Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #57
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
So Stig, I've been asking on this forum for three years for opinions from people that repainted with no answers; is it better or is the problem really the shape of the car? Is yours better? Did they strip it or just sand the soft stuff and go over it? Typically a paint job is only as strong as it's weakest link.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #58
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
^^I'm interested in this too.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #59
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Opti-Coat is an after market ceramic clear coat very similar to what is applied at the factory. It chemically bonds with the factory paint and essentially becomes the car's new outer clear coat.

Because it's forms a permanent layer over the existing finish, it's important to do any paint correction prior to it's application. I just had it applied to my car by a professional detailer last week. It cost me $500 ($200 for the paint correction + $300 for the Opti-Coat). You can apply it yourself. Cost is around $70 for a 20 mL syringe.

I chose to have a professional detailer apply it because I wanted to make sure the paint was properly corrected before application. The guy told me he spent almost 7 hrs polishing my car before he applied the Opti-Coat. And this is on a car with less than a 1000 miles that I only hand wash using a foam gun and two bucket method. I suspect most of the paint problems were caused by the dealer prep.

Anyway, here are a couple photos of my car after the Opti-Coat application
What he said. OC is also stronger than our factory clear.
Beads water like a high end wax and makes washing easier.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #60
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyBake View Post
What type of clearcoat paint won't scratch from butcher paper?
From my understanding, water and non-water based (slightly older style) would have scratched from that paper.

Would a good coat of wax stop paper from scratching it?
I'm sorry but I have to comment on this.

It's bullshit that the contact the paper made should result in the scratches that were removed. It's also nonsense that you move right on to assuming the car wasn't waxed.

I speak from many years of experience and from the fact that I saw the scratches and you didn't; also I saw what caused the scratches and how hard the contact wasn't made. You didn't see that either.

It's damn near insulting to read your flat assumptions. You seem to think I'm a kid that has just got his first cool car but doesn't understand anything about it. I'm 41 and I've put more hours of bodywork into cars than you've had meals this year. I tend to feel that I can be expected to have a valid opinion on a scratch in my paint, particularly when I don't recall you being at the scene of the damage or the repair.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #61
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
So Stig, I've been asking on this forum for three years for opinions from people that repainted with no answers; is it better or is the problem really the shape of the car? Is yours better? Did they strip it or just sand the soft stuff and go over it? Typically a paint job is only as strong as it's weakest link.
They sanded the whole car, shot three coats of the base color (phantom black metallic) wet sanding in between, and then five coats of clear again set sanding between.

My paint is gorgeous, and you literally can't even tell she's been repainted.

Start to finish it took about 4 months.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #62
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I'm sorry but I have to comment on this.

It's bullshit that the contact the paper made should result in the scratches that were removed. It's also nonsense that you move right on to assuming the car wasn't waxed.

I speak from many years of experience and from the fact that I saw the scratches and you didn't; also I saw what caused the scratches and how hard the contact wasn't made. You didn't see that either.

It's damn near insulting to read your flat assumptions. You seem to think I'm a kid that has just got his first cool car but doesn't understand anything about it. I'm 41 and I've put more hours of bodywork into cars than you've had meals this year. I tend to feel that I can be expected to have a valid opinion on a scratch in my paint, particularly when I don't recall you being at the scene of the damage or the repair.
Wow dude I didn't get that from his post at all. maybe a pill might help.

he said he agreed that the paper would scratch it.
and then ASKED if a coat of high end wax would have helped..
he didn't attack you like you just did him..
beer man.. drink some.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #63
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
They sanded the whole car, shot three coats of the base color (phantom black metallic) wet sanding in between, and then five coats of clear again set sanding between.

My paint is gorgeous, and you literally can't even tell she's been repainted.

Start to finish it took about 4 months.
So how has it been from a chipping standpoint since the repairs?
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #64
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
So how has it been from a chipping standpoint since the repairs?
Haven't noticed any.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #65
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Gotta buy the right color. Number one reason I picked orange.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:39 AM   #66
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Here in Abut two and a half weeks I'm going to be moving from Cali to Mryland....I am terrified as to what the front of my car is going to look like. I plan ocovering the entire fron end in blue painters tape for the trip. Hopefully it'll help.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #67
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
^^^^^ That tape will look really cool. ^^^^^
Old 05-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #68
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
Wow dude I didn't get that from his post at all. maybe a pill might help.

he said he agreed that the paper would scratch it.
and then ASKED if a coat of high end wax would have helped..
he didn't attack you like you just did him..
beer man.. drink some.
Well dude maybe I have better reading comprehension than you dude. When somebody says ANY clear coat would be scracthed by that, it means two things: 1) after all I just said, I don't know what I'm talking about, and 2) the person knows what the scratches were like. Wrong on both counts. But he tells me anyway.

He did ask if a good wax would help. You don't understand that this suggests no wax or a bad wax was used. That is an assumption that I'm some new-to-cars-guy that needs tutoring on whyc ars have paint damage. Do I need to draw a picture for you? Do you like it when people assume you're an idiot?

And whether or not I "attacked" him or responded to something he said is not the point here- I wasn't talking to you. He decided to make those suggestions. maybe he needs to re-think how he expresses himself.
And maybe you need to have a glass of chillout instead of trying to save the world, one internet at a time. Dude.

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 05-25-2013 at 06:33 AM.
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #69
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
I love seeing anyone trying to defend or rationalize the paint lol. It's crap. The black for example is the same used on about 1/3 of the black cars produced in North America. Car is made at one place so it's the application. They build a great car but whoever was responsible for the paint setup should be rethinking their line of work.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #70
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

I'm glad some folks have no problems with their paint. But I ain't one of them. I've owned the same classic car since 1989, and even when I drove it in the new england winter, I never had to spend so many hours buffing out scratches- in 24 years of ownership I've had to buff out probably four scratches on that car. I did that with my Camaro before the first summer with it was done. Ugh