Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
summitwhitehot

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Optical Distortion in Windshield Resolved

Hello all,

I wanted to update on a post I made several months ago concerning optical distortion in my windshield (2011 2LT).

I finally had my windshield issue resolved, unfortunately the resolution has caused the loss of clarity of my HUD display.

Last week I had 2 GM engineers come to my dealer to investigate the issue. They were definitely aware of the windshield distortion problem and had just seen the same issue in another Camaro in Michigan the day before investigating mine (I live in WV).

Nonetheless, the issue involves the HUD display and the plastic inside the windshield that creates the sharp HUD display image. Apparently GM went with the plastic half-way down the windshield instead of a full sheet of plastic. Where the glass and HUD plastic meet is where the optical distortions are occurring.

They brought a laser measured "best of the best" HUD windshield to me and the distortion was still apparent (even the engineers agreed it was still there) after dry setting the windshield and testing it in the dealer lot.

Ultimately, I ended up just going with the non-HUD windshield. This eliminates the distortion in the windshield, however it distorts my HUD display (I'll take visual clarity in the windshield over the HUD any day). I'm still awaiting word of possible compensation for this loss from the district GM manager.

The engineers took my distorted windshield back to Detroit where they claim they will look into a resolution (perhaps going full plastic instead of half-way down the windshield to eliminate the distortion in the HUD windshield). Time will tell...

Anyhow, I hope this may help someone still having a similar issue. I know of at least one other member on this forum who does.
summitwhitehot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #2
Sniperdave

Drives: 2014 magenta Anniversary RS
I have that same problem on my new RS. I don't know what to do. Took it to the dealership but they also noticed that on the other new Camaros on the lot. Also at night I see oncoming headlights as a double vision over that half lamination on the windshield. What can I do. This sucks specially at night. Windshield is a HUD windshield.
Sniperdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I drove a 2013 2SS Convertible for 1k miles as a rental, I never noticed this.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:31 AM   #4
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
not really resolved then huh?

I drove a 2008 acadia with the HUD and I have to say it really bugged me. I think I'd get used to it on a daily driver, but I prefer the windshield without the HUD either way. Hopefully some sort of compensation happens but I'm doubtful
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote