Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
Camaro_crazy

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Camaro_crazy
Lightbulb Accessories and Options (striping / navi / hardtop / DCT)

I'm new to the forum, although I have been on this site daily for almost a year now. I really love all the information and media I have seen, but there are some things that still have not been cleared up, and I'm extremely anxious to find out about those aspects.

First off, I haven't heard anything about any type of navigation system or touch screen deck in any of the Camaro's, and I would love to see a nice touch screen navi in my Camaro. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Another thing I feel strongly about are the stripes they are planning to put on the cars. I honestly think the stripes that were on the concepts were amazing, but lately we have only seen pictures of a single solid stripe down the middle, which I don't think looks nearly as good. And I would love to see those stripes straddled by the concept headlights as well.

One other thing I think could have achieved more greatness for the beast would have been a hard top convertible. We are yet to see any Vert pics with the top up, but the rumor has it as being a cloth top. I personally cant stand cloth tops, and I would have been willing to wait longer and pay significantly more for a hard top.

My one last concern is going to be the transmissions. I am very pro-manual and cannot even try to constitute running those 400+ horses with an automatic transmission. The only way I could justify that is if paddle shifter were included. I never even used to like paddle shifter until I got myself behind the wheel of a new corvette, and I think that even I might want those paddle shifter over the good old manual I am so loyal to. I would also like to see some audio controls mounted right next to the bad boys if they were included.

I would appreciate it if anyone has any info or opinions they would like to bestow upon me.
Camaro_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
A few things...

GM is heading towards no nav screens and substituting Onstar turn by turn navigation. My suggestion - go buy an aftermarket nav system. My Garmin Nuvi cost just over $200, versus $1000+ for a factory system. I can move it between cars with just a flip of a lever. You can't do that with a factory system. Factory systems won't even let your passenger adjust them if you're moving, but my Garmin will. My Garmin also tracks my top speed, average speed, time spent moving, time spent stopped, etc. Factory nav systems are probably the worst option you can get on a car.

I'm pretty sure they're just experimenting with stripes for now. Obviously we know how well the first set of twin stripes that you liked worked out, so now it is time to see if other combinations work well too.

Hardtop convertibles are waaaay too top heavy. This is supposed to be an affordable performance car, not an expensive car that leans hard in the turns.

Be aware that the paddle shifters on the Corvette (I'm 99.9999999999% sure they'll be offered on the Camaro, as even the Malibu has them) only give input into the computer for a normal automatic transmission. In manual mode, it actually shifts slower than it does in normal automatic mode.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
Camaro_crazy

Thumbs up

Well I appreciate the response.

I do realize that the portable navi's are much more efficient in that aspect, but I also love the screen because of dvd playback and a touchscreen display. I have one in my car now and I absolutely love it. It works perfectly, but it doesnt have the same features by any means. The reason I would like a navi touchscreen in the camaro is because I couldnt bring myself to put an aftermarket deck in mine because I feel it would ruin the fantastic interior. But I will be able to settle without if they decide not to have it as an option.

Good point on the hard top. I honestly just cannot stand cloth top. I feel it ruins to look of a lot of cars and in time, most of them become damaged and they are extremely difficult to refurbish. But im sure plenty will still pick up the vert. I will just stick with my SS coupe.

And finally, I understand that the shifting with paddle shifters isn't the fastest option, and that's a big reason why I like manuals so much. The driver controls the shifting speed for the most part then. I actually have experienced the corvettes shifters and they work quite well and it seems to shift extremely quick, but definately not as quick as a manual could.

Thanks though for your input, and I appreciate these good points you have made.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:25 AM   #4
stovt001

I love you sig. Oddly enough I captioned a picture of me driving a Vette at the Rev It Up this past summer with that same line.

I can see the cons you pointed out to the portable nav system. It happens to work well for me, because either my fiancee or I use it maybe 1 in 10 driving trips, so it just stays home whenever we don't need it, and doesn't clutter up the dash. If one of us does need it we can just transfer it from one car to another, so we don't need to buy two. It also has a touchscreen, and is very easy to use, in my opinion. Normally I'd much rather have an integrated system. I also have an aftermarket XM system in my car and it does bug me how tacked on it looks. I just figure for me, the pros far outweigh the cons for an aftermarket nav system.

I also get your points about the soft-top, and those are some of the reasons I don't want a convertible either. As much as open air driving would be nice, especially in Southern California, a coupe is just the better option for my intended use (which includes racing).

The GM automatic does have pretty quick sift times in manual mode for a traditional automatic. I know a lot of manual guys here just swear by the connection a true manual gives you to the car, and you can't really argue with that. There is the possibility of a dual clutch tranny in the future, and I'm keeping my hopes up for that. If that is offered when I buy my Camaro, I'd go for the DCT, but otherwise I think it will be a manual for me.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
Camaro_crazy

Talking

Yes Yes. In all honesty, I don't use my navi a whole lot, but I just like the dvd option with it as well. I probably wouldnt buy anything like a garmen or Tom tom, even though I know they work fantastically. Plus I would only be using it in one car, so It makes a lot of sense for you to have one and for me to not have one.

About the vert, I too would love to drive around SoCal with the top down but I could never buy a cloth top. And another good point is the racing and weight aspect, in which my coupe will do just fine

I have also heard about the dual clutch tranny, and I would have to give it a thought if it were available for the camaro. But it's going to take a lot to get my mind off the manual.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
JustinZS

Drives: waitin on 2010 !!
Personally I prefer using aftermarket nav units. You can choose the one you like and used to. What if you buy the factory nav option and you don't like it then you're stuck with having paid for the option. Also with nav unit you can move it from car to car.

I think a hardtop convertible would be trick but again this is a performance car so probably won't see it. Anyways it makes the car heavier (at the top which is the worst place to have weight) and would make the car cost more too.

DCT I hear is coming for the C7 Corvette but probably won't filter down to the camaro for a few years from now is my guess.
JustinZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
stovt001

I think we're looking at a 2011 debut for the C7 Vette, so maybe 2012 for it to get the DCT? I'd love that since I'm looking to get a 2012 model myself.