Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
5th gen drive shaft area of concern.

found this one LS1 TECH.

Dont forget the 2 piece driveshaft which may twist/break easier needing replacement for a 1 pc like in the modded GT500's and modded Mustang GT's.

It will ride smooth though with less vibration into the cabin.

The 5th gen will be getting a 2 pc DS???

yep, you can see it here

http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/previewpage?048183

really not a suprise. just one more thing to swap that will pick up 10 hp and a tenth

The base engine for the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro includes a 3.6L SIDI engine producing 304 bhp and 270 lb. ft. of torque. Standard transmission is an Aisan Warner, six-speed manual. A six-speed Hydra-Matic 6L50 automatic may be ordered. All models feature an independent rear suspension system as standard equipment. X10AR_CH012 (United States)
Yea. The new GT's have 2 pc DS from the factory also, and have seen some pretty good RWHP improvements by going to an aftermarket 1 pc DS. But for someone looking to stay stock or close to stock, the 2 pc unit does make for a really smooth quiet ride.

Well back when I had my V6 Camaro a lot of them came with 2 piece ones. They either had a 1 piece steel or 2 peace steel. If you had the 2 peace steel you could change to the 1 piece steel and lose some weight and if you wanted to spend some money you could go with the 1 piece aluminum out of an ls1 car to save even more weight.

http://forum.camaro*******/showthread.php?t=9906

I cannot really say how much my lt1 driveshaft helped my times since I did a rear axle swap and got 3.42s and lsd at the same time. but either way it is lighter then a stock 2 piece one, usually only costs like $25, AND most important, is likely not to have a center bearing go bad, and cause problems(like mine did)

here are some pics for comparison same years:

2 piece steel
Attached Images

Last edited by 13F20; 09-17-2008 at 06:24 PM.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Yes yes yes, we will have a 2 peice drive shaft. YES it will hold up to mods, NO it wont hold on outrageous amounts of HP.

PS - the replacements for the GT's are bad because they don't allow for rear passengers (too much weight in the rear and the ds contacts the body/frame). That's for the 4" shafts that are the most common. You can get a 3.5 that doesn't but they are more expensive because they are generally custom made.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Silverghost

Drives: Z28
I'd rather replace a broken driveshaft than a broken rear-end, I've seen some of the Goats break their rears after doing the swap. Just have to wait and see if GM has beefed any of the components up with the 5th Gen.

www.rivercityperformance.com
Silverghost is offline   Reply With Quote