Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
goose7919

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Noob Camaro Question

I've got a question. I basically know nothing (and I mean "nothing") about cars. The new Camaro really appeals to me, however, and I had a question about it. Will the lower-end, less expensive models still have that distinct "rumble" to them? My mom had an SS Camaro back in 97' when I was a kid, and I LOVED that sound so much. I know I'll be able to afford this car, just maybe not a model that's well over 33-34k. Thanks
goose7919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Hey Goose, welcome to the site!

While I can't tell you exactly what the car will sound like, GM has told us that it's sound has been one of their main focus points.

Quote:
There was a time when performance was measured in decibels. Forty years of research and development has brought engineering improvements to all aspects of Camaro performance - not just in how it looks, but in how it drives and sounds. Today, Concept Camaro is just as outspoken as ever.
As for being able to afford this piece of beauty, forget about 33-34k for a base model. Bob Lutz has told us that the base V6 model will be above 20k, but well south of 25k. and the top V8 will be right around 30k.

If you don't know who Bob Lutz is, suffice it to say that he knows what he's talking about when it comes to the Camaro.

Enjoy the forums!
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
goose7919

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Awesome. Thanks for that bit of info, now I have something to look forward to!
goose7919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Welcome to the Site.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
First. Welcome to the site 'goose7919'.

As for the sound, 'Pencil.Fight' has taken care of that question.

The only thing I might add is, you can bet there are a number of aftermarket companies, (possibly including GM itself) already working on products which will offer numerous options for owners to "personalize" their new Camaro.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Yeah...that, or you could just drive in the powerband the whole time...

hmmm, constantly driving at 5000+ revs...how long would the engine last?
Old 09-22-2007, 02:27 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Yeah...that, or you could just drive in the powerband the whole time...

hmmm, constantly driving at 5000+ revs...how long would the engine last?
A long time!!! Scott told us a while back that they had to run the LS1 at redline for a long period of time...I WISH I could quote him right now, but I don't remember and don't want to sound like an @ss. They had to do this in testing the engine, etc. before they could put it into mass production. I just remembered that when he said that, I was in awe!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

I think I remember that...didn't they need to keep it going at 5k-6k for 48 continuous hours or something like that?
Old 09-22-2007, 10:22 PM   #9
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I think I remember that...didn't they need to keep it going at 5k-6k for 48 continuous hours or something like that?
Yeah. This has got me really curious now. I'm going to have to do some looking...or ask Scott next time I see him (should be in Dallas in a few weeks).
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

So far I've found this...but I think I'm getting close...cause I know I didn't hear it from Scott, so it's out there.

Quote:
Testing
Every GM car and truck is subjected to certain durability test schedules, and Corvettes go through all of them. Then the fun begins. Corvette has a well-earned reputation for being a car that you can drive out of the showroom and onto a racetrack with little or no modification. To protect that reputation, Corvette engineers do things to the car that would tighten the sphincter muscle of the average driver. All Corvettes, not just the Z06, undergo 250 miles of full-bore autocross testing, 24 hours of road-course testing at competition speeds, and a grueling wide-open throttle test that has the car run at its 175-mph top speed until the gas tank runs dry about 30 minutes later. No question, the Z06 comes up as a very special version of a very special car. Somewhere, Zora Arkus-Duntov is smiling.
Source
Old 09-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #11
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
Goose, I wouldn't worry. I think it's practically confirmed that the 400HP version of the Camaro will not cost "well over 33-34k". I'm pretty sure that the V8 will be under 30k, and that model will definitely sound the way you want it to.
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:01 PM   #12
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Yeah. This has got me really curious now. I'm going to have to do some looking...or ask Scott next time I see him (should be in Dallas in a few weeks).

I'm thinking of old information myself, but I think I have read that most engines are subjected to tests where they run it at redline for X amount of hours.

I think it is to help the factory to determine where they establish rev limiters, tuning, and warrantly related issues.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #13
Iroc-Z.com
for love of the camaro...

Drives: 1996 Z28
My guess is that even the less expensive v-6 will still be a formidable opponent on the streets. And if all you need is something that looks the part, go for it.
Iroc-Z.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham

Now....very poor example...but they had a supercharged V-6 Mustang, and if I remember right, it made something like 400+ hp...everybody was so proud of it, and yadda, yadda...

But V6's are by no means a bad choice. Some just have a natural preference for V-8's... Like me,