Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-09-2010, 03:11 AM   #57
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
L99 Cold Start Ticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
Darin you have an L99 I got a question quite a few folks with L99's including myself ( New car with 280miles on her ) has a ticking sound at start up !!!!!!! you pop the hood and it comes from both sides of the engine from the Valve cover area. Everyone says its the AFM lifters.

Is this Normal? and Does your car do this or did it do this at one time?

Is there a way to get rid of this? It's not loud just noticable......maybe im just being anal since this is a NEW car and from past cars a tick is something you dont want.

Thanks David
Mine has 350 miles on it. I get a tic,tic, tic, tic .. About 3-5 of them during a cold start.. I just noticed it today. I never noticed it before. Other People say it's the lifters, but it sounds like a bearing to me.
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #58
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
I'm not Darin, but my guess it is the injectors. They do make a little clicking noise when cold, sometimes.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #59
Sean@Phastek

Drives: 2010 Camaro X5 Turbo
Do you have any flow numbers for the ported heads? I didn't see any CFM numbers.... can't wait to see what kind of results you are getting on the L99 heads!!
Sean@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #60
Wvallediego

Drives: Inferno Orange 2010 RS SS
Wvallediego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #61
Kwik

Drives: car
Hey Darin:

Looking at the side shot of the New Era, it looks like there is a gap. Seems like you would get much better flow if it was sealed. Thanks for your input. Some great information. Bob

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen
Kwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #62
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Very nice write up! I was very impressed with that port job. You're not an engine builder, you sir are an artist. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #63
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@Phastek View Post
Do you have any flow numbers for the ported heads? I didn't see any CFM numbers.... can't wait to see what kind of results you are getting on the L99 heads!!
Post #46 and 47

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/
prostock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #64
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Upwards of 450, nice

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #65
Darin Morgan
Reher Morrison Racing

Drives: Inferno Orange SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik View Post
Hey Darin:

Looking at the side shot of the New Era, it looks like there is a gap. Seems like you would get much better flow if it was sealed. Thanks for your input. Some great information. Bob

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen
Yes, there is a gap. It helps the air velocity stabilize before it affects the MAF like when fans come on or pulses of air enter the front of the car. It's not a defect, it's a feature. LOL I have wanted to play with that area but I don't want to overlap R&D that the guys at New Era have already done. They have explained to me that when the area is blocked off, air pressure fluctuates at the front of the car making the engine RPM surge up and down especially when the throttle blades are closed on deceleration.

I love this intake and have talked to the guys at New Era extensively about its design. It's a the only CAI on the market I can find that simply wakes an engine UP when you tune it. Most people want to simply install parts and see an increase in power. Hell, I even want more power for nothing and my chicks for free! Life isn't always so easy. The New Era intake is one of those situations that when installed on the car it shows excellent power but when tuned by a pro, the monster shows its teeth. Its short length, unrestricted flow and true cold air front inlet will let your monster eat more air and make more power. Hell, this sounds like an advertisement.
2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM, 475rwhp 415ft/lbs Cam-232°/245° .612 .612 113LSA. Precision 3500 stall, New Era CAI. Reher Morrison Heads, Manifold and TB. Ferrea H-stems, dual springs, Ti-retainers. American Racing long tubes-Xpipe, High flow CATs, "S"type Borla's. 160F Thermo.
VVT ACTIVE! Thanks to New Era Performance!

Darin Morgan
-Induction R&D-EFI calibration
Reher-Morrison Racing Engines
http://www.rehermorrison.com/rmSale3.htm
Phone 817-467-7171
cell 682-559-0321

Last edited by Darin Morgan; 03-18-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Darin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #66
Darin Morgan
Reher Morrison Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
I'm not Darin, but my guess it is the injectors. They do make a little clicking noise when cold, sometimes.
I failed to mention that. Thank you for bringing that up! I would say that half of the noise is the injectors we hear clicking away under the hood.
2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM, 475rwhp 415ft/lbs Cam-232°/245° .612 .612 113LSA. Precision 3500 stall, New Era CAI. Reher Morrison Heads, Manifold and TB. Ferrea H-stems, dual springs, Ti-retainers. American Racing long tubes-Xpipe, High flow CATs, "S"type Borla's. 160F Thermo.

Darin Morgan
Phone 817-467-7171
cell 682-559-0321

Old 03-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #67
Darin Morgan
Reher Morrison Racing

On the front page of Camaro5 today I find they have linked to my little journal along with a bio along with some nice words about my career. However, I have to set the record straight on one small misstatement that is often made. Although I do build engines on rare occasions, I am not the primary engine builder for any engine built by Reher-Morrison or anywhere else I have worked. That honor belongs to my brother, Brad Morgan, who is often overlooked. Brad is a true genius who prefers to work quietly in the background. He is one of the best (if not the best) engine builder in the business. He has been the head engine builder for Reher-Morrison for close to two decades now. His accomplishments are HUGE to say the least: He's a member of the Pro-Stock 200 mpg club and 6 second club. He built the engine for the first single engine car to run 400 mph at Bonneville, has built Pro-Stock engines for half the Pro-Stock field and holds more records than you can fit in a filing cabinet! He has accomplished this and more but has never received the press I have during the past 25 years.

He is the engine builder for all those IHRA and NHRA Pro-Stock, Alanabi Racing Pro Mods and Comp cars. Even though I do not work for Reher-Morrison anymore, I still design, port and fabricate the heads and intake manifolds for a lot of the engines he builds.

I just wanted to give credit where credit is due.

Darin Morgan
Phone 817-467-7171
cell 682-559-0321

Old 03-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #68
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Amazing thread, and probably wouldn't have seen it if not for the front page preview today. I am envious of the knowledge you posess to do this to your own car. I am limited to the, pay cash, hope, and watch position....and that's when I can save up spare cash. My taste is far deeper than my pockets unfortunately.

This thread and your technical display of knowledge and passion adds that much more humor to the doubters and shit talkers I watched say you don't know what you're talking about in the "Proper Engine Break In" thread. You exercised very observable restraint.

Keep up the good work and keep the lessons to the eager learners (myself) coming. I'll take everything I can get.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #69
godfathercrc

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS
good read nice job i love orange to
godfathercrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:31 AM   #70
Darin Morgan
Reher Morrison Racing

Teaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
Amazing thread, and probably wouldn't have seen it if not for the front page preview today. I am envious of the knowledge you posess to do this to your own car. I am limited to the, pay cash, hope, and watch position....and that's when I can save up spare cash. My taste is far deeper than my pockets unfortunately.

This thread and your technical display of knowledge and passion adds that much more humor to the doubters and shit talkers I watched say you don't know what you're talking about in the "Proper Engine Break In" thread. You exercised very observable restraint.

Keep up the good work and keep the lessons to the eager learners (myself) coming. I'll take everything I can get.
Actually, I didn't observe the restraint and ability to keep my cool. Instead of educating people I ended up isolating some of them. I got frustrated and I really shouldn't have. I dont often work for the general public. I am used to working with professional racers and engine builders so what I was saying is common knowledge and not a controversial topic. Some people learned something new, others kept there heads in the sand.

I love to teach people about what I do. I have a school that teaches people about induction system design and tuning. I teach many of these schools all lover the states, give seminars and classes at many colleges and do guest lectures for sports clubs and other organizations. If you wish to know when my next classes are just go to my web site.

http://www.darinmorgan.com/

Darin Morgan
Phone 817-467-7171
cell 682-559-0321