Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #43
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
If they are backing out, then why did GM not just put a cotter pin in it? Cotter pins have been used to hold the hubs in place forever. Why did they stop now?
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:57 AM   #44
Hellphyre

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Hi, all!

I went ahead and checked my axle nuts today. Passenger-side axle nut was fine (factory marks lined-up). Driver-side back out five-degrees (about half the width of the marker). I went ahead and tightened it. Best I could do was a breaker bar (no impact tool used).

I have a 2019 ZL1 with 2500 miles. I do track days and spirited driving.
Hellphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:08 PM   #45
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
One of mine looked a little off the blue mark. I checked and it was torqued to at least 200. This tells me the mark can be a little off or they're torqued higher than 200
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:01 PM   #46
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
One of mine looked a little off the blue mark. I checked and it was torqued to at least 200. This tells me the mark can be a little off or they're torqued higher than 200
That is good to know, mine was slightly off it's mark as well, maybe 10° or so, going to check them at next oil change (1500 total miles)...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:52 AM   #47
2K16SummitSS
Resident Land Surveyor

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS - Summit White M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K16SummitSS View Post
I had a warranty claim for this issue a couple years ago. They claimed the noise was 'corrosion on the axles', but my suspicion is the nut was loose. Here we are in the present and the exact noise has reappeared, along with a bit of drivetrain slop. Car is far out of warranty now, but at least it should be an easy fix. I'm sure the dealership didn't replace the nut, and if it's TTY then that would explain why it backed off again. I will look into replacement for both sides just in case.
Coming back to this. I confirmed not only did the dealership re-use the original axle nuts, but instead of torquing them to spec they tightened it down to flush and attempted to crimp the heads into the grooves of the stud The idiots did at least re-mark so I could see their crimp method was garbage and both had backed out about 1/8th turn.

Such a night and day difference for such a cheap part replacement. Glad I got to it before something really broke.
2001 NBM Trans Am WS6, Wifey's Grocery Getter - Torquer V2 cam, Racetronix Fuel Pump, Yank 3000 Stall, Transgo 1-2 kit, TSP LTs, Magnaflow, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTIIs, Ed Wright tuned
2K16SummitSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #48
appleman22

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K16SummitSS View Post
Coming back to this. I confirmed not only did the dealership re-use the original axle nuts, but instead of torquing them to spec they tightened it down to flush and attempted to crimp the heads into the grooves of the stud The idiots did at least re-mark so I could see their crimp method was garbage and both had backed out about 1/8th turn.

Such a night and day difference for such a cheap part replacement. Glad I got to it before something really broke.
Right? Isn't it crazy the difference it makes when you tighten them up?
appleman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #49
2K16SummitSS
Resident Land Surveyor

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS - Summit White M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleman22 View Post
Right? Isn't it crazy the difference it makes when you tighten them up?
Absolutely 'nuts' .... But seriously, I didn't realize just how much of a problem it really was. Kinda snuck up on me over time, like the frog in a pot of boiling water thing I suppose
2001 NBM Trans Am WS6, Wifey's Grocery Getter - Torquer V2 cam, Racetronix Fuel Pump, Yank 3000 Stall, Transgo 1-2 kit, TSP LTs, Magnaflow, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTIIs, Ed Wright tuned
2K16SummitSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #50
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
per service manual:
If you replace them:

Tighten the NEW torque prevailing wheel drive shaft nut to 185 lb ft.

Do NOT reuse wheel drive shaft nut.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:36 PM   #51
Walnutbear

Drives: 2019 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Is their a TSB for this?
I'm not to keen on the acronyms here. Could someone please tell me what TBS means?
Also Is the correct torque spec.on my zl1 185 or 200 ft lbs? I've seen 2 different #'s posted here?
Also, is the torque prevailing wheel drive shaft nut supposed to be (maintained)?, because of the wheel bearings changing their initial specifications due to wear ?
Are the wheel bearings lesser quality, making this condition?
Or possibly faulty Nuts ?
I am bye no means an expert,so pardon me if I sound like a fool?

I hope I didn't make a big mistake buying my ride! This problem alone is making me nervous. I've had old used cars from 60's,70's,that never had this problem. This could be fatal for someone.
Never would I have guessed that my dream car, that I was finally able to purchase by sacrificing so much,could possibly have such an unnecessary problem, easily fixable, but potentially detrimental for myself. I am a huge fan of technology, But c'mon, man this is shameful in my opinion. I will check mine out when I get a chance.
I didn't even get things I need yet in order to jack it up! (1600 miles)
Thanks All for the great info!
Thank goodness for this forum!
Brian from Lancaster County Pa.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:42 PM   #52
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the 2017 factory shop manual says 185lbft. It seams to me that they were not properly torqued from the factory. Some loctite 272 should probably be put on these for now on.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:55 PM   #53
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walnutbear View Post
I'm not to keen on the acronyms here. Could someone please tell me what TBS means?
Also Is the correct torque spec.on my zl1 185 or 200 ft lbs? I've seen 2 different #'s posted here?
Also, is the torque prevailing wheel drive shaft nut supposed to be (maintained)?, because of the wheel bearings changing their initial specifications due to wear ?

I hope I didn't make a big mistake buying my ride! This problem alone is making me nervous. I've had old used cars from 60's,70's,that never had this problem. This could be fatal for someone.
Never would I have guessed that my dream car, that I was finally able to purchase by sacrificing so much,could possibly have such an unnecessary problem, easily fixable, but potentially detrimental for myself. I am a huge fan of technology, But c'mon, man this is shameful in my opinion. I will check mine out when I get a chance.
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:39 PM   #54
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walnutbear View Post

Brian,

Don't freak out about this, I think it is an issue, but not a MAJOR issue... (I haven't heard of anyone losing a wheel over this)... I would check them and keep an eye on things but don't lose sleep over it...

I too bought my dream car (2020 2SS), there are always going to be some issues with every car, none are perfect... Fortunately we have a resource such as this to learn from others and keep up on information to help us improve our rides!

(at 1,600 miles, I hope you have already changed your oil and diff fluid at LEAST once! (mine is getting ready for it's second change and I am at 1,460 miles (40 miles to go!)))
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:47 AM   #55
Walnutbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin
Ahh,thanks HDRDTD
Old 05-18-2020, 12:50 AM   #56
Walnutbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Brian,

Don't freak out about this, I think it is an issue, but not a MAJOR issue... (I haven't heard of anyone losing a wheel over this)... I would check them and keep an eye on things but don't lose sleep over it...

I too bought my dream car (2020 2SS), there are always going to be some issues with every car, none are perfect... Fortunately we have a resource such as this to learn from others and keep up on information to help us improve our rides!

(at 1,600 miles, I hope you have already changed your oil and diff fluid at LEAST once! (mine is getting ready for it's second change and I am at 1,460 miles (40 miles to go!)))
Thank you sir, 2sscapt I oil change done. Next is scheduled for both?
I will keep in mind what you have said.