Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
lovemycar

Drives: 2011 camaro 2lt/rs
Need a tip for removing inside hood liner

I was just curious if anyone had any tips on removing the liner on the inside of the hood without damaging the push pins? A friend of mine that works in a body shop says that about 50% of the time you will damage them while taking them out. Also if they are damaged would this be a part I would have to get at my dealer or could I get them at a auto parts store? Thanks in advance for any help
lovemycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
Black Lightning

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
There's a tool for that. Looks like a screwdriver, but the end is flat and two-pronged forked. Got mine at O'Reilly's auto parts store.

My dealer's body shop gave me a couple of extra pins. Good thing because all went well until I stepped on one of them!

Red hood spears; Corsa cat-back exhaust; Roto-fab intake; Engine bay black/red theme; Black outs including both bowties, tail lights, tail light bezels, and side lamps; gill stripes; 35% window tints; Side SS badges; Hurst-equipped badge.
Black Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Black Lightning

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Found it...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ntifier=103001

Red hood spears; Corsa cat-back exhaust; Roto-fab intake; Engine bay black/red theme; Black outs including both bowties, tail lights, tail light bezels, and side lamps; gill stripes; 35% window tints; Side SS badges; Hurst-equipped badge.
Black Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
krabtree13
krabtree13

Drives: '10 S.W. 2SS/RS w/I.O. stripe pkg
i must have been lucky ! i just put my fingers around them,and they came off with a minimum of effort.none broke,and they went right back in nice and snug ! good luck !
krabtree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
lovemycar

Drives: 2011 camaro 2lt/rs
Thanks for the help. I went to advanced auto and they didn't have the tool, I will try oreillys in a little bit. I am wanting to paint the Chevy symbol and I didn't know what kind of paint I should use, I painted my engine cover and I didn't know if I could use that paint and it look good?
lovemycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
jcollins91106

Drives: 2010 2ss m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemycar View Post
Thanks for the help. I went to advanced auto and they didn't have the tool, I will try oreillys in a little bit. I am wanting to paint the Chevy symbol and I didn't know what kind of paint I should use, I painted my engine cover and I didn't know if I could use that paint and it look good?
it depends what did you useon your engine cover
2010 2ss M6, TSP 1 7/8 Long Tube headers,dual electric cutouts, 3" pipes all the way back to magnaflows. elite engineering catch can, custom painted engine cover,CAI cold air intake, apex cold air racescoop, jannety racing 470 hp kit, custom JRE hot rough idle blower cam, jannety racing dyno tuned. pfadt lowering springs, lsr short throw shifter, custom sub setup,sony 7" indash nav, interior stiching dye, 20% tint all around, HAVOC spoiler, tail light black out, chevy emblem black out, seibon BBII carbon fiber hood,Front and rear bowtie blackouts. 461 rwhp and not done yet!
jcollins91106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
jcollins91106

Drives: 2010 2ss m6
I also have used a miniature flat prybar (home depot or lowes has them) Iseems to work well if you grind down the pry end a little
2010 2ss M6, TSP 1 7/8 Long Tube headers,dual electric cutouts, 3" pipes all the way back to magnaflows. elite engineering catch can, custom painted engine cover,CAI cold air intake, apex cold air racescoop, jannety racing 470 hp kit, custom JRE hot rough idle blower cam, jannety racing dyno tuned. pfadt lowering springs, lsr short throw shifter, custom sub setup,sony 7" indash nav, interior stiching dye, 20% tint all around, HAVOC spoiler, tail light black out, chevy emblem black out, seibon BBII carbon fiber hood,Front and rear bowtie blackouts. 461 rwhp and not done yet!
jcollins91106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
High temp paint is what you want.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Even if you ruin them, you can buy those retaining pins for like a buck for 5 of them at Advanced Auto Parts.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS 15 Camaro Z/82 AGM
The easiest way I found was to grab one side by hand and unscrew until you can pull em out.

CAP'N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
They are simple to remove by hand and pop right back in. They are pretty thick and not real flimsy. I have removed mine twice and zero issues. I also have a VERY heavy custom bowtie mounted on it.

Also. High temp paint there isn't needed. Think about it. it's held on with plastic retainers. There is plenty of thin plastic under the hood , rubber and even electrical tape. You don't see any of that melting.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:50 PM   #12
Timaaay

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS w/2ss, '85 T/A Modif
2011 2SS hood liner

So, you think people ask stupid questions? This is one of them. About 3 months ago I removed the hood liner. I got all the plastic rivets out without breaking a single one. I know an artist that airbrushed what looks like hands ripping the liner to expose the SS logo, with fire behind it. It came out great, it took him over a month to get too it, but looks sharp.
My next project after receiving it back, was to put a very modified Bowtie in, complete with 24 LED's to back-light it when the hood is opened. So I got all the LED's wired, added a door pin switch, got that mounted all good right?
Well I remember putting the plastic rivets in a bag for safe keeping. I spent two days looking for them to no avail.
Does anyone happen to know what size they are? I just spent more than 2 hours searching the net but came up empty. If someone could let me know what size and length they are, I'd surely appreciate it very much. I have a car-show Saturday and I'd really like to get this done!
Thanks!
Timaaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:41 PM   #13
SpikesRS

Drives: 2010 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaaay View Post
So, you think people ask stupid questions? This is one of them. About 3 months ago I removed the hood liner. I got all the plastic rivets out without breaking a single one. I know an artist that airbrushed what looks like hands ripping the liner to expose the SS logo, with fire behind it. It came out great, it took him over a month to get too it, but looks sharp.
My next project after receiving it back, was to put a very modified Bowtie in, complete with 24 LED's to back-light it when the hood is opened. So I got all the LED's wired, added a door pin switch, got that mounted all good right?
Well I remember putting the plastic rivets in a bag for safe keeping. I spent two days looking for them to no avail.
Does anyone happen to know what size they are? I just spent more than 2 hours searching the net but came up empty. If someone could let me know what size and length they are, I'd surely appreciate it very much. I have a car-show Saturday and I'd really like to get this done!
Thanks!
I found these
Correct 2" Size Diameter Head
5/16" Stem Diameter
Stem Length 3/4"
Fits: 1/4" Hole
https://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-...2010-2015.html

I need a new liner, had a mouse decide to make a nest out of mine last winter.
Your painted one sounds bad ass!
SpikesRS is offline   Reply With Quote