's female? Who knows...
So you would like this "sexist" worker to be fired? That would make you happy?
Gary24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #11
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawno72 View Post
Well now you've added her pic to more social media.
That was going to be my first reply. Also, big time overaction. Who cares if someone takes pics of your motor? You hiding drugs or something under?

I've had many people take pics of cars I've owned and do own including techs. WGAF?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:09 PM   #12
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
That was going to be my first reply. Also, big time overaction. Who cares if someone takes pics of your motor? You hiding drugs or something under?

I've had many people take pics of cars I've owned and do own including techs. WGAF?
To me, and maybe I'm wrong, it seems to have been an issue with they disrespected her buy not obeying her commands. I think a lot of us have been there. I know I have. It's a pee pee contest and she lost. Time to just step back and take a deep breath and get over it. It's a pic of her engine. Had she not seen the tech take the pic would her have come crashing down? Probably not. Not much you can really do at this point but to just let it go or it will eat you up. Personally I'd be like "would you like me in the pic as well?" I really would be proud that someone even took an interest in all my hard work but then again I'm a man and think people taking pics of cars is normal, that's why they sell calendars right? Lol
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #13
clashley1976

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS M6
Overreacting. If you don't want your car photographed, keep the garage door closed.
CAI intake, VTC, VMax PTB, VMax Iceolator, Apex intake scoop, Roto-Fab washer bottle relocate
Build Journal: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419992

clashley1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #14
1Canuck

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
I don't understand. you posted a clip of facebook where it is your girlfriend in the middle of a conversation about it is then told by Jaydee it is a shit car.
I do not do facebook, is a conversation open to the public or is Jaydee a contact or whatever they are called in facebook

EDIT: yes she is over reeacting
1Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote