Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
layjar12

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Splash gaurds

I know this is going to sound boot leg and does not make sense on 40k cars like our but I am a cheap ass so I am going to ask it anyways. Has anyone tried making there own splash gaurds? Just have trouble spending $125 on a couple pieces of plastic.
layjar12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
BowTieBoy14

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
If you have a 1LE they are a must, especially because of those 285 35 ZR20 lint rollers that Goodyear calls tires. I actually ended up making a set for mine. For me, part of it was the price and part of it was the fit, I wasn't extremely pleased with the options I was able to find on the market at the time. $12 at the local auto-parts store plus a few bucks for the clips to hold the upper section in place. Here are a few pics of how they turned out.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I believe there are write ups in the DIY section on how to do it. If you need help or If you are looking for a template I may be able to send you the one I made, just let me know.

Oh and an FYI, If you are having issues finding stainless clips like I did, I would suggest painting with a heavy duty spray paint then coating with something like a black RTV. The RTV keeps the constant stream of rocks flowing from our tires from beating the paint off of the clips and rusting.

-Michael
BowTieBoy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
layjar12

I would love a template if you have it. What clips did you use? I'm assuming you used some if the existing screws to hold it on. They look sick by the way. Just a universal flap from parts store?
Old 09-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by layjar12 View Post
I know this is going to sound boot leg and does not make sense on 40k cars like our but I am a cheap ass so I am going to ask it anyways. Has anyone tried making there own splash gaurds? Just have trouble spending $125 on a couple pieces of plastic.
Try these, great price and they work very nice on mine:

http://www.xtremercracing.com/Produc...30026&pID=1601
Old 09-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
layjar12

I saw those, price looks great. Was concerned about some of the feedback, some saying they tape was no good. Yours staying on ok.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by layjar12 View Post
I saw those, price looks great. Was concerned about some of the feedback, some saying they tape was no good. Yours staying on ok.
As long as you use the supplied clips for the fronts they are fine. I also used different screws (stainless steel from Home Depot) for the rears as I found the supplied ones didn't fit very well. Still a great deal and fit though, they sure help save your paint. If you make some yourself you'd need screws anyways and the spacers that come with the kit.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #7
layjar12

They sure look good. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
BowTieBoy14

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
I have attached a PDF of the template I made. It is traced on 2 standard 8.5x11 sheets of paper. You can easily see where you would join the two sheets end to end and if you print full pages the aspect ratio should be correct. Those two black dots are the screw holes and yes, I just reused the screws that are there holding the inner fender on. I also forgot to mention that I used 3M VHB (thick double sided tape like used for installing vent visors) to go in between the splash guard and the metal fender. It probably will eventually come loose from the splash guard however it will keep rocks from getting in between the fender and splash guard and scratching the lip of the fender. As for the clips I will try and track down the size I used however you could probably just go to your local hardware store and get a few sizes and return what isn't correct. Also, below is the splash guards I got from Autozone.

The guards SSMY1LE recommended look like a pretty good deal if you don't want to mess with them.

Good Luck and let us know how they turn out if you choose the DIY route.

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Template.pdf (274.9 KB, 99 views)
BowTieBoy14 is offline   Reply With Quote