Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #15
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Dr. Colorchip works well on small paint chips, used it on my car, only thing is when you polish, the paint can be removed so you'll have to re-apply afterwards.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:25 PM   #16
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Dr. Colorchip works well on small paint chips, used it on my car, only thing is when you polish, the paint can be removed so you'll have to re-apply afterwards.
Sweet, thanks for the advice. What about when applying wax? Will it come off?
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:24 PM   #17
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
Sweet, thanks for the advice. What about when applying wax? Will it come off?
No. You just have to wait 3 days to apply wax to the painted chip, Dr. Colorchip dries fast and cures slow.

The 39 dollar kit will have enough product to do a lot of chips, I got the 59 dollar one and used maybe 1/5 of it on a dozen small chips, and road rash on both of the "gill" areas on the rear panels.

Don't use the towel that comes with it for buffing, (the blue microfiber one), it's cheap made in China junk. Speaking of junk, the Junkman gives an excellent use for this type of towel, use it in the wash with your other microfibers, every bit of lint will stick to it, leaving your good towels lint free.

The "road rash" areas, (lots of tiny chips concentrated in one area), dip your finger in the bottle and spread it over the area as shown here at 12:12 in this video. When you use the sealact (the excess remover that comes with the kit) take your time and use light pressure.

When your doing individual small chips, you may have to layer 2 to 3 times to completely fill the chip, put a small drop of paint right next to the chip, and slowly drag it across the chip, I used a soft laminated card to do this.

I found waiting 20 mins before using sealact gave the paint enough time to dry when doing these, so it wasn't easily pulled out when using sealact to remove excess, and enough time to settle, so if needed, another application would increase the filling.

The individual chips I had ranged from 1/4 to 1/2 the size of a standard pencil eraser.

It supposedly works best on darker colors. Worked really well on my Victory Red. I was advised to use it by another forum member who has Black, who also had excellent results with it.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:25 PM   #18
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
No. You just have to wait 3 days to apply wax to the painted chip, Dr. Colorchip dries fast and cures slow.

The 39 dollar kit will have enough product to do a lot of chips, I got the 59 dollar one and used maybe 1/5 of it on a dozen small chips, and road rash on both of the "gill" areas on the rear panels.

Don't use the towel that comes with it for buffing, (the blue microfiber one), it's cheap made in China junk. Speaking of junk, the Junkman gives an excellent use for this type of towel, use it in the wash with your other microfibers, every bit of lint will stick to it, leaving your good towels lint free.

The "road rash" areas, (lots of tiny chips concentrated in one area), dip your finger in the bottle and spread it over the area as shown here at 12:12 in this video. When you use the sealact (the excess remover that comes with the kit) take your time and use light pressure.

When your doing individual small chips, you may have to layer 2 to 3 times to completely fill the chip, put a small drop of paint right next to the chip, and slowly drag it across the chip, I used a soft laminated card to do this.

I found waiting 20 mins before using sealact gave the paint enough time to dry when doing these, so it wasn't easily pulled out when using sealact to remove excess, and enough time to settle, so if needed, another application would increase the filling.

The individual chips I had ranged from 1/4 to 1/2 the size of a standard pencil eraser.

It supposedly works best on darker colors. Worked really well on my Victory Red. I was advised to use it by another forum member who has Black, who also had excellent results with it.
That's a pretty cool system. Now when you say polish, would the paint always come off? I've used the paint pens before with "ify" success. I got the same mass of paint chips at the rear lower "gill" areas, but my gills have inlayed red decals on them too. Do you think this would pose a problem? Also, which system did you purchase? I found a couple different on their website. Thanks!
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:54 AM   #19
Joe M 2012 2SS

The paint only came off with compound used over the chips I had "layered". One application afterwards filled them back.

To avoid getting paint on decals, tape them off before using it. Painter's or masking tape.

I bought the 59 dollar road rash kit, but the 39 dollar basic would have been enough as I only used 1/5 of the larger kit. A dozen small chips and road rash on both gills is what I used it on.

I cannot tell for sure by the picture of your car, but it looks like you may have OEM splashguards behind your front tires. I installed these which I got off E-bay for 39.99 and haven't had any new chips on sides or rear quarters.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #20
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Sweet, thanks! I'm gonna look into the dr colorchip for sure. Seems easy and has decent results. Yes I have the OEM splash guards. Thanks for the advice and heads up about dr colorchip.

More to come.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:20 PM   #21
SSlow5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: Midnight 2010
What is a Pc?
SSlow5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:02 PM   #22
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSlow5thgen View Post
What is a Pc?
Porter Cable. A random orbital. Can be used as as polisher or sander. Depends on the backing plates used.

More to come.