Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-24-2020, 10:14 PM   #1
leemozoid

Drives: '15 Silverado LTZ & '13 ZL1 ragtop
Tuning the BMR complete ZL1 rear suspension with Strange shocks

At 60k my magride shocks were leaking to the point of replacement. I decided to do a complete rear suspension replacement. Now comes the hard part. Tuning the shocks so my car (a 2013 convertible ZL1) doesn't ride like a Conestoga wagon. With compression at 3 and extension at 5 she still has her ass in the air like a cheap whore but only the roughest of pavements bounce my head off of the top. What experiences have you who run these suspensions had with tuning these shocks? What settings work best for you?
HP tune, Kooks 1 7/8" LT w/ cat deletes, FIC 1300 inj, E85, GPI SS3 blower cam, Fore Innovations Gen 5 dual pump module with twin TI Automotive 430 lph E85 compatible pumps, Lingenfelter 10 bolt 2.55" upper/9.17" lower pulleys, AFCO triple pass intercooler with dual fans, Killer Chiller interchiller, B3R insulated expansion tank, full BMR rear drag cradle and suspension, DSS one piece driveshaft and Stage 5 billet axle shafts, Rotofab CAI, reinforced brick, Devil's Own progressive methanol injection, FTI 9.5" billet lock up Street Racer torque converter, 3200 rpm stall, triple clutch.
leemozoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:48 PM   #2
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1

Was the suspension torqued with a loaded suspension?
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:47 PM   #3
Scotty D

Drives: 2014 1le 1SS CRMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post

Is this true ???
This is the first time i heard of this !!
Bmr installation instructions doesn’t say anything about that???
Or do you mean to say timing the bushing
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #4
FasNuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Is this true ???
This is the first time i heard of this !!
Bmr installation instructions doesn’t say anything about that???
Or do you mean to say timing the bushing
I've heard it said that way or clocked. My understanding whenever torquing suspension is it should always be on it's wheels and level, that's what I meant by loaded, sorry if confusing.

Can an expert chime in here?
Old 08-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #5
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
What you have is our Drag Race Package with Race designed Valving & 500lb Springs. It's not supposed to ride like a Mag Ride car.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:06 PM   #6
leemozoid

Quote:
What you have is our Drag Race Package with Race designed Valving & 500lb Springs. It's not supposed to ride like a Mag Ride car.
I don't expect that. I also don't expect the windows to rattle with every seam in the pavement.
HP tune, Kooks 1 7/8" LT w/ cat deletes, FIC 1300 inj, E85, GPI SS3 blower cam, Fore Innovations Gen 5 dual pump module with twin TI Automotive 430 lph E85 compatible pumps, Lingenfelter 10 bolt 2.55" upper/9.17" lower pulleys, AFCO triple pass intercooler with dual fans, Killer Chiller interchiller, B3R insulated expansion tank, full BMR rear drag cradle and suspension, DSS one piece driveshaft and Stage 5 billet axle shafts, Rotofab CAI, reinforced brick, Devil's Own progressive methanol injection, FTI 9.5" billet lock up Street Racer torque converter, 3200 rpm stall, triple clutch.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:12 PM   #7
leemozoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post

Good question. My tuner let his apprentice do a lot on this last round of mods and he ****ed a few things up.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #8
leemozoid

Nobody ever tuned one of these? I'm getting fair ride quality on the street but needs some tweaking. I can see "-" and "+" on compression but not on extension. She's still bouncy on the major dips but the seams are smooth. More compression or less? There seems to be 10 adjustment stops on extension. Which direction is "0" and which setting is best for street/strip car.

[] more compression
[] less compresson
[] more extension
[] less extension

Help a brother out! I don't want to shake my baby to death with all this new power and a wonky suspension.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #9
leemozoid

Quote:
So as your company's representative to this forum, is this your official stance to my request for assistance? A smart ass comment on the obvious rather than a baseline for settings which have worked for other owners of similar platforms? I probably could have come up with better advice from roadside panhandler, insofar as my tuning request and your reconfirmation of what I had purchased from Summit. Maybe I need to call them?
Old 09-08-2020, 07:56 PM   #10
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Looking at this kit....I still wonder if clocking/timing the suspension would be the first step. Then try adjusting to you liking. Im only guessing the springs are stock height (BMR doesn't indicate).
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:57 PM   #11
leemozoid

Quote:
I have seen this kit Install incorrectly as well as missing Clocking
The instructions supplied to the installer with the kit are pitiful at best. All positive, constructive input is appreciated. I know this is a DRAG kit. This kit didn't even come with recommended shock settings for "starter" applications and to work from there to find the best compression and expansion settings. We'll figure it out. In the meantime my wife will not drive the car because as she says, "It make my tits slap my face."
Old 09-09-2020, 09:59 PM   #12
leemozoid

Quote:
What reply to this beyond, "No shit, Sherlock!" would be appropriate. I asked for help with setting up the suspension. You simply quoted the obvious. That is clearly not in the vein of good customer service.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:38 PM   #13
FasNuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemozoid View Post
The instructions supplied to the installer with the kit are pitiful at best. All positive, constructive input is appreciated. I know this is a DRAG kit. This kit didn't even come with recommended shock settings for "starter" applications and to work from there to find the best compression and expansion settings. We'll figure it out. In the meantime my wife will not drive the car because as she says, "It make my tits slap my face."
I wish my wife had such a problem!
Old 09-09-2020, 11:59 PM   #14
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
start by lowering your compression, if your at the last increment and it’s still harsh you need a softer spring. maximize your rebound a couple clicks, it could be set too fast which will also give you a harsh feel.

Edit: a break in period is required but it shouldn’t be as stiff as ur explaining. possibly they are torqued down too tight not allowing movement in the pivots? too much spring preload?

Last edited by bottletalk; 09-10-2020 at 03:38 AM.
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote