Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 09-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
deltakilo
Permagrinned

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SSRS M6
Gimme Shelter...

Hey guys, with Winter rapidly approaching I'm starting to make moves for buying my 2012. But before she gets here I want her to have a happy and loving home, and thats why I need some kind of shelter!

Shelter beyond the giant tree dying above the driveway

Few options:
-go with a single shelterlogic garage-in-a-box until something more stable is available.
-go big or go home with a double wide aluminum carport (cons: $$$, no siding)
-carcover and hope nothing terrible happens
-rough it for a while and find a suitable shelter for winter of 2012

The car will be used as a "weekend car" most likely as my Civic can provide the commute and dangers of public parking btw

tldr: Need shelter, what should I do?
deltakilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
JasonK

Drives: 2010 Camaro
When I built my first garage 20x24, I had a total of 4800.00 in it. Cheap investment if you ask me.
JasonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
deltakilo
Permagrinned

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SSRS M6
That really isn't bad at all, considering the chance of having it increases resale value a bit I'd imagine.

Does anyone else have any figures they ended up with? I'd bet I could shop around and have some DIY done
deltakilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
You can check my other thread here for pics of mine. I have about $27k in mine so far. I did all the work myself, otherwise I couldnt afford it. I know thats not small change unless you're one of the ballers on this board.
I'd think that doing most of the work yourself you could do a reasonably sized 24'x20' or something similar for well under $10k for just the shell. Dont worry about finishing it inside yet, just get the outside done for now and finish the rest out of pocket a little at a time. Thats where I'm at now. A couple hundred bucks every other month and I get a little bit closer each time. This month it was a garage door opener. Last month it was some cheap epoxy paint on the floor(just half of the garage though). I try to wait for a sale or catch a deal on something here or there and its worked out good so far.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carport, cover, shelter