Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-01-2010, 03:45 AM   #15
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
I would touch it up and let it dry good, then buff it out. It would still look better than that.
If you buff out a big piece of touch up paint, it will just wipe it off that spot. There is nothing to hold the paint on the car. That material that the bumper is made of has to be specifically prepped in order for the paint to stick to it. A big chunk of touch paint will not hold when you start buffing it.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
left

Drives: Red Camaro
I don't believe in touch up paint either. I have a can of paint and clearcoat that I got from www.touchuppaintonline.com. When I have paint repair I need done, I just cover up the surrounding area and sand, paint, then clearcoat. Spraying is the only real way to fix anything, unless you have tiny little rock chips, then maybe touch up paint will be a good cover-up.
left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #17
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by left View Post
I don't believe in touch up paint either. I have a can of paint and clearcoat that I got from www.touchuppaintonline.com. When I have paint repair I need done, I just cover up the surrounding area and sand, paint, then clearcoat. Spraying is the only real way to fix anything, unless you have tiny little rock chips, then maybe touch up paint will be a good cover-up.
I got some of that paint from them too. Mine didn't match well but then my paint is 9 years old. I like their concept though. You guys with newer paint might benefit from them but it depends on the location you are painting.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #18
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
If you buff out a big piece of touch up paint, it will just wipe it off that spot. There is nothing to hold the paint on the car. That material that the bumper is made of has to be specifically prepped in order for the paint to stick to it. A big chunk of touch paint will not hold when you start buffing it.
The Junkman speaks the truth (as always ). My father-in-law is a retired Paint Engineer from the GM Oshawa North parts plant and we have talked about this before when I had some damage on the fascia of my Z24 Cavalier. You need to use a primer on the fascia that has a special rubberizer/flexible additive in it or the paint will just peel off. www.paintscratch.com has one in a 12.5 oz spray can (2/3 down the page under "Solvents and Other Primers"). You may be able to find something OTC but make sure it has the additive or you will be painting it again.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #19
smegmelly30

Drives: 2010 LT Camaro
So what should I do here? How do I get the paint to stick?
smegmelly30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #20
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmelly30 View Post
So what should I do here? How do I get the paint to stick?
My answer? Do it right and have it professional fixed. Everything else is going to look like Amateur Night at the Apollo.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #21
smegmelly30

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of, I don't know any if the local places are even any good. What would happen if I were to use a spray can or a bottle of touch up? Also, has anyone else had any problems or solutions for scratches under the bumper in the front? Today I was following a friend and we both didn't notice how steep an entrance was to the parking lot, and all I heard was scraping when I entered the lot. I checked and now I have scattered scratches all along the bottom.....

Even though I've had my car for a year already and managed to keep it spotless, all of a sudden in less than a week I've managed to abuse the bumper
Old 11-06-2010, 12:36 AM   #22
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

All the more reason to have it professionally fixed. Nothing is going to stick to that bumper unless it is properly prepped.

Although I don't own a Camaro, if you spray paint that bumper, I am going to personally come over there and beat you. Then I'm going to post the grid coordinance where I left your body so that other forum members can come beat you too.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #23
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
If you just spray it with normal paint without the rubberizer/flexible additive, the paint will peel off. Being in a major city, you should be able to find someone. Just hit some of the local shops and ask them how they would do it. If they say something along the lines of "prep the plastic with adhesion promoter (or something), use flexible primer, base, and clear," then they know what they are doing. Ask to see some photos of previous work and contacts of people who had it done 6 months to a year ago.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #24
smegmelly30

Alright, sorry to bring this back but I've been busy and I'm just getting back to this.
I'm thinking about applying the rubberizer/flexible additive, then painting over that. That should make the paint stick, right? If so, are there directions I could find somewhere? Stop me if this is a terrible idea..
Old 11-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #25
custompainter
Retired and diggin it!

Drives: 2011 camaro ss/rs
Stop! Its a camaro,have it fixed properly by a reputable shop.
custompainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #26
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Alright, sorry to bring this back but I've been busy and I'm just getting back to this.
I'm thinking about applying the rubberizer/flexible additive, then painting over that. That should make the paint stick, right? If so, are there directions I could find somewhere? Stop me if this is a terrible idea..

It's a bad idea, stop.....
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #27
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
No, that would make paint that is properly sprayed onto the car FLEXIBLE so that it gives with the bumper just in case it gets flexed. It's your car but any way that you decide to do it other than the correct way is going to look like crap. There are all kinds of websites out there that will explain to you how to paint your car but do you honestly think that you will be able to do it just by reading some data? What about the equipment? That stuff ain't cheap unless you buy the made in China garbage. If it were that easy, all of us would be painting cars. My father did it for 40 years and I don't know how to do it. I could have been taught by the best.

If it were my Camaro, I would have it professionally fixed. It's not a Pinto, it's part of American pride.