Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Bird poop paint damage

A large bird strafed my daily driver and scored two hits on the hood. One area came out, but the other appeared to eat into the paint pretty bad. I've worked my way through various swirl removers and up to Adams severe swirl remover polish by hand and no luck. The paint is pitted and cloudy. I don't know what he ate, but it didn't agree with my black paint.

Is there any product that can really protect the paint from acidic bird droppings? How much further can I go with paint correction?
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Rencor

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Try wet sanding. It's pretty easy. Check out this link.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html
Old 06-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rencor View Post
Try wet sanding. It's pretty easy. Check out this link.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html
Whoa whoa whoa, let's holster the bazooka until we need it.

You say you've polished by hand, have you tried by machine? Hand polishing is pretty useless to be honest

I would NOT recommend wet sanding this finish, especially if you're not experienced with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Stinkpickle

Drives: Black 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Whoa whoa whoa, let's holster the bazooka until we need it.

You say you've polished by hand, have you tried by machine? Hand polishing is pretty useless to be honest

I would NOT recommend wet sanding this finish, especially if you're not experienced with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
That!

I'd try machine, and since you just want to remove one spot rather than do the entire car, I would try to find someone in the area maybe willing to help you polish it out with the proper gear.

I would not wet sand your car if you've never done it. Wet Sanding can be explained easily, and looks easy enough - but it's just one of those things that experience > all.

Like CamaroDreams07 said, hand polishing really isn't going to remove any defects, maybe just pretty up the surrounding paint and make it less noticeable.

For protection, look into sealants and waxes - they're your normal types. There's the opti-coat route, but I'm not familiar with that.
Stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
DangerZL1

I think my next step is wet sanding, but I've never needed to go any further than a compound to remove a defect. I tried it by hand first, since I've almost always been able to remove damage. The damage could easily be through the clear. I've wet sanded a car before. The hood has been repainted, so I could take it by the painter and get his opinion. At least it didn't eat down to the primer like happened with the original paint.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
roorback

Drives: V8 permagrin
Adams fine machine polish for the win. Use it with the porter cable. Apply Adams or Zaino products to protect from future problems.
roorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
DangerZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roorback View Post
Adams fine machine polish for the win. Use it with the porter cable. Apply Adams or Zaino products to protect from future problems.
Adam's fine machine polish wouldn't touch it. I tried it first along with Meguiars 205 and 105. I haven't had the time to try anything else. I don't know if any paint protectant would have protected the finish from the excrement.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Have you tried Adams Severe Swirl and Haze Remover?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Have you tried Adams Severe Swirl and Haze Remover?
According to his first post he did...

Are you seeing any improvement with each attempt or is it remaining largely untouched?
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Do you try any other products? and do you have a machine?

I try this one product awhile back that a friend send my and it's call Mark V Splash that helps remove stubborn stains from paint. Now if the bird dropping has already etch the paint then the only way that I know of is wet sanding the surrounding areas of it to level it with the rest of the paint so you can compound, polish and seal it. Sometimes it will come out great but if it's too deep then you will only notice it less then before.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
DangerZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
According to his first post he did...

Are you seeing any improvement with each attempt or is it remaining largely untouched?
I was surprised that the Severe Swirl and Haze remover didnt work. I made multiple passes by hand and didnt see a continual improvement, so I stopped. I have a porter cable XP, but havent tried it yet. The spot it about 1 sq inch, so it is really noticeable. I've wet sanded an entire hood on a car before, but would like to avoid it if possible. I'll report back the results when I have a little more time to spend on the hood.

I still would like to know if there is a product that will protect against this type of damage?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #12
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I think waxes and sealants are pretty much it. Truth is, bird poop is terrible for cars. Its really really acidic and only takes a few minutes for it to etch.

I would try the porter cable before moving to wet sanding.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote