Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Having trouble with Adam's Leather and Interior Cleaner

So I've used this product multiple times and have never had anything but stunning success with it, but today I was left with tons of streaks all over my dashboard that no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get the product to stop streaking. It was about 80 degrees today and the dash was probably warmer, but it didn't seem hot enough for heat to be an issue - plus the product worked just fine on my wife's all leather dash today. I'm really confused, I'm spraying the product directly onto a clean microfiber towel and wiping the surface of my dash (I have an LS so it's the standard plastic dashboard) and streak city . . . please help! What am I doing wrong?
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I'm betting its the heat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
You spray the leather and interior cleaner onto whatever your cleaning - then wipe it off.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
ChadG

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
You spray the leather and interior cleaner onto whatever your cleaning - then wipe it off.
Yeah I really don't want to do that, because the overspray will get on my glass.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Spraying it on the cloth or the surface doesn't matter. I've done both ways and you're right it keeps the spray off of the windows.

You never apply detailing products to hot surfaces. Whether it be glass, plastic, or your paint. It's more likely to be the heat than anything else.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
I agree. It's the heat. Remember leather and plastic act differently in heat which explains why it worked on the leather dash.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
ChadG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Spraying it on the cloth or the surface doesn't matter. I've done both ways and you're right it keeps the spray off of the windows.

You never apply detailing products to hot surfaces. Whether it be glass, plastic, or your paint. It's more likely to be the heat than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I agree. It's the heat. Remember leather and plastic act differently in heat which explains why it worked on the leather dash.
Yeah I will try again first thing in the morning before it heats up, but the streaks are going to be bugging the hell out of me until then!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
Yeah I really don't want to do that, because the overspray will get on my glass.
Use a sun shade - at most, you'll just have to contend with a little overspray around the edges;
the spring types work better than the flat accordion types for this.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
The guys are right... heat is likely the issue... at 80* ambient I'd be willing to be your dash is at least 5-10* above that (if not more) and causing the cleaner to dry out before it can really do what its supposed to do.

I'd say wait until later in the day, around sunset or whenver you can get the interior cooled down and try again. If its a MUST HAVE NOW type of thing try wiping the affected areas down with a water dampened towel. Should remove any streaking.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
ChadG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
The guys are right... heat is likely the issue... at 80* ambient I'd be willing to be your dash is at least 5-10* above that (if not more) and causing the cleaner to dry out before it can really do what its supposed to do.

I'd say wait until later in the day, around sunset or whenver you can get the interior cooled down and try again. If its a MUST HAVE NOW type of thing try wiping the affected areas down with a water dampened towel. Should remove any streaking.
Thanks! I'll give it another shot soon and let you know how it goes.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #11
5150 Maro

Drives: 2018 ZL1
5150 Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
You can use a piece of cardboard to block the overspray from getting on the glass. Just slide it up between the glass and the dash and spray away.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote