Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 10-28-2015, 09:50 AM   #673
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
Thanks man!

So I bought a durometer to measure the hardness of the tire. The new 325s read 40. The old ones read 71-72. From what I can find, that means the old tires were about the same hardness as lousy long-lasting street tires, i.e., rocks.

The old 305s lasted me 11 track days. I won't be running these for that long.

Pete
Which durometer did you buy? I should probably pick one up, I see prices range a lot.

Glad to see you had fun with Chin, they're a great group. I ran with them at Texas World early this year and will be going back November 14 & 15. It will be my first track event with the JPSS aero and I cannot wait! In fact I won second place in their referral program, which entails a $1,500 track credit. So guess who is going to be doing a track event at Circuit of the Americas in 2016
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:52 AM   #674
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Post #178?
I think he means post 226

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=226
Old 10-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #675
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Post #178?
Post 232.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
If you are that incapable of driving a manual due to pain, you probably shouldn't be driving, period, but I digress. Then again, the physical incapability to drive has never stopped anyone from getting a driver's license. I doubt there are many one-legged race car drivers out there. Don't you?

Automatics do not perform around a track. They are straight line vehicles. A manual, when driven properly, will decimate an automatic. They don't belong in track-oriented types of cars because the shift points will never be optimal, no matter how good they are programmed. They are not faster, and won't be anytime soon, so it is an invalid comparison.

This isn't an opinion. Automatic transmissions are not used in a track-oriented cars for performance sake. They are there for sales. Most Americans are incapable of driving a manual transmission. It is simply for sales numbers and revenue. If cars were designed solely for performance, track cars wouldn't be offered in an automatic.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #676
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Which durometer did you buy? I should probably pick one up, I see prices range a lot.

Glad to see you had fun with Chin, they're a great group. I ran with them at Texas World early this year and will be going back November 14 & 15. It will be my first track event with the JPSS aero and I cannot wait! In fact I won second place in their referral program, which entails a $1,500 track credit. So guess who is going to be doing a track event at Circuit of the Americas in 2016
Congrats on the track credit! That's a lot of free laps. Texas World looks like a great course... wish it wasn't so far from Virginia. COTA would be great too, some day. Post video !

I got the Digital Durometer #50547 from Longacre. $99.95.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Post 232.....
Boy do I ever not want to get into another argument with someone like the guy in that post who has no clue. I love my no-lift-super-fast-shifts!

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #677
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Congrats on the track credit! That's a lot of free laps. Texas World looks like a great course... wish it wasn't so far from Virginia. COTA would be great too, some day. Post video !

I got the Digital Durometer #50547 from Longacre. $99.95.
Thanks. COTA, VIR, Laguna Seca and Road America are all on my bucket list, looks like I get to check COTA off much sooner than I had anticipated. I will most definitely whore up my car with GoPros. Unfortunately it probably won't be too impressive driving since I've never done track hot laps there. I did do a hot-ish couple laps in a family members C7 Z51. Technically it wasn't a hot lap but you do not go to COTA and at least open it up on that back straight!

Quote:
Boy do I ever not want to get into another argument with someone like the guy in that post who has no clue. I love my no-lift-super-fast-shifts!
Gotta agree with you. When I bought my ZL1 I originally intended it to be a daily driver and do some quarter mile passes, thus opted for the auto. Well once I got the car I did a track event hosted by one of our club sponsors and was immediately hooked. Fast forward to today and it isn't a daily, now has Pete's ridiculous aero package, been to four different tracks in a year and probably close to 1,000 track miles and has yet to see a drag strip. Sometimes I wish it was a manual, as I can see the advantage in certain areas on the track. But I've got to say I'm VERY impressed with how this auto in the ZL1 responds to road course driving, paddles work great.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:06 PM   #678
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Question for one of the Pete's. What kind of trailer are you using to load the car onto? I foresee this big of a splitter being an issue. I've got a possible track event at COTA the weekend after Thanksgiving and trying to figure out what I'm going to do. The trailer I used to get up to C5 Fest was almost an issue. Had to use 2x4's to make extending ramps.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:43 PM   #679
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Question for one of the Pete's. What kind of trailer are you using to load the car onto? I foresee this big of a splitter being an issue. I've got a possible track event at COTA the weekend after Thanksgiving and trying to figure out what I'm going to do. The trailer I used to get up to C5 Fest was almost an issue. Had to use 2x4's to make extending ramps.
I've got a Trailex CT-8045. Really nice, light trailer. 11 foot aluminum loading ramps come out the back, but the angle is too steep so I carry 7 foot race ramps (really light) and just put them in place when it's time to get it on the trailer. They are expensive but they sure beat 2x4s...

Pete

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:56 PM   #680
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
I've got a Trailex CT-8045. Really nice, light trailer. 11 foot aluminum loading ramps come out the back, but the angle is too steep so I carry 7 foot race ramps (really light) and just put them in place when it's time to get it on the trailer. They are expensive but they sure beat 2x4s...

Pete
I do have the same race ramps - 4 of them. I sold my flat bed trailer and ordered a tilt bed with 4" drop axles. The tilt + 4" drop removes the necessity of regular ramps, but I'll have to test to see if I still need the race ramps to extend. I think I'll hit about 8 degrees with the longer bed + loading extensions of new trailer, but race ramp provides a bit less than 6 degrees, and it's barely enough, especially for my Miata. I still think just 2 2x2 boards would be a better solution than 4 7' race ramps. Looking forward to testing it out!
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #681
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
I do have the same race ramps - 4 of them. I sold my flat bed trailer and ordered a tilt bed with 4" drop axles. The tilt + 4" drop removes the necessity of regular ramps, but I'll have to test to see if I still need the race ramps to extend. I think I'll hit about 8 degrees with the longer bed + loading extensions of new trailer, but race ramp provides a bit less than 6 degrees, and it's barely enough, especially for my Miata. I still think just 2 2x2 boards would be a better solution than 4 7' race ramps. Looking forward to testing it out!
That sounds like a nice setup. It is a bit of a PITA to get the ramps in and out etc.

I went for the Trailex in part because the middle of the trailer is open - easy to crawl under and use it as a lift (except for wheel-related stuff).

Old 11-19-2015, 04:05 PM   #682
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
That sounds like a nice setup. It is a bit of a PITA to get the ramps in and out etc.

I went for the Trailex in part because the middle of the trailer is open - easy to crawl under and use it as a lift (except for wheel-related stuff).
I will pick up the new trailer next week. Looking forward to testing it out. If everything works out, I will have two sets of Race Ramps for sale : P
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #683
SSSoon

Gonna be quiet here for a while. We've been planning out winter mods and still have to finalize what we'll be doing. Definitely weight reduction Will post updates as they happen. Looking forward to a fun track season in 2016!

Old 02-15-2016, 07:29 PM   #684
SSSoon

Well that has to be the worst few months of my life, but there's light at the end of the tunnel: the weather is getting warmer, and JusticePete tells me he's about to start on spring mods to get me ready for my first track day at VIR March 21/22. We have Lexan windows all around, a drag dash, lightweight front and back crash bars, nylon tow straps (instead of those heavy metal tow hooks), and a new custom ButlerBuilt seat. The seat is pretty cool; went down to Charlotte to get it fitted to me, and boy does it hug. Halo is higher up, too, at the right spot for my helmet (never was happy with the Kirkey halo, which was too low). It'll also be at more of an angle, meaning I'm lower down in the car. We're going to have to delete the side view mirrors because they obstruct my field of vision now.

We're also planning on doing some drilling to lighten things up (actually, with a plasma cutter), and getting a removable wheel in there because getting out of that new seat ain't easy...

Pete

Old 02-16-2016, 06:53 AM   #685
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
look forward to seeing this beast in person this year! The date at Dominion Raceway may work for me! Why did you sign up in "intermediate" advanced/solo? You will be running over people in that group.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #686
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
look forward to seeing this beast in person this year! The date at Dominion Raceway may work for me! Why did you sign up in "intermediate" advanced/solo? You will be running over people in that group.
Have never run with PCA folks before, so not really sure what their groups look like. I've also never been at Dominion Raceway before (obviously). I typically start a little lower first day to get my bearings, learn the track, etc. It's usually easy to trade up if a group is too slow.