Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Has anyone cammed a V6 yet? Can you?Video

Here is a video of a 4th gen. Sounds pretty good.

Is there anything available for 5th gens yet?V6 that is
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
I don't know about camming it...but his exhaust sounds pretty damn throaty!! about sounds like a V8!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
There are videos all over youtube of 4thgen V6 camaros that have big cams in them. They all sound amazing. Hope something like this is available for us 5th gen V6 guys
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
We have dual overhead cams with variable valve timing. The 4th gen v6's were a designed with a single cam and no variable valve timing. Much cheaper/easier to do theirs than this one. I haven't heard anyone doing cams, yet, but I'd believe it if I heard someone doing it.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Yeah, not too many people are interested in making serious modifications to V6 Camaros to start with, at least in comparison to the V8 crowd. And very few are interested in swapping out 4 cam shafts.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:32 AM   #6
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
The question is I guess, how much difference will it make to cam a 5thGen V6 ?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Yeah, not too many people are interested in making serious modifications to V6 Camaros to start with, at least in comparison to the V8 crowd. And very few are interested in swapping out 4 cam shafts.
What makes you say that? There's goes on a the boards who have spent plenty of coin, comparable to the v8 crowds, when it comes to exhaust mods, nitrous, turbos etc.

There's decent population on the board who has been waiting on a SC, including myself. I am sure there's plenty of v6 guys who don't visit the board, who are modding the hell out of their cars.

I find that its more to do with the manufacturers assumptions and opinions that V8s are the only ones who need modding or their owners are the only serious Camaro owners. ARH sales were going crazy once a couple of us put on their headers and everyone else saw them, so did BBKs.

Just cuz someone bought a v6, doesn't mean they don't want their cars to go as fast as possible.

Personally, I don't have the coin left to do something like this yet. Also, mine is a DD, so I don't want to go experimenting on the car untill someone else figures it out.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
rhd
dirtbag

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
i would do it in a heart beat if the price was right
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
The question is I guess, how much difference will it make to cam a 5thGen V6 ?

Thats what I want to know. From what I heard on a few other threads, that it could be pretty expensive. But think about a set of 3.73 gears and a cam, man that car would be damn fast
Old 12-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
rhd
dirtbag

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
yes it would be, i tryed to find someone that would do a custom grind but i didnt have any luck
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
What makes you say that? There's goes on a the boards who have spent plenty of coin, comparable to the v8 crowds, when it comes to exhaust mods, nitrous, turbos etc.

There's decent population on the board who has been waiting on a SC, including myself. I am sure there's plenty of v6 guys who don't visit the board, who are modding the hell out of their cars.

I find that its more to do with the manufacturers assumptions and opinions that V8s are the only ones who need modding or their owners are the only serious Camaro owners. ARH sales were going crazy once a couple of us put on their headers and everyone else saw them, so did BBKs.

Just cuz someone bought a v6, doesn't mean they don't want their cars to go as fast as possible.

Personally, I don't have the coin left to do something like this yet. Also, mine is a DD, so I don't want to go experimenting on the car untill someone else figures it out.
I know that there are people who want to mod their V6's, but the number that want to play around with forced induction or cams is far fewer than in the V8 crowd. A set of headers is somewhat different than doing a cam swap.

You also hit on a very key point: daily drivers. The number of V6 Camaros that are weekend/track toys is very low. Most them as DD's, like yourself (which is great, I think its a shame to keep cars locked up when they can be driven). However, as you said, it makes people less willing to experiment.

Add it all up, and the market for doing more than light intake/exhaust work on the V6's isn't all that big. Plus, a lot of the people that have both the interest and budget for that stuff went for the V8 to start with. And before you think that this is a knock on V6 buyers not being able to afford the SS, I should let you know that I can't afford either at the moment.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
It would be cool but unless you custom did it it's not likely to happen. I'd think that the work involved and the end cost would be more than most people would pay. The problem is the V8. It's just the cheaper route in the long run so the majority of people are gonna target that. Of course if there's no demand for a product you could always create a product and make the demand.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I know that there are people who want to mod their V6's, but the number that want to play around with forced induction or cams is far fewer than in the V8 crowd. A set of headers is somewhat different than doing a cam swap.

You also hit on a very key point: daily drivers. The number of V6 Camaros that are weekend/track toys is very low. Most them as DD's, like yourself (which is great, I think its a shame to keep cars locked up when they can be driven). However, as you said, it makes people less willing to experiment.

Add it all up, and the market for doing more than light intake/exhaust work on the V6's isn't all that big. Plus, a lot of the people that have both the interest and budget for that stuff went for the V8 to start with. And before you think that this is a knock on V6 buyers not being able to afford the SS, I should let you know that I can't afford either at the moment.
Man, I peg to differ.

Most of the members that you are speaking to, have moded their V6 to a level that exceeded the SS price.

If not, then you are speaking to the first one right now !

Buying a V6 doesnt mean that we cant afford the V8, it means that we love the V6.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #14
Demon Hunter

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LT
I'd cam mine in a heart beat for the sound alone.....