Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
CAI -vs- functional mail slot intake.

Has anyone compared a CAI with the kit that makes the mail slot functional? I would think the air that is forced into the mail slot would be better than any of the CAI's. Also the air coming into the car from the outside would be colder than the air coming from under the car.....right?

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
As far as I know there is no intake that utilizes the mailslot. There is the Vararam which is close but does not utilize the mailslot.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
Has anyone compared a CAI with the kit that makes the mail slot functional? I would think the air that is forced into the mail slot would be better than any of the CAI's. Also the air coming into the car from the outside would be colder than the air coming from under the car.....right?

Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
As far as I know there is no intake that utilizes the mailslot. There is the Vararam which is close but does not utilize the mailslot.
This. The closest thing is an Over The Radiator CAI. However there is a vendor on here (user name CFD) whom made the mailslot functional. But I know he put a LOT of custom fabrication into it.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
mySSt

Drives: '11 SS M6, '14 SS 1LE, '17 SS 1LE
OHIOSS, It's the same air whether from front grill area or thru wheel well when u r at speed. If any differences in air temp or pressure - should only be very minor difference.

'11 CGM SS M6 ordered in 3/11, '14 BRM SS 1LE from stock in 10/13 & '17 HBM SS 1LE in 11/16 - all from BeckyD!!
mySSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
It would never move enough cfm to feed the engine.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
There are no kits for a mailslot scoop or air intake that I am aware of. There was/is a kit that consists of a radiator support that utilizes the mailslot to allow air flow to the engine bay but not the air intake, it uses the area of the small plastic insert which is tiny and I don't think of much bennefit. I do have a maislot scoop that feeds the intake on my car but it does require quite a bit of fabrication, you can see it in my build thread, it may give you some ideas.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170726
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
OHIOSS
Russ

There are more than 1 kit available to make the mail slot functional. The link below is from Phastek.

The air being forced into the mail slot won't be enough? Wouldn't that be the case if you were sitting still? I would think if you were running it would force plenty of air but I could be wrong.

Home > SHOP BY BRAND: Camaro Parts > ACS Composites >

ACS T3 Functional Mail Slot Rad Support #33-4-073 :: 2010-2013 ACS Camaro SS

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...#ixzz2HA2BM8vM
Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
I personnaly don't like the idea to have an air intake closed into a box or with a heat shield. I beleive that there is not enough fresh air coming to the filter from the front grill.

I installed an open filter type of air intake (G5CR) and I also have a Nicky Chicago Stinger hood with a ram air that takes the fresh air directly to the filter, and I love it.

Although not everyone will choose that type of air intake, ACS Composite has a kit that will let the air go through the mail slot. asccomposite.com.

Name:  breather2.jog.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  157.8 KB

Name:  devant sep 2012.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  137.2 KB
Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Birm

No one said you couldn't make the mail slot functional, we said there was no air intake kit designed to utilize the mail slot (as in filter/tube to throttle body to manifold)...
Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
No one said you couldn't make the mail slot functional, we said there was no air intake kit designed to utilize the mail slot (as in filter/tube to throttle body to manifold)...

Sorry I misunderstood. Are you saying the kits do not directly connect to the car's intake? That would be a deal breaker.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
Birm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
Sorry I misunderstood. Are you saying the kits do not directly connect to the car's intake? That would be a deal breaker.
No bud, all that kit does is make your mailslot functional meaning air will come into the engine bay. There is no intake system designed to work with it though. I'm sure someone could fabricate something but there is nothing out at the moment.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #12
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
No bud, all that kit does is make your mailslot functional meaning air will come into the engine bay. There is no intake system designed to work with it though. I'm sure someone could fabricate something but there is nothing out at the moment.
Great information, thanks! If/when someone makes a tube to connect directly to the intake I will consider buying it. Until then I am going to keep my CAI that I have installed.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
1969to2010
The Man in Black

Drives: 1969 Camaro 2010 Camaro 1SS
I think there's a hood (revolution maybe ?) That feeds air from the slot in the hood (not mail slot )right into the Cai which would have the effect your looking for

Maybe I'm losing my mind bc I can't find it
Old 01-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #14
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Making the mailslot scoop to tie into the intake wasn't that big of a deal, it's the installation that is a bit of work, it requires removing the facia, cutting and trimming the facia and I used an Airaid intake as it uses the stock snorkel, I fabricated a new one that accepts the ducts from the mailslot scoop, I did this in case of very heavy rain, that way the mailslot scoop could be shut off and still have adequate airflow. I've driven through some very severe rain and even with the lower scoops and mailslot scoop I've vever had a problem.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote