Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-25-2015, 07:49 AM   #603
Chaotic73
BUMBLLB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Can I still make calls & control the radio from the head unit if I don't have the steering wheel controls?
Old 05-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #604
Jmbasile

Drives: 2011 camaro SS l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2CA View Post
I figured it out people and I'm going to share the knowledge here for all who want to add bluetooth hands-free phone support to their existing stereo with oem onstar box. Forgive the poor quality of my pics..

There are two separate onstar modules for use in the 2010 Camaro. They are made by Continental (who bought motorola's car division)
The basic box is part #20842730, it has only two fakra antenna connectors and no bluetooth emblem on this box

The other module is part # 20842731, has three fakra antennas one of which has a small bluetooth antenna attached. The box has a bluetooth emblem on it, some will find the antenna is not included as it is a seperate part: #15938939?
here is another view of the connectors on the bluetooth box w/antenna

The procedure for replacing the box is very easy:
First pull the onstar fuse in the interior fuse box (refer to owners manual)
Next remove the glovebox and the protective plastic moulding behind the glove box up high by the dash
This protective piece is held in by 5 torx screws
Once this piece is removed you can plainly see the precious silver onstar box hanging upside down on the left

The box unclips and slides right out of a plastic bezel (easy easy)
Unclip the two fakra wires and the two white small harnesses and switch the boxes
here is the new box connected slide it back into the bezel and reistall the protective piece and glovebox.

Reinstall the Fuse and You're Done! Turn on your car and pair your Bluetooth Phone (My iPhone worked flawlessly, instantly)

Next press the blue onstar button on your rear view mirror and inform them that you have changed your hardware, they can migrate your current account in about 15 minutes.

The only real hurdle you will have is locating a bluetooth onstar box for sale as I do not believe that you can order the part from the dealer. It is my understanding that they will only replace the box in case of theft, fire, or accidental damage... I bought mine from an aftermarket builder who stripped down the car for racing.
OK, I think that's it.

Let me know if I missed anything or if you have any questions, but go easy on me this is my first tutorial post
Hi, I'm from Brazil. Sorry about my English. In Brazil the 2011 2SS model comes with Bluetooth streaming and all the buttons on the steering wheel working normally, but no hands-free call as long as onstar came around here on the late 2015. So I bought a vcim module from eBay, BUT, when I was attempting to install it, there was none module under the glove box to be substituted, and no wire harness with the connectors for this module too, so how will I plug the vcim, which cabe do I need? I did a little research and I think I need the cable #92229381, but I'm not sure. I only want the hands-free call. HELLLLP ME, PLEASE.
Jmbasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:26 PM   #605
Capown

Drives: Picking up 2010 SS
So I guess this thread is dead now?? I just received my Bluetooth capable onstar module with antenna. Before I install it I just wanted verification that it will allow me to make hands free calls from my "phone" and not thru onstar. Trying to put a number in on the stock radio is pretty dumb.
Capown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:30 PM   #606
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
There are many older threads that contain relevant data. A simple refresh, as you just did, should spark the attention of anyone that has a relevant response to your question.

Give it a few days.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #607
Capown

Drives: Picking up 2010 SS
Just wanted to confirm Module was $50 and attena was $10 it took 15mins start to finish. Plugged the fuse and it worked like a charm. Now I just need the steering wheel controls.
Capown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #608
zman1969

Drives: 1969 R/S Z28 302 m20 Endura
bring this up for any info on adding to a 2015? my Onstar box was stolen so I need to buy one anyway, called dealer says my car didn't have so do I just need correct one with BT? seems simple enough!

EDIT Ofer called me and advised in '13 that the Bluetooth was put in Mylink so std Onstar module is all that's needed since 13-15
Bluetooth is in Mylink

hope this helps others with 13-15 models

Last edited by zman1969; 09-05-2017 at 10:03 AM.
zman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #609
Robar1

Drives: 2010 1SS
Ok, found a bunch of new boxes on Ebay for a little over $100 and an antenna for $8. I installed it today in 20 minutes and I can now make hands free calls. Still no steering wheel controls as GM made sure that upgrade can't be done now, but at least I can connect my phone to my radio and use the onstar mic and radio to talk and hear.
Robar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #610
Carsten

Drives: 2010 2SSRS
Is it possible to upgrade the Bluetooth module?

I have a 2010 2SS. The Bluetooth streaming sounds horrible. My understanding is Bluetooth has evolved and there are upgraded versions of it which do not sound horrible. Does anyone know it is possible to upgrade the Bluetooth module too a newer version for better streaming?

I ask this question because of the expense of just the installation kit. I use the USB connection with an IPOD and this sounds great but the connection with it is hit or miss.
Carsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #611
Marcin1

Drives: 3.5V6 LS 2011
Hi

It looks very old thread so no photos are available. I am going to buy Camaro 2010/11 without BT and would like to upgrade it. Anybody could help with guideline?
Marcin1 is offline   Reply With Quote