Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-19-2020, 01:27 AM   #15
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I've yet to ride in a 5th Gen with a 1 piece that doesn't have some vibration.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:17 AM   #16
Shtiggs

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
I've yet to ride in a 5th Gen with a 1 piece that doesn't have some vibration.
Some vibration is expected but there is a point where it becomes unacceptable. I feel like mine is at that point. Hopefully once I have enough time to spin the shaft around like DSS suggests and find a tire shop with a road force balance I can narrow down the cause and mitigate it enough to be acceptable.
Shtiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:21 AM   #17
Bo White

I run a modded stock 2 piece DS in my th400 swap. Smooth as silk. I tried the 1 piece and didn't like it.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:19 AM   #18
Shtiggs

Quote:
I run a modded stock 2 piece DS in my th400 swap. Smooth as silk. I tried the 1 piece and didn't like it.
I got a road force balance and it did not help at all. I may need to think about another option for a DS. What modification do you have on the stock 2 piece? Is it just solid couplers or is there some other modifications?
Old 11-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #19
jethrobandit

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtiggs View Post
I got a road force balance and it did not help at all. I may need to think about another option for a DS. What modification do you have on the stock 2 piece? Is it just solid couplers or is there some other modifications?
Crap, that's a lot of money to sink into a part that doesn't work like you expect. Sorry, that sucks. I have same mods in the diff as you, I just went with the 3.91 instead. This DSS shaft was next on my list, but with your experience and a couple others I'm really rethinking this. There's quite a bit of slop in the driveline that I thought this would help with, so curious what Bo comes back with too.
BTR Stage 3 :: GM 3.91 :: Eaton TrueTrac :: SW LT Headers :: Elite Catch Can :: CAI :: ADM Cold Scoop :: VMAX ported TB :: Forza 3Way :: BMR Lowering Springs/Toe Rods/Lower CA/Trailing Arms/Subframe Bushings
jethrobandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #20
Shtiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrobandit View Post
Crap, that's a lot of money to sink into a part that doesn't work like you expect. Sorry, that sucks. I have same mods in the diff as you, I just went with the 3.91 instead. This DSS shaft was next on my list, but with your experience and a couple others I'm really rethinking this. There's quite a bit of slop in the driveline that I thought this would help with, so curious what Bo comes back with too.
I agree, I have been setting up driveline and suspension in prep for adding some power. You may want to take a look at solid couplers may be the way to go if you are just looking at reduced slop in the shaft.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:48 PM   #21
jethrobandit

So I just got mine installed and it was more difficult than it should have been. Ended up having to loosen up the rear cradle to get the driveshaft in place. Needed about an 1/8” in space to get it to fit. Got it all tightened up and torqued down and the CV space is like 1/16” from 3.25”. Some angles I SWEAR it’s at 3.25, but it makes me nervous. Do you think they’ll say it’s too close?
BTR Stage 3 :: GM 3.91 :: Eaton TrueTrac :: SW LT Headers :: Elite Catch Can :: CAI :: ADM Cold Scoop :: VMAX ported TB :: Forza 3Way :: BMR Lowering Springs/Toe Rods/Lower CA/Trailing Arms/Subframe Bushings
Old 01-13-2021, 01:42 PM   #22
jethrobandit

Quote:
So I just got mine installed and it was more difficult than it should have been. Ended up having to loosen up the rear cradle to get the driveshaft in place. Needed about an 1/8” in space to get it to fit. Got it all tightened up and torqued down and the CV space is like 1/16” from 3.25”. Some angles I SWEAR it’s at 3.25, but it makes me nervous. Do you think they’ll say it’s too close?
Well, I have my answer and it's too close. But, it took A LOT of effort to finally get that answer. I should have listened to my gut and gone with the GForce version... I guess. Just extremely angry that I now have to box this thing up and send it back on MY DIME! For them to chop it up and send it back.... sometime. Extremely frustrating and most certainly won't be getting my money when I upgrade my axles this year.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:40 PM   #23
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
What mod work was done? Thanks
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:12 PM   #24
Shtiggs

Quote:
Well, I have my answer and it's too close. But, it took A LOT of effort to finally get that answer. I should have listened to my gut and gone with the GForce version... I guess. Just extremely angry that I now have to box this thing up and send it back on MY DIME! For them to chop it up and send it back.... sometime. Extremely frustrating and most certainly won't be getting my money when I upgrade my axles this year.
I felt the same way when I had to send mine back for them to chop it to the correct size. I still have not found the root of the vibrations and may take it to a local shaft shop to double check balance. Waiting for it to warm up, too cold and icy out currently.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:26 PM   #25
Shtiggs

I wish @Driveshaftshop would comment on this thread and address these issues. Vibrations and long shafts seem to be a reoccurring theme. It really sucks to foot the bill for something the shop is doing wrong.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #26
jethrobandit

Well I'll respond! I FINALLY got it back from them cutting it down to the correct size. $70 in shipping and 4 weeks later! I was finally able to install it 2 weeks ago and... ice storm. So, just now getting it out the last couple of days and around town it seems good but more NVH. Above 3500 rpm or above 75 mph, vibration starts increasing to where 4000 rpm and/or 90 mph feels like it is shaking the car apart.

Not sure I have any recourse other than take it off and chunk it at this point. Really disappointed that it was beat all to hell when I got it back too.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:29 PM   #27
Need$f/parts

Drives: 2011 Camaro II SS Supercharged
So I bought a car that has a DDS 3.5 shaft in it and it does the same thing at 75 mph all the way the 140. I won’t go any faster because it feels unsafe. I thought it could be the wheels but I balanced them. I also have a second set of wheels and tires on the way so that should completely remove the wheels from the equation if it’s still there. I really feel it in all throughout the car and not in the steering wheel or shifter (6 speed). Pisses me off that this guy sold me the car like this. Just been hunting for the culprit for the last 6 months. I’d be interested to hear what you guys find. I live in Germany so getting a new DS shipped is a pain in the ass.
Need$f/parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:39 PM   #28
Bo White

My modded stock driveshaft
Attached Images

2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X