Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
No_Traction_B

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS D1SC
MOTOR BUILD FOR BOOST HELP

OK guys its that time. Not sure how much longer my stock ls3 will hold out. Im at 700rwhp now with a d1sc at 9.5lb of boost. Id like to use my stock crank and keep the same bore and maybe lower the compression a tad. I dont want a stroker. This motor is for stricktly street application. I want forged rods and pistons obviously, i already have a comp cam. Id like to run more boost. Aiming right at 1000rwhp. Whats some ideas and options of good products on the market?
No_Traction_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Traction_B View Post
OK guys its that time. Not sure how much longer my stock ls3 will hold out. Im at 700rwhp now with a d1sc at 9.5lb of boost. Id like to use my stock crank and keep the same bore and maybe lower the compression a tad. I dont want a stroker. This motor is for stricktly street application. I want forged rods and pistons obviously, i already have a comp cam. Id like to run more boost. Aiming right at 1000rwhp. Whats some ideas and options of good products on the market?
So you want 1000 rwhp for the street and without stroking the engine.:troll:
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
Quote:

First thing is you are going to need a bigger blower than a D1 to reach a 1000rwhp. As far as your engine build, give us a call, I will go over some thing with you that is a must when building your LS Engine for boost. I will have pics up this week of a members engine we are building for 1000hp.

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
You say strictly street 1000HP and don't want to change your crank!?!?!? I don't think that you can get that much RWHP from your stock stroke, stock crank and if you can with more boost/cam/etc., would you trust your stock crank!?!? If I were you and was spending that much money on a motor I would for sure get a "better" crank to go along with everything else. Good luck and can't wait to see how it all works out!
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I would also put in an aftermarket crank if you are already going to be inside the engine. That being said, I am going for broke (possibly quite literally) in a month or two on my stock crank. I am using the stock crank in the build in my sig. I am changing a couple of things and seeing how much more power I can make. I read a lot of builds making 1000 on the stock ls1 crank and living. LS1 and LS3 crank have same stroke.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
What state are you in? Let us know if you need more info.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
Guys, these LS Stock cranks can handle well over 1000hp. They can also handle 25-28psi boost without issue. Obviously if you can afford and/or want to stroke the engine, then sure buy a aftermarket crank, however the stock cranks will handle your hp goals all day and everyday!

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
No_Traction_B

Im in florida sc2150. Anyways. Yes ive read and my tuner agrees that the stock crank is great even over 1000hp.. i guess what im asking is, what pistons and rods should i go with for high boost. And what is the advantage or disadvantage of adding stroke.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
No_Traction_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-HPS View Post
First thing is you are going to need a bigger blower than a D1 to reach a 1000rwhp. As far as your engine build, give us a call, I will go over some thing with you that is a must when building your LS Engine for boost. I will have pics up this week of a members engine we are building for 1000hp.

Chris
Well if my d1 made 700 at 9.5. And its capable of 22psi. Im sure i. could get pretty close aye? But besides that. Where are you location and whats yal shop #. Ill gladly call you guys.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
If you are asking us on what to get, you need to do some more research. It's your engine, and you should be well informed of what's going in it, or should put someone in charge who can make those decisions. I don't care who says the stock crank is strong enough, it's stupid to leave it in at 1000whp, and the D1SC ain't gonna cut it either, there's a reason that everyone making 1k is using an F1. If you try to cut cost by skipping on items, expect to pay later, whether up front or down the road, it'll cost you to make 1000 wheel.

As far as all of the vendors, I don't care who they are or what they say, before I put any of their recommendations to use I put in the time to find out for myself. To this point, I can tell you the limits on every part on my car, and why it made its way on there, I would highly recommend you do the research so you can do the same. Building a car with that power isn't easy, I have found out the hard way.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
The stock crack is strong enough that's why they said it. When you build enough LS engines you will know what works and what doesn't without the google search.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Didn't say it wasn't strong, I said it was stupid to leave it in when you are already taking it out, why would you knowingly leave the weak link in, doesn't make any sense.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
east TX Muscle cars

Drives: 2x 05 Vettes/65'AC cobra/68 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
So you want 1000 rwhp for the street and without stroking the engine.:troll:
lol

Quote:

as for parts. We use Wiesco or Diamond pistons in all our builds. As for the rods the bolts are the weakest link even in after market ones. Luniti, Eagle,and Callies are all brands we use but at a MINIMUM we use arp 2000 bolts

Quote:
Well if my d1 made 700 at 9.5. And its capable of 22psi. Im sure i. could get pretty close aye? But besides that. Where are you location and whats yal shop #. Ill gladly call you guys.

the d1 will not support 1000RWHP you have to think that is about 1150 CRANK hp and that d1 doesnt flow enough CFM of air to do that. Besides that even if it did you would need a TON of PSI and your stock 4 bolt block will not be able to hold the heads down with the PSI your needing. Sure you can get 1000whp on a stock crank and stock stroke. we did it a while back on a Twin Turbo car had 23 PSI of boost to do it and had head gasket issues from day one. The 4 bolt design just doesnt support it for the long run. To do it RIGHT and make something that will hold for a long time you wont want a stock stroke 1000RWHP motor. you will need to get some HP from other means than cramming boost into it. do it right and stroke it, good heads, all the good stuff. Get a cam that works with your combination. get the most out of the motor NA then boost it. Then you can get to your goal alot easier and safer that way. And if you have the coin get a 6 bolt block

If you have any question or what to get a motor built or work done give us a shout we would be glad to point you in the right direction

here is our old shop car. on 17 psi. through a AUTO 4l80 trans and a 9" rear. This is a pump gas car that was daily driven. This was done on a smaller CI motor( 404 to be exact) Through a stick the hp would be quite a bit more. to go from 700hp to-1000hp its not cheap or easy

Last edited by east TX Muscle cars; 01-29-2013 at 12:44 PM.
east TX Muscle cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
JRE BUILT 1000+ RWHP 2010 CAMARO

Quote:
The other 300 is a lot harder than you think.

Driven daily in Brooklyn NY.

Call me.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote