Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #29
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
This! Besides Iroc wasn't a chevy only thing. Dodge had Iroc also.
Yeah but, the Camaro is the one we all think of when we think of IROC.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #30
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Yeah but, the Camaro is the one we all think of when we think of IROC.
That's what all chevy guys say.LOL My buddy that still owns a dodge daytona Iroc could care less about the chevy version. He's a mopar guy through and through.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #31
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Quote:
That's what all chevy guys say.LOL My buddy that still owns a dodge daytona Iroc could care less about the chevy version. He's a mopar guy through and through.
That might be true, but if you were to ask a majority of men who grew up in the 80's what kind of car IROC is, they would probably say Camaro 9 out 10 times.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #32
coolman

Quote:
That might be true, but if you were to ask a majority of men who grew up in the 80's what kind of car IROC is, they would probably say Camaro 9 out 10 times.
Either way this new Hi performance camaro that is getting ready to launch deserves a much better name then being named after one of the slowest V-8 camaro's every produced. I'll admit the iroc's where great looking ,but that's about where it stopped.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #33
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

I think the last few years of the 2nd gen. cars, 75-81 where the slowest fbody Camaro's that I remember but I can see your point any how.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #34
coolman

Quote:
I think the last few years of the 2nd gen. cars, 75-81 where the slowest fbody Camaro's that I remember but I can see your point any how.
That's true. I didn't say the slowest though. Look, I loved the Iroc cars. I had two of them. One of them I ordered brand new ,but they really were not that great as far as performance cars go. I just think this new camaro deserves a much better name.
I was really hoping that they call it Z/28 at first. But the more I think about it, I think they should come up with an all new name so It has a chance to create it's own legend. The Z/28 name has been beat to death almost as bad using SS.(not quite) It too ended up on some pretty slow camaro's and sort of became a not so important name. I wish car companies wouldn't ruin these great names by putting them on cars that don't live up. It's like dodge using the Charger name on a four door family car. What a joke.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #35
KJinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
IROC might be good to some, but it's NOT a 69 retro figure, which is what we need!

If it were up to me, with all my intuition and such I would give it the identical name to the top dog Vette and call it CAMARO ZR1

It would DEFINE what it is. Don't worry about its' older lighter weight brother. He will do just fine staying faster even with the same engine. ZR1 dudes??
Why name it ZR1 when there is still the ZL1 that hasn't been claimed?
KJinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #36
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
Quote:
That's true. I didn't say the slowest though. Look, I loved the Iroc cars. I had two of them. One of them I ordered brand new ,but they really were not that great as far as performance cars go. I just think this new camaro deserves a much better name.
I was really hoping that they call it Z/28 at first. But the more I think about it, I think they should come up with an all new name so It has a chance to create it's own legend. The Z/28 name has been beat to death almost as bad using SS.(not quite) It too ended up on some pretty slow camaro's and sort of became a not so important name. I wish car companies wouldn't ruin these great names by putting them on cars that don't live up. It's like dodge using the Charger name on a four door family car. What a joke.

Z28 isn't as lame as dodge using the Charger name on a four door family car but the name did come on some fairly uninspiring Camaro packages in it's day. But ya know what? They were good for the times, even the Corvettes of the same years were slow, all to do with technology catching up with legislation.
Now that the technology has caught up, it is possible to provide us with a car with the power and handling of a superbike (almost)
I am also in favor of creating a brand new name for the fastest production Camaro ever built. The original ZL1 doesn't count because of exclusivity. So this will be the fastest to date and a car worthy of a new legendary name.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #37
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
JMO!! I don't feel that the IROC-Z was ever greater than the Z/28. I was working for GM when the IROCs came out and they did not impress me. Z were so much more superior. Remember this just my O.
chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #38
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

I would agree with you and say that the Z/28 needs to be the lower model below the Supercharged Camaro that's coming out soon. Z/28 needs to be a car that can be track raced/rally/auto cross driven that every one can reasonably afford and not lose power due to heat soak issues that you get with superchargers. Like the old 1LE cars from the past but with a bump in power (camshaft maybe or better tune) from the SS and with any weight trimming to keep price low and performance high. Sorta like a Z06 kinda Camaro mission statement. JMHO.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #39
Darth Camaro
Out of my mind!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
Well, I think they should just DO the Z28 and have it be a Pro-touring with all the power and suspension. Who cares what the price tag is. Like Nike say's "Just Do It"

Darth Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #40
Z28 Autobot

Drives: 94 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiersd View Post
My vote goes to having the ability to order Z28 drivetrain and suspension in a LS body and Heritage steel wheel package. Throw in back seat, radio and A/C delete while your at it.

Talk about a sleeper.
kinda like the Laguna Seca Boss Mustang..

http://gearpatrol.com/blog/2010/08/1...2-laguna-seca/

such a bass ass car..

The funny thing is ..CHevy picked up the IROC name to use it on the new 3rd gen Camaro's..
Z28 Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #41
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
A cool idea, but it should (theoretically) just replace the Z28 name for the time being... Tom many nameplates to eat each other's sales..

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #42
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Seems like some of the auto sites are also debating about what gm will call the next high performance camaro. http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-c...ed-camaro.html