Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
Well I came across this in my tech manuals looking for the jack points. Compared to what little photos we have this looks like the underside of the vert.

Do you work at a dealer?

I can't see your image, but I'm sure it's fair to say that I appreciate what you posted

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #16
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Do you work at a dealer?

I can't see your image, but I'm sure it's fair to say that I appreciate what you posted
No but I have all three manuals in PDF form.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
No but I have all three manuals in PDF form.
Did you pay for those and if not, would you mind sharing where you obtained them? I've been interested in service and parts manuals If not, I completely understand

-Chuck

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #18
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Did you pay for those and if not, would you mind sharing where you obtained them? I've been interested in service and parts manuals If not, I completely understand

-Chuck
Well the person whom I obtained them from no longer sells them. There would probably be copyright issues if he did.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Well the person whom I obtained them from no longer sells them. There would probably be copyright issues if he did.
That's what I was affraid of and I completely understand

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #20
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Well I came across this in my tech manuals looking for the jack points. Compared to what little photos we have this looks like the underside of the vert.

Awesome!!! That is even better than a photo, you can see everything very clearly. Seeing the "V" braces and the transmission support now, I would say that it looks like a very lightweight solution to chassis flex. If they can get a convertible just as stable as a coupe by adding additional supports (pictured above) then imagine the stiffness of a coupe with the same treatment. Although the convertible does have an additional third layer between the frame rails that the coupe uses, that would be unnecessary to use in the coupe/ZL1. The braces in this picture can be easily bolted on the underside and look like they really tie the chassis together... If we could get a confirmation from "someone that is in the know" that would be awesome...

Thanks again Snake, that pic is better than what I hoped for. It clearly illustrates the braces and shows how the convertible was able to remain solid without the roof supporting the vehicle... The simplicity, low cost and low weight of the braces could very well see the ZL1 adopting those pieces...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #21
radz28
Petro-sexual

I wouldn't be surprised NOT to see additional bracing (except the STB we've already seen) under ZL1. There are a few of our Communities' Sponsors that don't believe SFCs are even necessary; one of which is a hard-core racing company (the other doesn't make race parts, they say; they make street parts you can race). It seems to me the use of high-strength low-alloy steels in the rockers and other areas probably offer enough strength by themselves. As far as the subframe rail run back toward the rear torque box, I don't know they would do much on the coupe anyways...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #22
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised NOT to see additional bracing (except the STB we've already seen) under ZL1. There are a few of our Communities' Sponsors that don't believe SFCs are even necessary; one of which is a hard-core racing company (the other doesn't make race parts, they say; they make street parts you can race). It seems to me the use of high-strength low-alloy steels in the rockers and other areas probably offer enough strength by themselves. As far as the subframe rail run back toward the rear torque box, I don't know they would do much on the coupe anyways...
I don't see any SFC's on the Chicago ZL1 in any of the underbody shots but it is a pre-production car. The exhaust pinches together real close after the axle, and that is where the rear "V" looks like it should bolt up. The STB in the ZL1 isn't a traditional bolt on, it needed some fabrication done to be mounted where other STB's use existing strut mount bolts. Its possible that some fabricating may need to be done for any SFC's if they needed to be used...

I think the transmission support is aggressive, the coupe may not see improvements but a heavier, more powerful ZL1 might... especially if said vehicle is expected to generate more G's than the SS and CTS-V.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #23
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
I don't see any SFC's on the Chicago ZL1 in any of the underbody shots but it is a pre-production car. The exhaust pinches together real close after the axle, and that is where the rear "V" looks like it should bolt up. The STB in the ZL1 isn't a traditional bolt on, it needed some fabrication done to be mounted where other STB's use existing strut mount bolts. Its possible that some fabricating may need to be done for any SFC's if they needed to be used...

I think the transmission support is aggressive, the coupe may not see improvements but a heavier, more powerful ZL1 might... especially if said vehicle is expected to generate more G's than the SS and CTS-V.
Yeah - I can' either. There aren't but a few undercarriage shots, which I was a little disappointed (because that's where I think a lot of the magic happens). I saw those pinches, too, right before going into the mufflers? I haven't seen any of the convert's braces, so I can't speculate, yet :( I kinda' wonder, though, if a handful off nut-zerts and a good, sharp drill bit, will get that STB on a non-ZL1 car, though. I know that's some STRONG and thick steel right there, but don't think it'd be too bad.

I don't know if you're familiar with 4th Gens, but I recall extra rocker panel bracing, just out-board of the pinch welds. Perhaps, ZL1 will have something like this, too They had a different tranny brace and an additional X-brace, too.

I certainly think that a car with a higher-tuned chassis and stickier tires is going to impose more torsional forces on the car, but to what extent the body could handle is beyond me I'm VERY eage to learn though! I wish we could get some more undercarriage shots. There's a lot of things I'd like to look at down there

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"