Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #15
DDoug

Drives: '13 Inferno Orange ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoutlawss View Post
Austin Texas man car heaven around there. If you don't like the city you could go north about 20 miles to Georgetown. Weather not to bad
Could you elaborate why? As in, great driving roads or a lot of nice cars?

I guess I should clarify, I'm looking for areas with fun, curvy roads that are pretty empty. I'm not much of a car show guy. With weather that I can reasonable enjoy year round. Isn't Austin, like 95 degrees for 4 months straight? Is it low humidity? I might plan a trip in August, see if I don't mind it.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:51 PM   #16
DDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
Texas Hill Country... Kerrville, TX area maybe. Weather is nice... you got some great driving close by, greats eats, not very pricey... medical care is probably great (San Antonio is amazing I here)... I love riding my bikes there.

Checkout the Three Sisters... aka The Texas Roller Coasters.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/55....Ac7NZIkw.dpbs
Thanks I'll look into that
Old 01-18-2018, 05:57 PM   #17
DDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F. View Post
I vote for NC. Being a New Englander, I love the four seasons and you still have them there but none too severe.

Add Virginia to the list also.
Lol, I was curious of your age, as I used to enjoy all 4 seasons, now it's pretty much fall. Cooler temps, low allergies, usually less rain.

Virginia? Radar detectors are illegal, not an option.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:05 PM   #18
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F. View Post
I vote for NC. Being a New Englander, I love the four seasons and you still have them there but none too severe. Cost of living is cheap in most areas. There are a lot of new areas being developed all over the state for retirees these days too. Google is your friend.
Add Virginia to the list also.
I would scratch Va from your list, they tax everything including your retirement checks. The cost of living in Northern Va is ridiculous and other areas can be nice areas but not offer much. The state is filling up with people who are rude and always in a hurry. The criminals are running wild in certain areas of the state and the legislators are always trying to come up with spending tax dollars to help criminals instead of victims or veterans.
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #19
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Why stop at the US. Im thinking old Mexico is the place to retire. You can live like a king down there and health care is cheap.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:36 PM   #20
DDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Why stop at the US. Im thinking old Mexico is the place to retire. You can live like a king down there and health care is cheap.
I know very little about Mexico. I don't speak Spanish, though I suppose I could learn, I still have years to work, lol. I also have excellent insurance, including into retirement, so a non issue.

I guess I'm a bit afraid of it, too, because I only know the horror the news makes it out to be. Although, I worked in Detroit for over 20 years, 12 of it in what was/is considered the worst, most dangerous area, never had an issue.

Where abouts? It's a pretty big country. Keep in mind, I'm looking for great roads. Is having high end performance cars safe in Mexico?
Old 01-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #21
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
Pittsburgh if you like the seasons or cape may NJ it’s very laid back but still cold or Panama City beach fl
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:40 PM   #22
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
I know very little about Mexico. I don't speak Spanish, though I suppose I could learn, I still have years to work, lol. I also have excellent insurance, including into retirement, so a non issue.

I guess I'm a bit afraid of it, too, because I only know the horror the news makes it out to be. Although, I worked in Detroit for over 20 years, 12 of it in what was/is considered the worst, most dangerous area, never had an issue.

Where abouts? It's a pretty big country. Keep in mind, I'm looking for great roads. Is having high end performance cars safe in Mexico?
There are places in Mexico that you would think you were here. My one friend has been trying to sell me on this idea for a few years now. He bought a place there some years ago and that's where he's retiring he claims. He is a car nut too. Frankly I dont know much about it either. He makes it sound like paradise.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #23
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
North Carolina isn't too bad. I lived in Durham for two years and the people were nice and there's a nice car scene around that entire area, really.

Over the last 4 years, I've driven 350,000 miles through all 50 states including driving up to Alaska and back from Seattle. I've seen a bunch of places I personally would love to live.

One question is how well set up are you financially? Are you a warm weather person, or do you also like to do things like Skiing. Boating? Do you like beaches and the ocean or the mountains.

Personally, I like ALL types of terrain. It's why I plan to retire north of Seattle. Summers here are amazing, and I really don't mind the rain at all. I grew up in L.A., and though I love the desert, I'd prefer living in a place with plants, rivers, lakes, green trees, and ocean and snow capped mountains...all within 2 hours of Seattle.

I also don't really ever want to live in a city again...I just prefer quiet and little to no traffic. That was why I was living on Camano Island up until recently.

I would also love to live in the mountains near Denver by a nice winding river. I even know the house I want, though I have no idea if they would ever sell. Was one of the most spectacular views I've seen.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:53 PM   #24
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Tennessee. My dad lives there (retired). Beautiful. M i ld, mostly. No property tax.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #25
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
Tennessee. My dad lives there (retired). Beautiful. M i ld, mostly. No property tax.
I've been going to Bristol for over 20 years. I could see living in Tennessee. The people have always been nice ,and the slower pace would be nice.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #26
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
F Virginia!!!!
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #27
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
South Alabama
Pretty good car scene..ALWAYS something going on.
Weather/12 months of driving days/no snow (worth mentioning anyway)
Not to far from Tail of the Dragon
Close to the beaches, Panama City, Fort Walton etc.
Hunting
Fishing
Football
More football
Great Food
NASCAR
Close to Vengeance
and if you really, really, REALLY like your cousin...we’re ok with that.

I’m am right there, man. 61 and dreaming of retirement- somewhere beside CA. PERFECT weather... But a lot of other BS, if ya know wut a mean. Colorado makes many hot spot lists for retirement too. California will be a caste society someday - elites with their peasants.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:18 AM   #28
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
I am looking at retiring in about 2.5 years myself. Probably gonna end up in Florida, north of Tampa. Nice area there and houses are relatively inexpensive. Plus there is no State income tax down there either.

Have had my fill of the cold and snow and ice up here in Pennsylvania.
not a bad choice,ocala is pretty nice.i live about 30 miles east of tampa but would like to relocate to about 20 miles west of daytona/ormond beach after retiring.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote