Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
HopeRidesAlone

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
timing chain issue

Well at 63k miles I finally threw the cell for cranshaft position. Mods in sig. Should I do anything else.and how bad is it for.the engine to drive on? Thanks

2010 Black 2SS/RS - Stainless powers 1 7/8 LT headers, cold air inductions cai, Tuned by dynosteve, Feesler side skirt, Feesler Spoiler, Feesler carbon fiber bowties, H&R Lowering Springs.

Last edited by HopeRidesAlone; 11-30-2012 at 06:09 PM.
HopeRidesAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
Heard a lot of issues with the timing chains on the LLTs engines. The Traverse has some of the worse problems.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeRidesAlone View Post
Well at 63k miles I finally threw the cell for cranshaft position. Mods in sig. I know
I'll be flashing back to stock. Should I do anything else.and how bad is it for.the engine to drive on? Thanks
You'll start to lose power and your MPG will start to go down... Don't know if it will actually hurt anything... Flash it back to stock... Dealership shouldn't give you any grief since the timing chain issue is so well know in these motors. The wife had TWO sets put in her Acadia with the LLT in 82,000 miles... And apparently in some of the larger dealerships there are tech that do nothing but replace timing chains all day long...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
HopeRidesAlone

Thanks scrming yeah that's all happened. I knew it was off for probly about 7k miles just wasn't quite right and tonight it threw the code. About how long were you.out of a vehicle for?

2010 Black 2SS/RS - Stainless powers 1 7/8 LT headers, cold air inductions cai, Tuned by dynosteve, Feesler side skirt, Feesler Spoiler, Feesler carbon fiber bowties, H&R Lowering Springs.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeRidesAlone View Post
Thanks scrming yeah that's all happened. I knew it was off for probly about 7k miles just wasn't quite right and tonight it threw the code. About how long were you.out of a vehicle for?
Actually they got is done quite quickly. Want to say the wife only had a loaner car for two days... Not sure how much difference in time there is between a transverse mounted LLT like in the Acadia and normally mounted LLT...
Old 11-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
HopeRidesAlone

Alright thanks for the info. It just hurts with my baby going in for some.more warranty work. Lol

Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
My timing chain snapped 35 days and 500 miles after a cam swap
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
My timing chain snapped 35 days and 500 miles after a cam swap
Dang that's terrible... However we are talking about the known issue with the timing chains stretching in the V6.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Sorry, my bad . Didn't realize this was in the V6 forum. I saw this thread while going through the list of New Posts.
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
HopeRidesAlone

well that was something that crossed my mind was swapping to mace cams. Damn trying to save to.buy a house lol

Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
crit719

Drives: 2013 2ss
this makes me nervous... noticed a power loss lately and wondering if thats the cause and im about to be out of the 3 year warranty
crit719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

My issues was an obvious ticking at idle. I then drove slowly home until the chain snapped and the engine shut down.

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 11-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
You'll start to lose power and your MPG will start to go down... Don't know if it will actually hurt anything... Flash it back to stock... Dealership shouldn't give you any grief since the timing chain issue is so well know in these motors. The wife had TWO sets put in her Acadia with the LLT in 82,000 miles... And apparently in some of the larger dealerships there are tech that do nothing but replace timing chains all day long...

Sounds like a shiddy design. This will be my last 3.6GM even though a 22k mine runs great. This is Rediculous. Is this just with 2010s? Has the issue been fixed in later models?
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
HopeRidesAlone

Crit719 don't worry its power train warrentu so 5 years 100k miles