Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
Sorry but i had to.

I tried very hard to resist the V8 bug but after going to a local 5th gen. meet last saturday I seen some very nice and done up right SS's. The V8 bug hit me hard and i couldn't put it off any longer. No matter how much i like my V6 and try to put performance parts to make it more than it is, it is still a V6. There is way more high performance options with the V8 compared to the V6.

Went to a dealer today about an hour from my house and test drove a 1SS with the 6 speed manual and i was hooked. Signed the papers an hour after that and will drop off my 1LT tomorrow and drive home the new SS.

I'll stay in touch and hang around the LFX forum from time to time. Good luck to all of you with your V6's.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Well just go on then... and don't forget to change your member name!

Just kidding, warrior. Enjoy your new beast!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
I'll see today what's so awsome about the SS... Metting with C5 club and i'm going to ask for a test drive to feel what it's about...
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
MediumLabowski

Drives: '16 FiST
Where is this meet at Monchy?
MediumLabowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Grey Ghost

Drives: 2013 HWSE 2SS
Congrats on the new ride!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediumLabowski View Post
Where is this meet at Monchy?
NJ... They toll me there's a car show...
Here's the place: Friendly Ice Cream Corporation, 180 Ferry Road, Old Bridge Township, NJ 08857
Old 07-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Yohan

Drives: 2012 Camaro V6 1LT
Warrior06---great! Tells us more about the deal u got? Were u a bit upside down? Payments go up too much? What about insurance?

Dealer keeps calling me with some sweet 1SS and 2SS used just arrived at lot, LOL. Went by just to take a look and wow. Problem is the stinkin dealer appraised by 1LT way low at 23K (got it for 30K and put 5K down) the 1ss asking price of 29K. VOLTURES, lol. So ofcourse, they want extra down payment and add on the upside down amount as well, and end up with $700 payments:(

Test drove an SS, and man love the acceleration from dead stop. The slight lag from v6 is not there. Seems like the 420hp really matches the 3700lbs perfect and makes it run like its supposed to. Plus the cool magnetic suspension. Hard to resist.

Only problems are that the v8 run the premium gas, and the 2-3 avg mpg differece.
Yohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
Warrior06---great! Tells us more about the deal u got? Were u a bit upside down? Payments go up too much? What about insurance?

Dealer keeps calling me with some sweet 1SS and 2SS used just arrived at lot, LOL. Went by just to take a look and wow. Problem is the stinkin dealer appraised by 1LT way low at 23K (got it for 30K and put 5K down) the 1ss asking price of 29K. VOLTURES, lol. So ofcourse, they want extra down payment and add on the upside down amount as well, and end up with $700 payments:(

Test drove an SS, and man love the acceleration from dead stop. The slight lag from v6 is not there. Seems like the 420hp really matches the 3700lbs perfect and makes it run like its supposed to. Plus the cool magnetic suspension. Hard to resist.

Only problems are that the v8 run the premium gas, and the 2-3 avg mpg differece.
I can notice that you didn't mod your car yet... With the CAi, TB, mace25mm, tune and the lag is gone!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Yohan

Drives: 2012 Camaro V6 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchy36 View Post
I can notice that you didn't mod your car yet... With the CAi, TB, mace25mm, tune and the lag is gone!
Oh I got the CAI kit in there Next will probably be the ported TB and a tune. My 1LT is no slouch, but once I drove that SS felt the launch power at similar throttle input, I was sick w/ the v8 bug. I'm recovering, though.

Will wait for dyno numbers and chart before I buy the ported TB. Hopefully its worth the money. In the mean time, I just drive on Sport mode and rev it up to by-pass the slight "lag".
Yohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
Went to a dealer today about an hour from my house and test drove a 1SS with the 6 speed manual and i was hooked. Signed the papers an hour after that and will drop off my 1LT tomorrow and drive home the new SS.
Did your 1LT have mods? If so, did the dealer do you right on them?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Quote:
Oh I got the CAI kit in there Next will probably be the ported TB and a tune. My 1LT is no slouch, but once I drove that SS felt the launch power at similar throttle input, I was sick w/ the v8 bug. I'm recovering, though.

Will wait for dyno numbers and chart before I buy the ported TB. Hopefully its worth the money. In the mean time, I just drive on Sport mode and rev it up to by-pass the slight "lag".
Oh it's worth every penny!!!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #12
20121lt
REAPER1LE

Drives: 1LE 1 SS 2018
Send a message via Yahoo to 20121lt
I love my v6 and so much want to drive a 8 im afraid that all its going to do is take that one drive and see later v6 and hello new camaro its not a bad thing but ya know..
20121lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
06_warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Did your 1LT have mods? If so, did the dealer do you right on them?
When i got to the dealer and was in the test drive with the salesman i told him i was going to take off all my mods (mostly body kit and cosmetics) and bring it back to stock form, just like i bought it.

So all of my exterior mods will fit the SS. Boy! i spent most of yesterday up to 2 a.m. and most of today to about 2 pm bringing my 1LT back to stock form. I can tell you i'm beat. The only thing i couldn't take off was the window tint.

If anyone is interested i'll be selling my MRT V2 exhaust with only about 1 month of use (if that). Will probably be selling my C.A.I. intake (excellent condition) with less than 6 weeks. Probably won't work but hope it works on the SS. Also my 1LT was an automatic so i'll be selling my 4 guage pack with less than 3 months of use in excellent conditon.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
06_warrior

Quote:

Surprisingly my insurance didn't go up. Yep the down side is buying premium. But i got the car that i really want now. I should of gotten a V8 from the get go but thought that 323 hp was enough and went with the automatic because i've had plenty of manual transmissions and didn't want to be bothered changing gears. When i did my C.A.I. and MRT exhaust i was doing alot of tap shift gearing which was fun, but wasn't exactly a manual transmission. The more mods i did to my V6 the more i wished i had gotten the SS.

After getting the SS today it brought back fond memory's of my 94 Mustang GT i had with a 5 speed trans. and Mac shortie equal length headers, high flow cats and Flow Master mufflers. I didn't realize how much i missed that car. Love the sound of a V8 muscle car and a manual shift. Nothing like it imo.

I had traded a 2011 Nissan Versa hatch back that was paid off so i used it to trade to my 2012 1LT. I paid 26K for the 1LT and they gave me 23.5K for it yesterday. My payments went up but i had enough equity in my 1LT that i didn't have to put anymore money down. I'm just over $400.00 a month which isn't too bad. I can live with that. Sure i'm paying more for the SS but to me it's worth it. The SS with the 6.2-V8 and the 6-speed transmission totally completes this car. I'll keep this car for many years to come. There really isn't another car out there that i want (in the same price range as the SS) Plus the up side and can't wait is after a year or 2 i'll start to mod it with cams, exhaust and seriously contemplating getting a super charger. That will really release the beast from within