Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
John J

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0 Turbo
problems with 2018 model (?)

I own a 2018 Camaro 2.0 turbo which is holding back / stutters when driving away slowly with a cold engine. I also posted this in another thread but I thought this might be interesting enough to make a thread of it's own. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...1#post10315887

My Camaro dealer tries hard to solve the problem but did not succeed yet. He says there is less cooperation from GM America :-(
GM says they do not recognise this problem. Is there maybe a technician active from GM at these topics? Because than I could try to contact him / her.

Back to what i found out.
I think i foud out this is a problem of the 2018 model because it has another computer for the motormanagement than the 2017 model.

Therefore i hope GM will fix this soon with an update or something.

I have been experimenting and i think i have some things you can try to reduce the problem.

1) start the engine and wait for 1 or 2 minutes till the rpm's drop around 1000 rpm or less.
2 start the engine and slightly step on the accelerator pedal till around 3000 rpm.
3) do not drive away slowly but "fast". Not too fast of course because you want to stay friends with the neughbours ;-)

Does someone have an idea if this problem can be baused because of the automatic choke?
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #2
Kevin_S17

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Vert Summit White
I have experienced the same exact problem. My solution has been to either crawl away from the driveway until it shifts 1st to 2nd or give it enough pedal to get a crisp shift.

No idea why it is happening.
Kevin_S17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
John J

You also own a 2018 model 2.0 turbo?
Old 09-19-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
Neorift

Drives: 2018 2.0T
I have a 2018 and have never experienced this.

I also never put the transmission into any other gear until the engine is at normal idle.
Neorift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:02 PM   #5
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Do you have tje M6 or A8 if it's the A8 your problem is already well documented and known so if you have the A8 and your dealer couldn't figure out the problem one of 3 things happened. 1. They are f$&@in morons. 2. They know the problem but don't want to deal with the process. 3. They don't know how to look up TSBs correctly so see 1 again.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:07 AM   #6
John J

Hello Evil-Bee-NH.
I have an automatic transmission.
Can you give me a hint what the problem could be? Or do you maybe have a link to the thread?
Than i can go to my Camaro dealer with that information.
Thank you very much in advance.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #7
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
I'm not convinced they solved the A8 Transmission Shudder in the 2018 as it was factory programming that actually caused the issues but if it's really bad it can damage your torque converter and that gets expensive if it's out of warranty for whatever reason. They'll likely try the triple flush which has lackluster results the only actual fix is to lower the slip% in the TCM.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #8
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Yeah, this sounds like the same problem I have with my 2016 SS A8. I always let the engine idle down before I take off, but the issue is when you don't give it enough gas to make the transmission shift quickly. If it shifts slowly it will shudder it seems like half the time. I know when my wife drives my car it does it more often than not. But I always give it a bit of gas and I don't have an issue unless I let the transmission shift slowly (baby it). Then the car lunges forward and back.

From what I'm reading, evil-bee-nh is right, the slip% needs to be adjusted.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #9
Kevin_S17

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Vert Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by John J View Post
You also own a 2018 model 2.0 turbo?
I have a 2017 2.0T. Same issue though. Also, I had pinging at various rpms (which I assume is the "peng-peng" sound you described. Cylinder 1 on my motor stopped firing last week. Now it sits at the dealer waiting for a GM Rep to "inspect" the car before they even begin work.

Not so fun.
Kevin_S17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #10
dekes1

Drives: Camaro like
Are you guys talking about the known A8 issue where the first shift of the day is a shuddering mess? I'm not sure I understad OP's issue...

But, regarding the specific first shift of the day, this is a design flaw in all 8L-45 GM transmissions. Its due to the first fill of the valve body which occurs during the first 1-2 shift. There is no fix for this and it will never go away. There's tons of info about it online. The one thing you can do to prevent it, is to put the trans in manual mode and shift from 1 to 2 while still sitting still. From that point on, all shifts will be normal.

Ignore all of my ramblings if this isn't the issue you're describing.
dekes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #11
John J

Hello dekes1,
Yes it looks like the same problem but my Camaro dealers says the problem is not caused by the transmission but probably by the engine.
Is there a solution for the A8 problem or how can the problem be reduced?

I think i foud out that if i start the car and wait till the rpm's drop to 1000 rpm (or bit less) that the problem is less or deappeared. But that means it should have something to do with the automatic choke and waiting time will go up if outside temperature is getting colder......

Can the automatic choke be disabled?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:09 AM   #12
soldes

Drives: car
John, it's disheartening to hear they still haven't solved the problem, as we have the same dealer....
I can't say I ever have experienced anything you have described however I always let the car idle down (hot & cold weather) before shifting into any gear do maybe that's why. (yes my very first 1st to 2nd shift is rough as well).
Now let's all laugh, but has anyone ever heard a noise sounding almost exactly like a turkey? It happens often when you are around 10-25 mph coasting down and hit the gas. The transmission is in a too high gear this sounds happens before it down shifts. It happens at the same volume with the sound management on or off). Is this the peng peng you describe? is it a misfire? ( no I didn't ran over or have a turkey stuffed under the hood).
Nick
soldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #13
dekes1

Drives: Camaro like
Quote:
Originally Posted by John J View Post
Hello dekes1,
Yes it looks like the same problem but my Camaro dealers says the problem is not caused by the transmission but probably by the engine.
Is there a solution for the A8 problem or how can the problem be reduced?

I think i foud out that if i start the car and wait till the rpm's drop to 1000 rpm (or bit less) that the problem is less or deappeared. But that means it should have something to do with the automatic choke and waiting time will go up if outside temperature is getting colder......

Can the automatic choke be disabled?
I think your issue is different than what i was describing, because the "first shift of the day" issue isnt related to engine idle rpm. It occurs when driving away from a stop for the first time and it happens regardless of rpm.

On a side note, regarding your question about automatic choke - the engine idle rpm is determined by a set of tables in the ECM and it looks at variables like intake and coolant temperature. You could artificially change the tune to immediately drop the idle but i would not recommend doing so. This will result in issues during cold weather, will result in fouled spark plugs, could result in poor start-off lubrication and may cause other issues.
dekes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:38 PM   #14
John J

@Soldes, nice to hear: someone else from Belgium found this forum too :-)

I have been experimenting and if i let the car idle down, the problem does not occur, but isn't it strange that you have to do a trick to drive away without problems? Other cars do not have this problem as far as i know.... And as the weather gets colder, waiting time will increase, i asume, before the engine idles down.

The problem of "the turkey sound", you discribe, does not sound familiar to me, but i drive almost all the time in manual shift instead of automatic. The "peng peng" sound i mentioned is a sound which looks like fuel igniting in the exhaust.