Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 09-13-2018, 07:43 PM   #1
DarkFangz1100

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Tuning

Does anybody do their own tunes? Was looking for advice/things not to do.

Just got an HP Tuner due to wanting to turn off CEL from O2 sensors.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
dekes1

Drives: Camaro like
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFangz1100 View Post
Does anybody do their own tunes? Was looking for advice/things not to do.

Just got an HP Tuner due to wanting to turn off CEL from O2 sensors.
One of the things that i feel is absolutely critical to being effective at tuning is to have proper logging/monitoring in place. You really need to spend a good amount of time setting up your channels and views in HPT to show all the critical PIDs. The obvious things like KR, A/F ratio, RPM, MAF flow, MAP and relative boost pressure, etc.
I'd be more than willing to share my channels file if you want.

Also, spend some time going through the HPT forums and look for anything related to the LTG and the older LNF. You'll learn a s#!1ton of basic knowledge from the forums. Check out HPT posts and youtube for a guy named CobaltSSOverbooster (CSSOB). He's got tons of good tuning info.

Last piece of advice - ONE CHANGE AT A TIME. Make small increments and only one parameter at a time.
dekes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekes1 View Post

Last piece of advice - ONE CHANGE AT A TIME. Make small increments and only one parameter at a time.
I cannot stress my agreement on that anymore then the next guy.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
DarkFangz1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekes1 View Post
One of the things that i feel is absolutely critical to being effective at tuning is to have proper logging/monitoring in place. You really need to spend a good amount of time setting up your channels and views in HPT to show all the critical PIDs. The obvious things like KR, A/F ratio, RPM, MAF flow, MAP and relative boost pressure, etc.
I'd be more than willing to share my channels file if you want.

Also, spend some time going through the HPT forums and look for anything related to the LTG and the older LNF. You'll learn a s#!1ton of basic knowledge from the forums. Check out HPT posts and youtube for a guy named CobaltSSOverbooster (CSSOB). He's got tons of good tuning info.

Greatly appreciate your input. I pulled the stock tune from HP tuners website that I've been digging through trying to figure out where everything is and what's labeled as what. But will definitely check their forums! I can definitely understand the one change at a time lol I work on airplanes electric systems and software for a living so if we do 30 changes we don't know what fixes an issue
Old 09-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
DarkFangz1100

Y'all have any tips on getting IAT down...it's 103 outside and the cars running at 130
Old 09-15-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
I will tell you this.... if you have never tuned before, this platform is a horrible platform to learn on. Not only are things generally more complicated than previous platforms, but there is less support and people are not willing to share information.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:47 PM   #7
raflyer

Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFangz1100 View Post
Y'all have any tips on getting IAT down...it's 103 outside and the cars running at 130
Turn your fan percentage up I run mine at 65 to 90% Factory is like 10-15% around operating temp
raflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:16 AM   #8
DarkFangz1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
I will tell you this.... if you have never tuned before, this platform is a horrible platform to learn on. Not only are things generally more complicated than previous platforms, but there is less support and people are not willing to share information.
So, I've noticed lol.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by raflyer View Post
Turn your fan percentage up I run mine at 65 to 90% Factory is like 10-15% around operating temp
I'll try that thank you!
Old 09-16-2018, 09:50 PM   #9
2.0t_godfather

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2.0t
These car are touchy and not all the charts are right in the file. It may be Hp tuners, it may be gm. The best thing to happen to the LTG is people bitching about stuff in masses to get hp tuners to fix things. You can adjust one chart one way, and have the car do the opposite of what it is supposed to. You may be better off getting a base tune from someone that doen't lock it down and make changes from there.
2.0t_godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:47 PM   #10
DarkFangz1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0t_godfather View Post
These car are touchy and not all the charts are right in the file. It may be Hp tuners, it may be gm. The best thing to happen to the LTG is people bitching about stuff in masses to get hp tuners to fix things. You can adjust one chart one way, and have the car do the opposite of what it is supposed to. You may be better off getting a base tune from someone that doen't lock it down and make changes from there.
I pulled the stock one off HP Tuners website...and going off the non locked one I have as well I have a backup of both just in case

Also, do you have any recommendations for the 02 sensors...I disabled it once but it came back on? Not sure if I did something wrong

Last edited by DarkFangz1100; 09-18-2018 at 12:05 AM.
DarkFangz1100 is offline   Reply With Quote